Notifications
Clear all

Can A Pimple Leave A Scar That Looks Like A Pimple ?

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 02/27/2014 2:26 pm

that's basically the question .. got this pimple on dec 31st to the side the nose on the cheek area and 2 months later it's still red and has a little bump on it that looks like a small pimple .. usually by now it's flattened out and healed and starting to fade away at the very least .. it doesn't hurt or anything .. is this possibly a scar of some sorts or will this go away ?

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 02/27/2014 3:11 pm

anyone ? anyone have something similar ?

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 02/27/2014 4:53 pm

Have you been applying anything to it at all?

I think you should get it checked by a derm, not to scare you or anything its probably nothing, but they know more.

Was it a cyst? Maybe its gone dormant for a while...they can linger for months.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 02/27/2014 5:02 pm

I had a bad one on my neck which was still a bump for a long time but now it's a flat red mark. I had the spot for about 2months so I think it was just a stubborn cystic spot.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/27/2014 5:28 pm

that's basically the question .. got this pimple on dec 31st to the side the nose on the cheek area and 2 months later it's still red and has a little bump on it that looks like a small pimple .. usually by now it's flattened out and healed and starting to fade away at the very least .. it doesn't hurt or anything .. is this possibly a scar of some sorts or will this go away ?

Yes, it can. Also, pimples tend to "refill" if you didn't treat them properly.

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 02/27/2014 5:51 pm

I think you should get it checked by a derm, not to scare you or anything its probably nothing, but they know more.

Good luck

well I don't think it was a cyst .. can cysts be painless ? I never felt any pain or tenderness with this particular pimple which made me even less concerned about it .. it had the usual pus forming through the middle .. I figured it wasn't going to be that bad or have any risk of leaving anything behind since it didn't even hurt ..

when it was first coming out, all I did was wash it(always gently) with this aveeno acne bar that I use sometimes .. pat dry and I applied bye bye blemish and just left it alone .. I got a little antsy and 'wiped' it off after 10 days but it was still too early apparently and it bled a little bit .. so I washed it again and applied some more bye bye blemish and this time left it alone for much longer, like 3 weeks or a month .. but it just hasn't healed and flattened like other pimples that I've gotten .. I'll tell you exactly what it looks like .. it looks a small pimple that's about to come to a head but just won't .. it's just a little bump there in limbo .. that's why I was wondering if what I'm looking at is an actual scar or just another pimple that formed maybe like Michelle mentioned ..

I'm just gonna leave it alone for a while and if it doesn't go away I'll just go to a dermatologist

I had a bad one on my neck which was still a bump for a long time but now it's a flat red mark. I had the spot for about 2months so I think it was just a stubborn cystic spot.

when did the bump flatten ? two months after you got the pimple ? and what did you treat it with if I may ask ?

oh no lol .. so I may be screwed .. but you said they sometimes refill .. I hope it's that ..

thanks for the replies

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:05 pm

I think I've had one of those. Mine became "active" again as if it were dormant. Eventually, it went away like normal (pus coming out and flattening).

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:11 pm

I think I've had one of those. Mine became "active" again as if it were dormant. Eventually, it went away like normal (pus coming out and flattening).

what did you apply to it and how often and/or did you leave it alone for an extended period of time ?

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:15 pm

what did you apply to it and how often and/or did you leave it alone for an extended period of time ?

I was using benzoyle peroxide and I would apply it twice a day (morning and night before bedtime).

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:20 pm

I was using benzoyle peroxide and I would apply it twice a day (morning and night before bedtime).

I forgot to ask .. were you treating it continuously while it was 'dormant' or it came to a head(pus) on its own and then you started applying the bp ?

edit: I noticed you use sulfacet-r .. I used to use this back years ago when I had a bout of acne and it worked really well .. so it's still prescribed in Canada at least ? .... would you happen to know if it's still prescribed in the U.S. ?

