Notifications
Clear all

How I Got Rid Of My Blackheads

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/01/2014 8:08 am

Hello!

I just made a youtube video on how I got rid of my blackheads so I thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone.

You can watch the video here:

I'm going to be making a skin care series so subscribe to my channel if you're interested!

I had no blackheads at all after taking accutane but I used Garnier Summerbody tan on my face for a party ( I know, stupid idea....) and I developed like 15 blackheads on my nose!

I have learned my lesson now haha.

If you have any tips on blackheads then let me know so I can try them out

Morgo

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/02/2014 9:42 am

Hello! :)

I just made a youtube video on how I got rid of my blackheads so I thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone.

I'm going to be making a skin care series so subscribe to my channel if you're interested!

I had no blackheads at all after taking accutane but I used Garnier Summerbody tan on my face for a party ( I know, stupid idea....) and I developed like 15 blackheads on my nose! :(

If you have any tips on blackheads then let me know so I can try them out :D

Morgo

Off-topic (loved your video btw), but I noticed that you know a lot of good alternatives for expensive products - like you, I'm a student/peasant at the moment!

At the moment I'm suffering from blotchy dry areas on my skin (under my eyes and around the nose) which started after I stopped using acne.org's AHA, so I'm thinking I'm in need of some exfoliation. Are there any alternative (possibly a little more soothing) products similar to acne.org's glycolic or Paula's Choice BHA/AHA gels that you would recommend? I feel like my skin needs some regeneration because it's looking a bit...drab. Whilst using Dan's AHA, I actually couldn't use it on my dry areas because I found it made them itch more, so I'm thinking I maybe need a night cream with a low percentage exfoliant?

Anything you could recommend I try? It would be much appreciated!

Lewis

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/02/2014 12:56 pm

biore nose pore strips makes your pores bigger ? i havent noticed it i use one like every month

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:21 pm

Hello!

I had no blackheads at all after taking accutane but I used Garnier Summerbody tan on my face for a party ( I know, stupid idea....) and I developed like 15 blackheads on my nose!

If you have any tips on blackheads then let me know so I can try them out

Morgo

Off-topic (loved your video btw), but I noticed that you know a lot of good alternatives for expensive products - like you, I'm a student/peasant at the moment!

At the moment I'm suffering from blotchy dry areas on my skin (under my eyes and around the nose) which started after I stopped using acne.org's AHA, so I'm thinking I'm in need of some exfoliation. Are there any alternative (possibly a little more soothing) products similar to acne.org's glycolic or Paula's Choice BHA/AHA gels that you would recommend? I feel like my skin needs some regeneration because it's looking a bit...drab. Whilst using Dan's AHA, I actually couldn't use it on my dry areas because I found it made them itch more, so I'm thinking I maybe need a night cream with a low percentage exfoliant?

Anything you could recommend I try? It would be much appreciated!

Lewis

Thanks Lewis! Yes I am always looking for budget bargains :D Hahaha

Personally the cheapest AHA I can find (and also the most gentle) is Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream, but I get it in the US where it works out to about £7. Over here its about £11 online from ebay or amazon I think! Unfortunately I think glycolic acid is just an expensive ingredient :(

I do find it an amazing exfoliant though and it's ph is 4 which is perfect! Because of the cream form it stops me from getting dry and peel like I do from liquid AHAs.

I use it to get rid of my dry flakey skin as I get it a lot under my eyes and around my nose...

Also I find hot cloth cleansing (at night) tend to prevent this as since I started doing it, the flakes have gone completely. :)

hope I helped a little bit, sorry if I was useless :')

morgo

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:33 pm

Stop doubting your knowledge! You've been very helpful because I had no idea that product existed. Definitely going to get myself some!

Would you recommend the lotion, cream or replenishing night cream? I'm thinking the night cream since that's when I'll be likely to use it.

My face is a mess at the moment, not in terms of acne, just the overall appearance. Hopefully this will help me get a bit of a glow back to my skin.

Thanks!

Lewis

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 4:45 pm

Stop doubting your knowledge! You've been very helpful because I had no idea that product existed. Definitely going to get myself some!

Would you recommend the lotion, cream or replenishing night cream? I'm thinking the night cream since that's when I'll be likely to use it.

My face is a mess at the moment, not in terms of acne, just the overall appearance. Hopefully this will help me get a bit of a glow back to my skin.

Thanks!

Lewis

Is Alpha Hydrox available to you?

