Notifications
Clear all

Accutane, Higher Accumulative Dose = Higher Chance Of Remission?

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 02/26/2014 9:15 pm

I have read studies that a higher accumulative dosage of 200-250 mg/kg have a lower chance of acne returning as compared to 120-150 mg/kg.

Those who have been on more than one course may I know what was your accumulative dosage and age during your first course.

Similarly for those who managed to stay acne free after one course , what was your accumulative dosage and how long have you stayed acne free.

Thank you.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 02/27/2014 12:31 am

I have read these studies too. There are also many studies that dispute these results on the grounds that people who do higher cumulative doses are (usually) on the drug longer, and that similar results could be possible through longer courses without the super high dosing. Some studies show that the length of time the sebaceous gland is suppressed may be a greater factor than cumulative dose - meaning don't be in such a hurry to get through your course.

Personally I am going to go with both approaches - sticking with 40 mg a day (why do 80 for one day when you can do 40 for two?), as it seems like a happy medium between low dosing and high dosing, and adding a little extra time to my course (it is my second - first one cleared me up for nine years with the assistance of the BCP).

So - yes, I think you are right about cumulative dose, it is generally accepted that higher is better. However, if you read most studies done on really high cumulative doses you will find that these people were usually on longer courses than the people they are being compared to, and the authors admit that it is not clear how much of a factor this plays in the results.

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 02/27/2014 5:59 am

I have read these studies too. There are also many studies that dispute these results on the grounds that people who do higher cumulative doses are (usually) on the drug longer, and that similar results could be possible through longer courses without the super high dosing. Some studies show that the length of time the sebaceous gland is suppressed may be a greater factor than cumulative dose - meaning don't be in such a hurry to get through your course.

Personally I am going to go with both approaches - sticking with 40 mg a day (why do 80 for one day when you can do 40 for two?), as it seems like a happy medium between low dosing and high dosing, and adding a little extra time to my course (it is my second - first one cleared me up for nine years with the assistance of the BCP).

So - yes, I think you are right about cumulative dose, it is generally accepted that higher is better. However, if you read most studies done on really high cumulative doses you will find that these people were usually on longer courses than the people they are being compared to, and the authors admit that it is not clear how much of a factor this plays in the results.

Your input is very informative. It would take me around a year to complete my course as I am on a lower daily dose, hopefully I will have a higher chance of remission.