Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arpazia

Presidone - Long Term Side Effects

sad.gif So, I thought that this would happen anyway after the presidone was out of my system and, even though I thought it, it doesn't make me any happier. (My brother recently called me Quasimodo.)

I just completed a week worth of presidone on Monday and now my cysts are starting to swell again. It's like they never went away in the first place - - they were just dormat, waiting to come back and dominate my face. I finished my antibiotic yesterday that was supposed to clear up all this excess bacteria. If bacteria is the puss inside the cysts then it didn't do anything.

(Now, admittedly -- I am being dramatic and there are only three cysts that I am concerned about. I am beginning month three and I "think" the Accutane is finally working so why am I so upset over two cysts...a soceity built on perfection perhaps?!)

Nevertheless, I am tempted to call my doctor and request a refill of this steroid that I've heard such a mixture of bad and good things about. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about the long term side effects.

I know this thing with Accutane is a journey but I am getting really frustrated with how slow the results are. I am not even sure if my acne from before is clearing up or its just the initial breakout that is going away. Agrhhhh! doubt.gif

Hey Arpazia.. long term effects of Prednisalone include weight gain and water retention causing your face to swell and look fatter. I think that prednisalone is very effective whilst your on it, bnut when you're off, there are repercussions. I was on Pred for first 20 days of accutane course when my acne was severely infamed as well as fluxlocillian penicillin.. when i came off them, my acne ust got worse. i too am SO tired of the waiting and looking so bad. Im on month 3, go freqently to the derm to get shots of cortisone and the accutane is working, i know it is, but its taking so long. You read about people who clear in 2 weeks, or a month and im like, it must not be working for me and i just get depressed and desperate for it to clear.

I think its wise to stay off the prednisalone, because there are other long terme ffects other than the ones above, although i dont know ins and outs, but its something to do with thinning of skin and veins widening...which gives the anti inflammatoryness of them.

Dormant cysts are the worst. you can't see them, but you can feel them and they aren't inflamed and then out of the blue they decide to pop up like absolute monsters and its just the crappest thing in the world. I KNOW well how this feels.

All the best, keep on going.

Frankie

Frankie: I heard that most people get stunning results by their third month. I think this is what I am hanging onto but it seems as if you are suffering the exact same breakouts I am during month two. How far along into month three are you?

Also, do you think that what is clearing up now is just clearing up from the initial breakout.

P.S. I just saw a herbalist who believes my acne is completely related to my hormones. He gave me a test for $12 to test my hormones. I need to fill these giant test tubes up with spit and send them away to the lab. I am just wondering why my dermatologist never said anything to me about this...especially since its so cheap and it seems like the obvious answer to my breakouts...

hi arpazia,

my son was on accutane for 7 months and took the predisone the first month of accutane. For that first month, no initial breakout at all and it looked awesome. But once he stopped all hell broke loose and he had a nasty, nasty breakout that lasted for 4 months. I honestly believe that the predisone held back the initial breakout one extra month. I remember the derm telling me that it was to stop the initial breakout but that never happened. He stayed on the accutane for two extra months. He was 90% clear after 5 months and needed that extra two for a total clearing. He has been off for 5 months and I have to say he is not 100% clear. He gets a pimple here and there and sometimes a little more but they are nothing compared to before accutane. They also dont last long and are really small. He is upset that he is not 100% clear like he was initially after the accutane but I think he still looks great. I hope it doesnt get worse and he will need a 2nd course. Hang in there. Also how old are you and what is your dosage?

I am twenty-seven. I am on 40 mg right now but will be up to 60 mg in two days. By the end of November, I will be on 80 mg a day. The doctor seems to think that by slowly upping my dosage, it will avoid another major breakout. I am 5'8 and weigh 125 so I wonder if 80 mg a day is too much...

Since my acne is basically cystic, I could deal with a pimple here and there every once in a while as long as they are small and quick to heal. What was your son's dosage and height and weight?

I am twenty-seven.  I am on 40 mg right now but will be up to 60 mg in two days.  By the end of November, I will be on 80 mg a day.  The doctor seems to think that by slowly upping my dosage, it will avoid another major breakout.  I am 5'8 and weigh 125 so I wonder if 80 mg a day is too much... 

Since my acne is basically cystic, I could deal with a pimple here and there every once in a while as long as they are small and quick to heal.  What was your son's dosage and height and weight?

Well, it started in July of this year after three years of clarity then, suddenly, out-of-nowhere, giant, erupting, gooey, terrible cysts all over both cheeks! For years, I had been using Glycol-C Pads everyday and it got rid of those nasty cysts. Prior to this point, although I had acne, it was never bad enough for Accutane. I would get the monthly, hormonal cyst. That's right, one. And, some months, it didn't show at all.

Since I had long developed an immunity to minocyclin and nothing oral or topical was working, Accutane seemed like my last resort. I got the blood work done and started it in September. At that point, my forehead decided to have a little zit party (many of them weren't little though).

Currently, I have a giant, squishy thing on my forehead next to the hairline, one coming up on my right cheek that is huge and painful (at least half an inch -ewww) and one on my chin that has been there for a month or so (it keeps getting bigger than smaller via cortisone and other fun steroids). In addition to these monsters, I have smaller ones decorating my recently erupted forehead and my left cheek. It's a really gross situation that started on my cheeks and now is moving all over the place.

I just went to a herbalist today and bought primrose oil and a hormone testing kit. The primrose is supposed to fool the body into thinking that it already has enough oil and to tell the glands to stop producing. He told me that he sees things like this all the time in women going through changes or pregnancy or puberty. He said it looks hormonal to him. I am hoping the tests show that it is and I can just take a mixture of vitamins/supplements and embrace clear skin again.

