Notifications
Clear all

Is This A Good Combination?

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:47 am

I started using Epiduo (2.5% BP) a week ago, and I just bought today oxy facial cleanser (with 2% Salicylic acid) and Clean & Clear Dual Action moisturizer (oil-free and has 0.5% Salicylic acid), I was wondering is that a good combination for my skin? I have mild to moderate acne and oily skin. I also bought Cetaphil oily skin cleanser (which doesn't have Salicylic acid or BP) to use after I finish the oxy cleanser. I feel unsafe putting all that stuff on my face, and I think it might be overkill with the amount of Salicylic acid and BP. Thanks!

This is the cetaphil cleanser: http://www.acne.org/cetaphil-oily-skin-cleanser-reviews-1452/

This is the moisturizer: http://www.acne.org/clean-clear-dual-action-moisturizer-oil-free-reviews-46/

And I attached a picture of the oxy cleanser (I like being obsessive )

MemberMember
(@clearskinavenger)

Posted : 02/25/2014 11:54 pm

Hey man! Im also using the oxy deep pore cleanser and i'd highly recommend you don't use all those products or work your way up from just the oxy cleanser and a good moisturizer to more products. The pore cleanser drys out my skin already and assuming it might dry out yours as well and using all those products may irritate your skin and cause you to get a unwanted breakout. ah i hate acne.. anyways keep me up to date and hopefully your skin clears up :D

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 02/26/2014 12:49 am

Sweet, thanks for the reply. I've been using Epiduo for a week before the oxy cleanser and the 0.5% Salicylic acid moisturizer, so is one week enough of a build-up? I'm also using the cleanser and the moisturizer twice a day (once in the mourning after the shower and once before I sleep) and Epiduo once a day (like the regimen says), maybe I should use the cleanser only once but still use the moisturizer twice a day, I have oily skin though so maybe my skin can take the dryness, although my face burns a little after using all that stuff, so should I use the cleanser only once a day?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/26/2014 7:31 pm

Hmm, a product from Canada, eh? ;)

I would personally use a bland, basic cleanser without any acne-fighting medication and go to a 2% salicylic acid lotion.

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 02/26/2014 8:52 pm

Hmm, a product from Canada, eh?

I would personally use a bland, basic cleanser without any acne-fighting medication and go to a 2% salicylic acid lotion.

So would Cetaphil oily skin cleanser count as a basic cleanser that won't irritate the skin? because I woke up today and found most of my face red from all these medications I'm using (not to mention how badly my face burned the night before), so I decided to use the Oxy cleanser only once a day and skip every other day of Epiduo until my face gets used to Epiduo at least, although my face is feeling better now and there's less redness, but if I repeat this process, it'll probably burn and turn red again (although I noticed my acne is slightly improving :D). So for anyone else reading this, learn from my not-so-fun experience and don't use products similar to these on the same day every day (especially the cleanser twice because it's really drying and I have oily skin, so I can't imagine how much worse it would be if you have dry skin), I can't even tell if the moisturizer helped at all, it might've even contributed to the redness and burning (but I heard a lot of good things about it).

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/26/2014 9:24 pm

Cetaphil is a nice cleanser.

You should probably use a bland moisturizer like Aquaphor to take down the dryness and redness. Then introduce a salicylic acid moisturizer for the morning if you can tolerate it.

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 02/27/2014 1:48 pm

After a little experimenting with my face, I found that using the moisturizer burns A LOT for 30 min. to an hour after applying it (I'd be watching something funny on youtube after applying it and I can't even smile at it because my face would hurt a lot due to the burning), but it doesn't cause any redness at all (which is strange). But what does cause the redness is the Epiduo (or the Benzoyl Peroxide in it), but it doesn't burn at all, it only itches a little after applying it. But then I tried using another moisturizer this morning (Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, can be found here: http://www.acne.org/aveeno-daily-moisturizing-lotion-reviews-1726/ ) and it doesn't burn at all or cause any redness (so far at least). This confuses me because I heard that BP strips a layer of your skin which makes your skin a lot more sensitive to sunlight, or anything you apply to your face (including moisturizer), so my skin being more sensitive from the BP could be the reason why the Clean & Clear moisturizer burns/hurts a lot, so maybe it's not the moisturizer itself; I heard that the redness and irritation/burning should go away in a few weeks after my skin has adjusted to all these chemicals. But the Aveeno moisturizer doesn't burn one bit, so I still don't know if it's my skin being more sensitive (and it will go away with time) or it's the Clean & Clear moisturizer that's actually causing the burning, even though the only reason I bought is because I heard a lot of good reviews about it. Another thing I tried was apply the moisturizer that usually burns on an area on face where I never applied BP, and found out that it doesn't hurt at all, in fact, I get a small cooling sensation (which is the product supposed to have), so that confuses me even more lol. This really sucks, I'd rather have acne + dry skin than have this really painful burning sensation and having red face all day (it's as if you got a bad sunburn), I don't even know which is causing the redness & burning. Sorry for the book I just wrote, I just wish someone can point me in the right direction.

