Notifications
Clear all

Birth Control Help

MemberMember
(@taylorswiftlover123)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:03 pm

Hello there. I have been on generic ortho tri cyclen for over a year, and last Aug, it started to give me occasional cystic chin again. I switched to Ortho-cyclen in October, and between October and January I didn't break out at all. At this time I was also using Duac, Retina Micro, and Oracea. In January, I stopped Oracea and began to break out. My derm wants to switch my birth control to Estrostep or Ortho Tri-Cyclen(brand name). Any thoughts on what I should do? I am also taking solodyn.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:13 pm

Hello there. I have been on generic ortho tri cyclen for over a year, and last Aug, it started to give me occasional cystic chin again. I switched to Ortho-cyclen in October, and between October and January I didn't break out at all. At this time I was also using Duac, Retina Micro, and Oracea. In January, I stopped Oracea and began to break out. My derm wants to switch my birth control to Estrostep or Ortho Tri-Cyclen(brand name). Any thoughts on what I should do? I am also taking solodyn.

Estrostep is norethindrone acetate + ethinyl estradiol.

Ortho is norgestimate + ethinyl estradiol.

None of these are associated with a (significantly) higher risk of deep vein thrombosis.

I haven't seen any studies comparing these two specifically, but I guess they'd be the same in effectiveness.

Concerning other skin effects, watch out for jaundice or melasma/discoloration.

You may have to go on Accutane.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@taylorswiftlover123)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:17 pm

None of these are associated with a (significantly) higher risk of deep vein thrombosis.

I haven't seen any studies comparing these two specifically, but I guess they'd be the same in effectiveness.

Good luck!

Thanks for responding to me! My doctor actually won't prescribe me Accutane. Do you know anything about estrostep being more androgenic? I have heard it can worsen your acne. Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:30 pm

Good luck!

Thanks for responding to me! My doctor actually won't prescribe me Accutane. Do you know anything about estrostep being more androgenic? I have heard it can worsen your acne. Any thoughts?

Hey, no problem! :)

Is your doctor a general practitioner? That's probably why he won't prescribe it to you, or that you need to try everything else first.

Source time! :D

Cyproterone acetate, dienogest, and dienogest are more anti-androgenic than norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol. [ http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/antiandrogens.html ]

Older BCP pills with antiandrogens are likelier to cause or worsen acne. These BCP ones are rarely prescribed.

Going off BCP will make acne flare, because the androgen levels are going back to normal. Strangely, this incidence hasn't been studied yet.

I doubt the newer BCPs will actually cause your acne. Some people report flaring, but that's likely because of coincidence.

MemberMember
(@taylorswiftlover123)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:33 pm

Good luck!

Hey, no problem!

Is your doctor a general practitioner? That's probably why he won't prescribe it to you, or that you need to try everything else first.

Source time!

Cyproterone acetate, dienogest, and dienogest are more anti-androgenic than norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol. [ http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/antiandrogens.html ]

Older BCP pills with antiandrogens are likelier to cause or worsen acne. These BCP ones are rarely prescribed.

Going off BCP will make acne flare, because the androgen levels are going back to normal. Strangely, this incidence hasn't been studied yet.

I doubt the newer BCPs will actually cause your acne. Some people report flaring, but that's likely because of coincidence.

Yeah my dermo won't prescribe it because it isn't bad enough. I have just dealt with it for so long and I am so frustrated. I just want a solution! I am scared and can't decide what birth control to pick. Ortho Tri Cyclen seems to work well for many, and there are so many reviews online. I was on it previously, so I am not sure if that is good or bad. Estrostep is one that I have never heard of, but apparently it is good for acne as well. It doesn't have many reviews, especially on here. I just am tired of dealing with this problem!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:59 pm

Good luck!

Hey, no problem!

Source time!

Yeah my dermo won't prescribe it because it isn't bad enough. I have just dealt with it for so long and I am so frustrated. I just want a solution! I am scared and can't decide what birth control to pick. Ortho Tri Cyclen seems to work well for many, and there are so many reviews online. I was on it previously, so I am not sure if that is good or bad. Estrostep is one that I have never heard of, but apparently it is good for acne as well. It doesn't have many reviews, especially on here. I just am tired of dealing with this problem!

Give it about 3-6 months. If nothing improves much if anything at all, then it's likely a course of Accutane.

Sometimes, I wish investigators would hurry up on the low-dose Accutane research!

MemberMember
(@taylorswiftlover123)

Posted : 03/03/2014 10:29 pm

Estrostep is norethindrone acetate + ethinyl estradiol. Ortho is norgestimate + ethinyl estradiol. None of these are associated with a (significantly) higher risk of deep vein thrombosis. I haven't seen any studies comparing these two specifically, but I guess they'd be the same in effectiveness. Concerning other skin effects, watch out for jaundice or melasma/discoloration. You may have to go on Accutane. Good luck!

Hey, no problem! Is your doctor a general practitioner? That's probably why he won't prescribe it to you, or that you need to try everything else first. Source time! Cyproterone acetate, dienogest, and dienogest are more anti-androgenic than norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol. [] http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/antiandrogens.html ] Older BCP pills with antiandrogens are likelier to cause or worsen acne. These BCP ones are rarely prescribed. Going off BCP will make acne flare, because the androgen levels are going back to normal. Strangely, this incidence hasn't been studied yet. I doubt the newer BCPs will actually cause your acne. Some people report flaring, but that's likely because of coincidence.

Give it about 3-6 months. If nothing improves much if anything at all, then it's likely a course of Accutane. Sometimes, I wish investigators would hurry up on the low-dose Accutane research!

Do you think I should do the ortho tri cyclen or the estrostep?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/03/2014 10:35 pm

Estrostep is norethindrone acetate + ethinyl estradiol. Ortho is norgestimate + ethinyl estradiol. None of these are associated with a (significantly) higher risk of deep vein thrombosis. I haven't seen any studies comparing these two specifically, but I guess they'd be the same in effectiveness. Concerning other skin effects, watch out for jaundice or melasma/discoloration. You may have to go on Accutane. Good luck!

Hey, no problem! Is your doctor a general practitioner? That's probably why he won't prescribe it to you, or that you need to try everything else first. Source time! Cyproterone acetate, dienogest, and dienogest are more anti-androgenic than norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol. [] http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/antiandrogens.html ] Older BCP pills with antiandrogens are likelier to cause or worsen acne. These BCP ones are rarely prescribed. Going off BCP will make acne flare, because the androgen levels are going back to normal. Strangely, this incidence hasn't been studied yet. I doubt the newer BCPs will actually cause your acne. Some people report flaring, but that's likely because of coincidence.

Give it about 3-6 months. If nothing improves much if anything at all, then it's likely a course of Accutane. Sometimes, I wish investigators would hurry up on the low-dose Accutane research!

Do you think I should do the ortho tri cyclen or the estrostep?

Side effects are similar. If I were you, I'd go with whichever the derm preferred. If she said they were interchangeable, I'd go with whatever is covered better with the insurance, and preferably one with the most user reviews.