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/02/2014 4:49 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

well I'm glad I could be of some help :P

I would steer faaaaar clear of the lotion and night cream because the ingredients are atrocious. Only the oil-free treatment, the souffl© and the regular enhanced cream have good ingredients. It is moisturising so you can use it as a night cream anyway :)

The lotion has some of the most pore clogging ingredients known to man and the night cream is mineral oil based so will do little to help with the problems as the skin can't absorb it and may break you out.

I find the same thing with most brands unfortunately.... They have a couple of great products and then loads of products which make me cringe at the ingredients list!

Hope that helps!

If you do get it and like it then when I'm in LA I could grab you some if I see it really cheap and send it to you :)

morgo

Thanks!

Lewis

Sorry forgot to add:

The best things (other than glycolic acid) to get my skin glowing and looking healthy again are:

- Est©e lauder advanced night repair (so overpriced though at £48)

- Vitamin C serum (homemade and costs about 20p per batch)

- Hyaluronic acid (again homemade because I'm so poor at the moment haha)

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:10 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

It is available online in the UK however it's cheaper to buy it in the US. I buy like 6 at a time in walgreens when I go to across the pond haha

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:14 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

It is available online in the UK however it's cheaper to buy it in the US. I buy like 6 at a time in walgreens when I go to across the pond haha

Alpha Hydrox is awesome, and cheaper than Paula's Choice. :)

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:17 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

well I'm glad I could be of some help :P

I would steer faaaaar clear of the lotion and night cream because the ingredients are atrocious. Only the oil-free treatment, the souffl© and the regular enhanced cream have good ingredients. It is moisturising so you can use it as a night cream anyway :)

The lotion has some of the most pore clogging ingredients known to man and the night cream is mineral oil based so will do little to help with the problems as the skin can't absorb it and may break you out.

I find the same thing with most brands unfortunately.... They have a couple of great products and then loads of products which make me cringe at the ingredients list!

Hope that helps!

If you do get it and like it then when I'm in LA I could grab you some if I see it really cheap and send it to you :)

morgo

Sorry forgot to add:

The best things (other than glycolic acid) to get my skin glowing and looking healthy again are:

Thanks for the heads up. See, very helpful haha. Amazon didn't show the ingredients on the phone app, so now I know, I'll definitely avoid those two. The souffle sounds good, literally just because I imagine it to be the soft texture of an actual souffle.

Ooo I'm intrigued about the homemade stuff. Don't think I'd trust myself with anything acidic - I had a bit of a nightmare with apple cider vinegar. The burns still haven't gone away. Luckily that was only on my arm. How would I go about making the vitamin C serum? I'm a bit of a blonde when it comes to me actually doing things myself, something is always bound to go wrong.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:44 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

well I'm glad I could be of some help

I would steer faaaaar clear of the lotion and night cream because the ingredients are atrocious. Only the oil-free treatment, the souffl© and the regular enhanced cream have good ingredients. It is moisturising so you can use it as a night cream anyway

Hope that helps!

If you do get it and like it then when I'm in LA I could grab you some if I see it really cheap and send it to you

morgo

Sorry forgot to add:

Thanks for the heads up. See, very helpful haha. Amazon didn't show the ingredients on the phone app, so now I know, I'll definitely avoid those two. The souffle sounds good, literally just because I imagine it to be the soft texture of an actual souffle.

Ooo I'm intrigued about the homemade stuff. Don't think I'd trust myself with anything acidic - I had a bit of a nightmare with apple cider vinegar. The burns still haven't gone away. Luckily that was only on my arm. How would I go about making the vitamin C serum? I'm a bit of a blonde when it comes to me actually doing things myself, something is always bound to go wrong.

I always refer to drugstore.com or makeupalley.co.uk to find out ingredients! They are the best sites :)

I haven't personally tried the souffl© but I will be picking it up as it's 12% and I want a stronger one.

The vitamin C serum just requires water, vitamin C powder (L-ascorbic acid) and glycerin!

The biggest cost is spending £1.80 on a dropper bottle to keep it in :D made such a difference to my skin! I use it every night for a couple of weeks then just use the est©e lauder for a couple of weeks on it's own because I cba to make more when it runs out lol.

I can message you an exact recipe tomorrow evening if you want! Might make a youtube video about it in a couple of weeks too!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:52 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

I would steer faaaaar clear of the lotion and night cream because the ingredients are atrocious. Only the oil-free treatment, the souffl© and the regular enhanced cream have good ingredients. It is moisturising so you can use it as a night cream anyway

Hope that helps!

