Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jsbee2

Ok, so my derm told me.....

getting sun helps redmarks.

Contrary to what some people have said, it makes them worse.

So I did, and it seemed to help.

Isn't hyperpigmentation blood vessels under the skin used to treat infections (acne)? How do blood vessels get darker?

confused.gif sorry but i thought that sun is the worst for marks,,you will see an improvement for a short period but in the long run it is worst..a friend told that what he does is he gets each redspot covered with spf and leaves the rest alone, and he sees good results this way,,i think mostly because the surrounding skin gets darker, closer to the color of the marcs, and therefore the marks are not no OUT THERE.. eusa_think.gif maybe,,i dunno

eusa_eh.gif

^ x2

I dunno, but I'm going to stick to my sunblock. I would prefer not to chance it and make what problems I have now become even worse down the road.

People seem to differ strongly on this subject, but I have to say that even if it did help your red marks (and I can't say that it does or even how it would go about fading them), you are still aging the rest of your skin in the process. What the sun might do, if your skin gets tan or burned, is help your red marks blend in with the surrounding skin, but the sun can also make you hyperpigment and get brown spots on other areas of your skin that you'll then be dealing with.

I would suggest that instead of exposing yourself to the sun, you can lessen the appearance of red marks on your face by using a sunless tanning lotion. One like SUN Laboratories Ultra Dark that doesn't cause breakouts would be good. Then, your "tan" isn't permanent, but it helps make the redmarks less apparent. A lot less time-consuming and risky than baking in a tanning booth or in the sun.

Also, your dermatologist may have said this, but he/she may not be basing it on scientific fact, but merely just an opinion or personal experience. And, even though they're doctors, they can be wrong or just misguided.

~Kat

getting sun helps redmarks.

Contrary to what some people have said, it makes them worse.

So I did, and it seemed to help.

Isn't hyperpigmentation blood vessels under the skin used to treat infections (acne)? How do blood vessels get darker?

Though it may help the appearance of redmarks in the short term, sun exposure will eventually cause hyperpigmentation.

Hyperpigmentation is simply too much pigment (brown marks, etc.).

Here's an article on sun exposure:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....REFER=SUN&ID=31