Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tips For Salicylic Acid Use?

So I've been using BP for quite some time (2 years or so) but am eager to try salicylic acid again since I think BP is not the perfect solution for me, new pimples still form and my face is more red than I would like. The last time I tried 2% salicylic acid, it got rid of redness really well, made skin feel very refreshed and good but I only lasted a week on it since a lot of new pimples formed.

I am giving salicylic acid another try and will use for more than a week this time. The last time I did not moisturize and my skin became really really oily. But this was also in the summertime maybe this time is different. This time I will also moisturize - is that okay?

I would use the same sal acid that i did the first time - neutrogena 3-in-1 spot stress control or something.

Any other tips I should know? Should I just stick with only sal acid or include something else too when a bunch of pimples inevitably for in the beginning atleast?

So I've been using BP for quite some time (2 years or so) but am eager to try salicylic acid again since I think BP is not the perfect solution for me, new pimples still form and my face is more red than I would like. The last time I tried 2% salicylic acid, it got rid of redness really well, made skin feel very refreshed and good but I only lasted a week on it since a lot of new pimples formed.

I am giving salicylic acid another try and will use for more than a week this time. The last time I did not moisturize and my skin became really really oily. But this was also in the summertime maybe this time is different. This time I will also moisturize - is that okay?

I would use the same sal acid that i did the first time - neutrogena 3-in-1 spot stress control or something.

Any other tips I should know? Should I just stick with only sal acid or include something else too when a bunch of pimples inevitably for in the beginning atleast?

How much BP and moisturizers are you using?

Use salicylic acid in the morning. BP as a spot treatment for occasional inflamed pimples. If you have inflamed pimples everywhere, I think you should go to a dermatologist, as you may need oral antibiotics.

Use salicylic acid (preferably 2%) at a dime-sized amount

Use sunscreen with SPF 30+ daily.

Use salicylic acid in the morning. BP as a spot treatment for occasional inflamed pimples. If you have inflamed pimples everywhere, I think you should go to a dermatologist, as you may need oral antibiotics.

a normal amount. have experimented with both once a day, twice a day also, basically same result. I have went to dermatologist in the past, was prescribed Duac gel which worked incredibly well and is the only one that has worked as well as I would have hoped.

If my current trial with SA fails I will go again and probably get duac again. I think I really like the idea of SA in the morning and BP at night.

a normal amount. have experimented with both once a day, twice a day also, basically same result. I have went to dermatologist in the past, was prescribed Duac gel which worked incredibly well and is the only one that has worked as well as I would have hoped.

If my current trial with SA fails I will go again and probably get duac again. I think I really like the idea of SA in the morning and BP at night.

It's too bad that the FDA ruled that OTC drugs for acne can't go beyond 2% salicylic acid. Which is strange, considering you can get stuff with 20% salicylic acid as long as it doesn't make any drug claims.

I like using salicylic acid too! It's nice that you don't have to use it at night, like glycolic acid and especially retinoids.

How long will your trial last?

okay I'm on my 3rd day now and results are very encouraging, no new pimples and redness noticeably down with using only SA in the morning and evening.

will switch to SA/BP should a bunch of pimples form but i am hoping not

edit: my skin again gets very very oily. I find it weird as supposedly SA is supposed to help combat oily skin. Should I maybe stick with 1 application daily or bump up to 3?

Edited by Guest

okay I'm on my 3rd day now and results are very encouraging, no new pimples and redness noticeably down with using only SA in the morning and evening.

will switch to SA/BP should a bunch of pimples form but i am hoping not

edit: my skin again gets very very oily. I find it weird as supposedly SA is supposed to help combat oily skin. Should I maybe stick with 1 application daily or bump up to 3?

Salicylic acid doesn't suppress sebum itself. It can just penetrate the lipid-rich barrier in skin.

You can try 2x daily if you want. Just be careful.

day 4.

skin was a lot less oily today during the day and still no big pimples or anything, just a whitehead here and there which disappear quickly.

very very happy so far

day 5.

got myself a new moisturizer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nivea-Visage-Oil-Free-Moisturising-Cream/dp/B001RYSGEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394214132&sr=8-1&keywords=nivea+oil+free+moisturiser

works as advertised and skin is not shiny anymore

Edited by Guest