How about you, GO? I've always wondered since you were so anxious about Accutane.

Hey Arpazia..

You sound very similar to me. Im on day. 86.. so only just into my third month. Im hoping somethings gonna happen soon. I can say that within the last 2/3 weeks skin has changed dramatically but still very ugly looking.A huge lump is never gonna look good. I have never had anything like this before. Im 19, 74kg,

5 ft 11 and my skin has always been acne prone, but controllable and nothing that effected me too badly but out of the blue, it decidesr to go AWOL.

I too am questioning if its something hormonal so tommorow im going to my regular doc to get dianette, which i guess is the same as america diane 35.Maybe this'll work.. fingers crossed. I think a lot offemale problems come down to hormonal things..MAYBE THIS IS THE LONG AWAITED ANSWER FOR US!!!

I think its so difficult to decifer whats the trigger factor for it. I got an infection when travelling,my chin swelled and within 2 weeks, my face was covered.. it was really sore and i was getting huge huge cysts, that last for months.Its absolute crazyness.

My initial breakout was pretty bad, but because i wasnt accustomed to this kind of acne before, i cant say that it defnitely was an initial breakout or just how my acne had turned but it was severe. Its very possible that you're suffering and just overcoming your initial breakout.. Yours sounds like a similar severity to mine and my skin is noticabley better than a month ago or even two weeks so hang in there. Im confident it'll work for us, although sometimes i do wonder,its just a waiting game of a rollercoaster i suppose.

All the best,

Check my log if you want to see how things went/are going or Pm or Email!!

Frankie

p.s/ i was started on 20mg to keep breakout minimal, then 40mg for a month, now 60mg and eventually 80mg!! Exactly the same as you!!

I don't know why drs keep prescribing steroids for acne. sure they help in the short run, but in the long run you pay for it and then some.

steroids are the reason for my 2nd course of tane - I've never had that bad of a breakout. And I was 34 years old at the time. I went from 2 or 3 zits to 200 or 3 hundred in about 5 weeks.

it looked like someone beat my face with a wirebrush.

i agree colonel.. i think there's something with steroid treatment for acne thats not good. lots of people report prolonged accutane doses as a result and long breakouts that are horrific and last for a lenghty amount of time. Im not sure if that was the case for me or not, but i have a inclin it might have had some adverse affects on me post prednisalone taking!

Thank you all so much for your responses. It really helps me a lot to know that there are other people out there experiencing the same exact thing. I've decided to stay away from steroids for a while (cortisone included) and made an appointment with an endocrinologist to get my hormones tested. The appointment is next week. I hope I've finally found something.

P.S. My fiance took my Accutane away from me this morning. He insists that it is just making my face breakout over and over and over again. I can't say I disagree with him. Thus far, the results aren't pretty.

i think you should carry on with the accutane. I would say thats its probably the prednisalone thats caused all the chaos. I think this was the case with me, because otherwise, id still be breaking out like crazy.. as it is im not, im just not clearing or healing but im stopping breaking out.

I would advise to stay on the accutane, but at the end of the day, it is your choice. I sometimes feel like i just want to stop and maybe it'd just dissapear.. the accutane rollercoaster is ne hell of a ride. Fingers crossed in 2, 3 more months, i might be looking clear.I dont even care if its a few spots, but not huge crazy ass cysts.

Let us know how the hormonal check went, very interested to see if thats a key factor.

All the best,

Frankie

you asked me about my son - he was 14 at the time and weighed about 125 lbs and was about 5'4" tall. He started at 80 mg and stayed on that until the end of the 7 month course. Please reconsider taking the accutane - honestly, we also thought of stopping them at one time because it looked as if nothing was happening at all. His skin was a disaster for a very long time. It just wouldn't stop breaking out. But then all of a sudden it stopped and started to heal. Like I said not until at least the end of 4 months and beginning of 5. Then it was like lightning - it just went away. Again his skin is not perfect but it looks damn good. Give it some more time. And again, I truly believe that the predisone was part of that problem.

I don't know why drs keep prescribing steroids for acne.  sure they help in the short run, but in the long run you pay for it and then some.

steroids are the reason for my 2nd course of tane - I've never had that bad of a breakout.  And I was 34 years old at the time.  I went from 2 or 3 zits to 200 or 3 hundred in about 5 weeks.

Why did this happen to you now?  Can you explain further?  Were you prescribed prednisone to treat acne?

it looked like someone beat my face with a wirebrush.

Colonel - That was a wierd post of mine. I got the quote all messed up somehow. Let me try again. Can you explain further? Were you prescribed prednisone to treat acne originally?

I went to some dumbass GP for what looked like dozens of tiny warts that were spreading very fast - he thought it was eczema or something, and he prescribe Diprosone cream.

I started putting it all over my face, and within a few days, they started to go away. So with no further MD guidance - and almost no initial instruction, I continued the treatment for about 4 weeks.

at the 5 week mark, I woke up and my face was very red and swollen. a couple of days later, I started to get severe folliculitis around my mouth. over the next week everything spread and the zits got bigger and deeper.

About 2 months after I started the Diprosone, there wasn't an inch of my face that wasn't covered with severe acne. And brother, it stayed that way for about 8 months. fucking nightmare.

so to answer your question, no it wasn't prednisone, but I avoid ALL steroids because according to a derm I trust, acne-prone people should AVOID ALL STEROIDS.