Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkDragoon

Best drugstore foundation for a guy

I want some opinions of what the best drugstore foundation is for a guy to use.. as far as it looking natural and not making you look made up and not too thick. I dont really need it to cover my zits.. because I can just spot check with concealer for that. But for all around face coverage.. for just like minor redness and whatnot.

I want some opinions of what the best drugstore foundation is for a guy to use.. as far as it looking natural and not making you look made up and not too thick. I dont really need it to cover my zits.. because I can just spot check with concealer for that. But for all around face coverage.. for just like minor redness and whatnot.

It's not a matter of embarassment, it's a matter of looking good. Plus I just wanna experiment with how different things look.. not necessarily gonna actually use the stuff.

you should look into Studio5ive makeup for men. It's specialy made for men's skin tones, and I ordered it (unfortunately you can only purchase it online) and got it about a month ago and it works great. There is foundation, concealers etc..i dont use the foundation really just concealer. Anyways I mentioned to one of my friends the other day i was wearing some make-up and she totally couldn't tell so it must be good! http://www.studio5ive.com/ that's the website if you want to check it out.

Yeah I've been majorly considering buying stuff from Studio5ive for a couple months now.. but there are a couple things that kinda throw me off about it. The foundation and stick concealers only come in 3 shades.. and the dry cream concealer only comes in 1 shade.. so how can you get that to match you skin enough to look natural.. especially when only using the concealer? Does the concealer match your skin better when used with the foundation(since theyre the same colors) even though the foundation is very sheer?

If color's the most important thing, why stick with a brand that only has three? Drugstores brands have more than three...so if you're gonna try anything why not that? There's differnt textures of foundation though: cream, liquid, or stick. IMO, liquid is the best for overall because it's easier to manuver and provides the most natural look. Maybe you can try a tinted moisturizer, it's has lesser color with optimal natural look. It provides a light to medium coverage.

I used Relvon's Stay Natural for medium coverage but there's a certain way ro apply it...first i lighlty pat on specific areas of redness, scarring...leaving to dry alittle then i smear it lightly to even out the overall color of my face. biggrin.gif

though it may not seem like it, the concealers from studio5ive work great. Yeah there are only 3 shades, but that works for a guy's skin..most caucasion males are a medium shade, which is what I bought. Anyways I haven't been found out yet, haha....like I said, I think, in my previous post, my friends didn't know til I pointed it out to them that I was wearing cover up.

Alright Im definatly gonna buy a big bunch of Studio5ive stuff.. whenever I get around to shellin out the 80ish bucks.

So what about that blending spray that comes with the foundation.. what is that? Whats it do?

Hey Dark,

I suggest you check out Paula Begoun's book, "Don't Go to The Cosmetics Counter Without Me." Her website is www.cosmeticscop.com & has an ingredient dictionary.

Paula does a great job of de-mystifying the cosmetics industry & products, and she reviews products in all price ranges. There are lots of great products out there that won't break your bank.

When it comes to foundation, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING unless you can try it on your skin & look at it in natural light, too. Nothings worse than wearing foundation that is TOO ORANGE or TOO PINK for you!!! That's the problem with most drugstore brands...there aren't testers. Sephora is great for this, & if you have one nearby, go & play! Ulta is a competitor of Sephora, and while it doesn't carry the same amount of stuff, the Ulta brand makeup is great & you can test everything. The foundation I use sounds like what you are looking for--light coverage to minimise redness. I prefer a matte finish--they have several--and prefer a foundation which has SPF 15 in it to save a step. It doesn't aggravate break-outs, either.

You could also go to the Prescriptives counter at your local department store. They do "colorprinting" for free. As far as I know, Prescriptives is the only cosmetics line that uses color theory in the formulation of their products. It's not a subjective color system, like the "seasons" method (where you're a "winter" "spring" etc). They'll do a quick swab of 4 colors on your cheek, and the one that "sinks in" to your skin tone indicates your color family: red, blue-red, orange, yellow-orange. Many people are surprised with the results! Their foundations are excellent, but on the pricey side.

BTW, there's no difference between men's skin tones & women's--we're all part of the same spectrum!!

Ah if only I did have a Sephora nearby.. I could have so much fun tongue.gif

That Prescriptives sounds quite interesting though.. although you kinda lost me...

I've been looking at the Studio Five website and it looks good.... what are your results using it and is there a real diff between regular "women's" makeup and theirs?

Jay