If you do get it and like it then when I'm in LA I could grab you some if I see it really cheap and send it to you

morgo

Sorry forgot to add:

I always refer to drugstore.com or makeupalley.co.uk to find out ingredients! They are the best sites :)

I haven't personally tried the souffl© but I will be picking it up as it's 12% and I want a stronger one.

The vitamin C serum just requires water, vitamin C powder (L-ascorbic acid) and glycerin!

The biggest cost is spending £1.80 on a dropper bottle to keep it in :D made such a difference to my skin! I use it every night for a couple of weeks then just use the est©e lauder for a couple of weeks on it's own because I cba to make more when it runs out lol.

I can message you an exact recipe tomorrow evening if you want! Might make a youtube video about it in a couple of weeks too!

Yeah, I use makeup alley a lot too when deciding on a product. :D

Thanks. Yeah I'll probably need the exact ingredients that you use because including the alpha hydrox...my amazon basket is coming up to £30.88! I always choose the expensive stuff...

Here's what I found:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UG3MUQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BF7ZGHVIIOVJ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007NI4PXK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3C1X1LE0A3AFD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FDO6AW0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APL8TMZ40RTDC

I'd hoped I'd get them a little cheaper! :P

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/02/2014 6:06 pm

Thanks!

Lewis

Hope that helps!

morgo

Sorry forgot to add:

I always refer to drugstore.com or makeupalley.co.uk to find out ingredients! They are the best sites

The biggest cost is spending £1.80 on a dropper bottle to keep it in made such a difference to my skin! I use it every night for a couple of weeks then just use the est©e lauder for a couple of weeks on it's own because I cba to make more when it runs out lol.

Yeah, I use makeup alley a lot too when deciding on a product.

Thanks. Yeah I'll probably need the exact ingredients that you use because including the alpha hydrox...my amazon basket is coming up to £30.88! I always choose the expensive stuff...

Here's what I found:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UG3MUQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BF7ZGHVIIOVJ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007NI4PXK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3C1X1LE0A3AFD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FDO6AW0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APL8TMZ40RTDC

I'd hoped I'd get them a little cheaper!

Here ya go:

Glycerin: http://www.boots.com/en/Value-Health-Glycerin-B-P-200ml_852418/

Dropper Bottle: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amber-Glass-Bottles-with-T-E-Internal-Dropper-10ml-various-quantity-/301090768052?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies&var=600206144668&hash=item461a6884b4

It's so much cheaper to buy the glycerin from boots or any pharmacy actually and the dropper bottles are only cheap on ebay!

And that is the ascorbic acid powder I use as it's the best and I know it's L-ascorbic!

(here is a cheaper one which will work though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-Ascorbic-Acid-Top-grade-/140447536877?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item20b35356ed )

The total price should be £22.87 if you use those links.

You can get the alpha hydrox cream on ebay cheaper too though if you want :)

You liked
(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/02/2014 6:44 pm

All sorted to purchase tomorrow! I can use my boots points for the glycerin too - I have so many. Would you recommend any moisturiser I could get from Boots too? I'm in need of a new one and I may as well use the full 1300 points I have, if I'm paying delivery for something so cheap.

Using an AWFUL Simple moisturiser at the moment and my dry areas are flaky as hell. The one in my signature worked fantastically, but it's slightly heavy.

Thanks again.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/02/2014 7:24 pm

All sorted to purchase tomorrow! I can use my boots points for the glycerin too - I have so many. Would you recommend any moisturiser I could get from Boots too? I'm in need of a new one and I may as well use the full 1300 points I have, if I'm paying delivery for something so cheap.

Using an AWFUL Simple moisturiser at the moment and my dry areas are flaky as hell. The one in my signature worked fantastically, but it's slightly heavy.

Thanks again.

Awesome :)

Well the best moisturisers I've ever got from boots are L'oreal Triple Active Day (dry/sensitive skin) and Vichy Aqualia (dry skin).

The vichy one is very heavy but feels matte. The l'oreal one is not heavy at all.

I generally stick to moisturisers aimed at dry skin even though i'm combo because nearly all oily/combination moisturisers are comedogenic and actually ones aimed at dry skins are usually non comedogenic! It's so dumb....

