Notifications
Clear all

Hormones & Food Intolerances

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/26/2014 11:39 pm

I was going to post this to the hormonal forum, but it might help more people here. There are old threads about this topic. I read a while ago that symptoms of estrogen dominance can include allergies and increased histamines. Since for me, my food intolerances are created by improper digestion and high histamines rather than specific foods, I was trying to find what caused all my issues. After some discussions on the hormonal forum a while back, I decided to try DIM along with my usual supplements. I have been taking it for over a month now, and I upped the dose 2 weeks ago with dramatic results. DIM helps with proper estrogen metabolism and with detoxing from xenoestrogens. Since high estrogen can also trigger high androgens (and vice versa), DIM is a good multitasker for healthy testosterone and estrogen metabolism. I noticed that I can tolerate more foods now, and since DIM is an antioxidant too, it helped my skin heal faster after an accidental microderm.

If you suspect that estrogen might be part of your problem (both male & female), then I suggest you give DIM a go. I personally take a supplement that only contains DIM, nothing else, because I wanted to see if DIM works on its own. Some people take it with liv-tox or other liver supplements, but for me this doesn't seem necessary now that I have completely cleaned up my diet.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there as a possible cause (or one cause) of sudden allergies. I didn't have many food intolerances until this past year, and even though I was hesitant to try DIM because it can make acne worse for some, I am so glad I gave it a go. I want to thank the user hearts, greengables, and other people who provided insights about this topic on the hormonal forum. It helped me make up my mind about DIM and give it a try.

I have to say, my 2 favorite supplements are inositol (B8) and now DIM. I hope this combo keeps helping, and hopefully it can help some of you too. In my case, it seems that my allergies can be reversible, but obviously if you have severe, long-term allergies the cause is probably not hormones.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/27/2014 11:58 am

Yep, DIM was huge here for a while. Very interesting discussions.

There's also been a study that found a correlationship between elevated histamine & elevated androgens.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 03/05/2014 11:30 pm

Yep, DIM was huge here for a while. Very interesting discussions.

There's also been a study that found a correlationship between elevated histamine & elevated androgens.

DIM is supposed to also be anti-androgenic, correct? There is some conflicting information about that.