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:34 pm

I forgot to ask .. were you treating it continuously while it was 'dormant' or it came to a head(pus) on its own and then you started applying the bp ?

edit: I noticed you use sulfacet-r .. I used to use this back years ago when I had a bout of acne and it worked really well .. so it's still prescribed in Canada at least ? .... would you happen to know if it's still prescribed in the U.S. ?

Yes, I treated it continuously even when it was dormant.

Sulfacet-R is available in Canada, I don't know about the U.S though..

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:38 pm

Good luck

well I don't think it was a cyst .. can cysts be painless ? I never felt any pain or tenderness with this particular pimple which made me even less concerned about it .. it had the usual pus forming through the middle .. I figured it wasn't going to be that bad or have any risk of leaving anything behind since it didn't even hurt ..

when it was first coming out, all I did was wash it(always gently) with this aveeno acne bar that I use sometimes .. pat dry and I applied bye bye blemish and just left it alone .. I got a little antsy and 'wiped' it off after 10 days but it was still too early apparently and it bled a little bit .. so I washed it again and applied some more bye bye blemish and this time left it alone for much longer, like 3 weeks or a month .. but it just hasn't healed and flattened like other pimples that I've gotten .. I'll tell you exactly what it looks like .. it looks a small pimple that's about to come to a head but just won't .. it's just a little bump there in limbo .. that's why I was wondering if what I'm looking at is an actual scar or just another pimple that formed maybe like Michelle mentioned ..

I'm just gonna leave it alone for a while and if it doesn't go away I'll just go to a dermatologist

>I had a bad one on my neck which was still a bump for a long time but now it's a flat red mark. I had the spot for about 2months so I think it was just a stubborn cystic spot.

when did the bump flatten ? two months after you got the pimple ? and what did you treat it with if I may ask ?

oh no lol .. so I may be screwed .. but you said they sometimes refill .. I hope it's that ..

thanks for the replies

I treated mine with benzoyl peroxide on top of the differin i was already using.

The spot lasted for about 2 months and then slowly flattened out over a couple of weeks.

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:59 pm

I treated mine with benzoyl peroxide on top of the differin i was already using.

The spot lasted for about 2 months and then slowly flattened out over a couple of weeks.

got it, thanks

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 03/27/2014 12:35 pm

well .. it's been another month .. that makes it 3 months since this thing came out .. I completely left it alone again .. I thought something was coming out .. as if it was coming to a head since some folks said sometimes it's dormant but when I wiped it off it still had the little red bump .. you can't really feel the bump when you pass your finger over it .. it feels smooth, like there isn't a bump there .. but you can see a bump at an angle .. I'm starting to think that it really is a scar of some sort .. or maybe it's not acne and it's something else ? .. I took 3 pictures .. not sure if it's clear enough ..

I don't have the best skin or anything .. texture isn't all that smooth from having acne years back and I have other little imperfections but as a guy I don't really care about those but I can't stand having red marks that stick out like that though on my face ..

can anyone identify if that is in fact a scar or maybe it's something that's just taking longer to heal ? should I just go to the doctor or keep putting medicine on it and leave it alone ?

pic3_zps5f349f6b.jpg

pic1_zpsd88b8069.jpg

pic2_zps656634bd.jpg

MemberMember
(@djones10)

Posted : 06/14/2014 11:16 pm

bump .. almost 3 months later and still nothing .. 5 months since I first got this thing and there's still that damn mark there that looks more fresh than fading .. anyone else have any ideas ? .. I never went to the dermatologist .. kept putting it off .. but I'm just about to give up trying to treat it on my own and get an appt .. I just felt foolish going to the derm over one mark on my face .. someone told me the other day it looked like the after effects of a scratch/wound(after I had wiped it whle cleaning my face) .. the mark itself and the skin around it get irriated and red if I wipe it with a tissue or with just a finger .. even if I wipe gently .. this keeps making me think that it's infected ? or still active or I don't know what

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 06/19/2014 12:01 pm

I have the same thing you have! Have a pimple that's small, so it doesn't look like a cyst, on my cheek since late February and still here! Don't know what to do, BP isn't working for me at all