Notifications
Clear all

How To Stop The Pill And Avoid Horrible Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/04/2014 10:55 am

Can anyone recommend a treatment regimen to have in place before one stops taking birth control for acne?

I'm 37 years old and have been taking birth control for acne since my early 20's. (My moderate acne developed into nodular cystic stuff when I was 22 years old.) Due to health risks, I want to stop taking the Pill but would like to have at least some form of plan in place before doing so.

About 7 years ago, I stopped taking the Pill for 9 months, which was as long as I could withstand the breakouts. I began breaking out in various areas, including my arms and legs; of course, my facial skin became much more "active" in terms of cystic acne. I broke at the 9-month mark, going back on the Pill.

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/04/2014 12:44 pm

If your acne responds significantly to starting and stopping the pill, then you may be SOL. If you are not stopping the pill for family planning reasons (i.e., you are concerned about thrombosis or for reasons unrelated to hormones) then you can speak to your doctor about spironolactone.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/04/2014 12:50 pm

Hi.

I don't know where you live but if you live in Canada there is a product called Estrosmart by Lorna Vanderhaeghe which you can take for a few months before going off the pill. It will help regulate your hormones so you don't have a massive breakout when you go off the pill. It is recommended that women take this everyday anyways to help with period issues, fibroids, acne and other concerns. I believe there is a website if you want to investigate it further.

Just to clarify I have absolutely nothing to do with the product but both my daughter and I take it.

Good luck.