Sunblock/suscreen R...

Notifications
Clear all

Sunblock/suscreen Recommendations

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/01/2014 10:10 pm

Hey Regimen Peeps! I have been on the Regimen almost a year now and it's hands down the best thing to control my acne apart from Accutane. I am not 100% clear but my acne is negligible at best. Question for the experts, what sunblock/sunscreen can i use daily that will not interfere with my progress (will not break me out)? I have never used it in the past but now people are constantly asking me if i am tanning. I avoid the sun like the plague but there are times when i have to be out and about and i don't want to worry about damaging my skin by not using sunblock/sunscreen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 03/02/2014 12:17 am

You'll want something broad spectrum. I'd suggest Eucerine Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion With SPF. If you are going to be in the sun for prolonged periods and need a sunscreen alone, try Neutrogena Face Shield SPF 55. Aaaaaaannnnnnnd if you wear makeup and can't reapply your sunscreen (it needs to be reapplied every 2 hours), use Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Powder. It has an SPF of 30. All are broad spectrum, and all are non-comedeogenic. I'm a sunscreen junkie, and I love all of these products.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 1:01 am

Hey Regimen Peeps! I have been on the Regimen almost a year now and it's hands down the best thing to control my acne apart from Accutane. I am not 100% clear but my acne is negligible at best. Question for the experts, what sunblock/sunscreen can i use daily that will not interfere with my progress (will not break me out)? I have never used it in the past but now people are constantly asking me if i am tanning. I avoid the sun like the plague but there are times when i have to be out and about and i don't want to worry about damaging my skin by not using sunblock/sunscreen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Physical sunscreens are a little better for acne-prone skin. EltaMD makes a few nice physical sunscreens. For chemical ones, Neutrogena and L'Oreal have good ones too.

Edit: Please, for the love of God, don't make your own sunscreens! They're very tricky to make, and you can get even worse sunburn if you don't make it properly!

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:38 pm

Sunscreen is about the worst thing you can apply to your skin if you are acne prone. Get off harsh creams and lotions then you won't need a sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:05 pm

Sunscreen is about the worst thing you can apply to your skin if you are acne prone. Get off harsh creams and lotions then you won't need a sunscreen.

Dangerous advice. Not wearing sunscreen puts one at risk for photoaging, hyperpigmentation problems, or worse, skin cancer.

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:14 pm

Dangerous advice. Not wearing sunscreen puts one at risk for photoaging, hyperpigmentation problems, or worse, skin cancer.

You're at risk drinking water these days. Sunscreen is something to be avoided - just taking basic sensible precautions is all that is required. The sun is the most natural thing in the universe and believe it or not, the skin needs some of it. Smothering yourself in artificial sunscreen chemicals is a really bad thing for the human body.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:21 pm

You're at risk drinking water these days. Sunscreen is something to be avoided - just taking basic sensible precautions is all that is required. The sun is the most natural thing in the universe and believe it or not, the skin needs some of it. Smothering yourself in artificial sunscreen chemicals is a really bad thing for the human body.

Yes, we can make some Vitamin D from the sunlight. But UVA is everywhere, and clouds, windows, shade, and clothing won't protect you much. You're not safe in the winter, either, as most UV light reflects off snow.

"Chemical" sunscreens aren't bad. They don't penetrate the skin very well. Physical sunscreens containing titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are fine substitutes. Physical sunscreens don't penetrate the skin, either.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/02/2014 7:52 pm

If you're not going to provide a helpful recommendation, don't respond.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 03/04/2014 9:50 am

Dan's sunscreen tips: www.acne.org/spf.html