I personally loved the l'oreal one and the ingredients were good and worked really well but I stopped using L'oreal as I'm trying to be better with animal testing and stuff :(

If you were to buy it though don't be tempted to go for the normal/combination skin one or you will be in for a distaster!

The dry skin one is amazing with great ingredients but everything else they make is rubbish.

I have scoured the ingredients of pretty much every moisturiser in boots and those are the two that I love based on effectiveness and ingredients.

The boots botanics mattifying day cream has good ingredients but has a lot of natural extracts which can irritate sensitive skin (not to confuse it with the gel cream, that one is hideous)...

I'm sorry I don't have more suggestions but when it comes to moisturisers I can shoot most of them down in about 3 seconds but its rare that i find one with good ingredients and good results (except high-end but i don't have the money for that). Most high end moisturisers are much better.

You liked
(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/03/2014 4:12 am

Thanks again.

Awesome :)

Well the best moisturisers I've ever got from boots are L'oreal Triple Active Day (dry/sensitive skin) and Vichy Aqualia (dry skin).

The vichy one is very heavy but feels matte. The l'oreal one is not heavy at all.

I generally stick to moisturisers aimed at dry skin even though i'm combo because nearly all oily/combination moisturisers are comedogenic and actually ones aimed at dry skins are usually non comedogenic! It's so dumb....

I personally loved the l'oreal one and the ingredients were good and worked really well but I stopped using L'oreal as I'm trying to be better with animal testing and stuff :(

If you were to buy it though don't be tempted to go for the normal/combination skin one or you will be in for a distaster!

The dry skin one is amazing with great ingredients but everything else they make is rubbish.

I have scoured the ingredients of pretty much every moisturiser in boots and those are the two that I love based on effectiveness and ingredients.

The boots botanics mattifying day cream has good ingredients but has a lot of natural extracts which can irritate sensitive skin (not to confuse it with the gel cream, that one is hideous)...

I'm sorry I don't have more suggestions but when it comes to moisturisers I can shoot most of them down in about 3 seconds but its rare that i find one with good ingredients and good results (except high-end but i don't have the money for that). Most high end moisturisers are much better.

Thank you!! :)

I'll stop asking questions now! Really looking forward to trying the serum - more so than the alpha hydrox. Hopefully they won't take long because my skin needs the help right now.

Edit: Actually, I'm lying, I am going to ask another question. Sorry! Where can I purchase distilled water? A lot of sites say from garages or isles in supermarkets that sell car accessories.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/03/2014 6:11 pm

Thanks again.

Awesome

I personally loved the l'oreal one and the ingredients were good and worked really well but I stopped using L'oreal as I'm trying to be better with animal testing and stuff

Thank you!!

I'll stop asking questions now! Really looking forward to trying the serum - more so than the alpha hydrox. Hopefully they won't take long because my skin needs the help right now.

Edit: Actually, I'm lying, I am going to ask another question. Sorry! Where can I purchase distilled water? A lot of sites say from garages or isles in supermarkets that sell car accessories.

Haha ask me as many questions as you like lewis! I love it.

I bought mine from my local pharmacy, however a lot of people just used bottled water.

You can buy it from pharmacies or beauty supply stores. You can also get it on ebay and stuff like that :)

I would make sure that its pure distilled water though and no chemicals or anything!

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/11/2014 6:34 pm

For lewis & anyone who's interested here is how I make my vitamin C serum :)

MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 03/13/2014 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for the video and post! I've been on the Regiment for about 3 weeks now, and my blackheads were continuing to get worse..

For anyone that has I'm assuming very mild blackheads, I'd suggest just going to the store and getting an acne daily cleansing pad. (salicylic acid 2.5%) This really helped me out. It's been my third day doing this, and 50% of my blackheads have disappeared!

Thank you so much again, and I hope that everyone gets those darn things gone!

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/15/2014 7:43 am

Thank you so much for the video and post! I've been on the Regiment for about 3 weeks now, and my blackheads were continuing to get worse..

For anyone that has I'm assuming very mild blackheads, I'd suggest just going to the store and getting an acne daily cleansing pad. (salicylic acid 2.5%) This really helped me out. It's been my third day doing this, and 50% of my blackheads have disappeared!

Thank you so much again, and I hope that everyone gets those darn things gone!

You're welcome! :D

I used 10% BP on my nose for 4 weeks (before the video) and my blackheads were not shifted at all which is why I started looking into other ways to treat them and after I got rid of them I felt the need to share :)