MemberMember
(@clearskinavenger)

Posted : 02/27/2014 4:21 pm

Wow dude after reading all that I wish I could guide a little better or you can some what learn from my experience I also use cetaphils motiruzer but only in the morning and it use to burn like crazy only when I used bp so I think there may be a correlation between the two I personally think you just just use the cleanser once in the morning and once in the night and moisturizeyour skin wheneveryou need it twice..three or even four times a day and use the epiudo once every week as I think you perisously stated and hopefully you don't find it as hurtful as your previous regimen

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 02/27/2014 5:17 pm

Yea, I'm probably gonna skip every other day of Epiduo and stop using the Oxy 2% salicylic acid wash (at least for now) and use the Cetaphil cleanser instead twice a day since it doesn't have BP or salicylic acid in it so it will irritate my face less. And I'm gonna use the Aveeno moisturizer since it doesn't burn (for some reason), then maybe switch to the Clean & Clear one when my face hopefully becomes less sensitive in a few weeks. I'm starting to regret ever taking action to stop my acne lol, but I guess I'm gonna have to endure all these fun experiences to finally get a normal face. Thank you both for helping.

MemberMember
(@clearskinavenger)

Posted : 02/28/2014 5:46 pm

No problem man hopefullythings are looking good for you 😀

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:42 am

Flopus, unfortunately there is not a cookbook answer to your questions about all those pruducts and usages. It all boils down to your skin type and how sensitive it is. For instance, I have ultra-sensitive skin and can't use BP or SA without turning red. You should proceed with a systematic approach. Only introduce one product at a time in low frequency of use and then build up from there. I know how much of a pain this stuff can be. Hope you get it sorted out.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:44 am

Flopus, unfortunately there is not a cookbook answer to your questions about all those pruducts and usages. It all boils down to your skin type and how sensitive it is. For instance, I have ultra-sensitive skin and can't use BP or SA without turning red. You should proceed with a systematic approach. Only introduce one product at a time in low frequency of use and then build up from there. I know how much of a pain this stuff can be. Hope you get it sorted out.

True. You really have to patch test first, which means you'll have to wait a day or two. Most people don't have the patience for that.

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 03/02/2014 1:51 pm

Oh I experimented a lot, that's how I managed to end the redness and the burning (which used to hurt a lot). I've ended up using BP once a day on most days, I'd stop using it for one day if it was too drying or irritating, so I've been almost 2 weeks on Epiduo and I had to skip 2 days so that my skin could recover from the BP. I also stopped using the Salicylic acid in the moisturizer and the face wash, so I resorted to another moisturizer (Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, which works great btw) and the Cetaphil cleanser instead of the oxy face wash, both of which don't irritate my skin or cause any redness or any burning (but the cleanser causes some dryness even on my oily skin, but the moisturizer takes care of that). Then in a few weeks time (when my skin becomes less sensitive to these products), I'll start using the Clean & Clear moisturizer and the Oxy face wash (both of which contain Salicylic acid, which might have contributed to my irritating) and see how it goes. So far only a few parts of my face have improved while whiteheads still show up on other parts of my face, but at least I didn't have a bad breakout like other people have mentioned. I'm only writing this so that other people going through the same thing can learn from my experience because I think I started out too fast (with all the Salicylic acid and the BP I used).

MemberMember
(@ambertaylor)

Posted : 03/06/2014 1:48 pm

How has this been working for you? Just because it works for others does not mean it will work for you and vice versa. Every skin is different. I would suggest you try it out and see if it is something that gives you results.

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 03/06/2014 8:50 pm

How has this been working for you? Just because it works for others does not mean it will work for you and vice versa. Every skin is different. I would suggest you try it out and see if it is something that gives you results.

Well, the redness and irritation completely went away, and my old acne is ever so slowly clearing up after a few whiteheads showed up (2.5 weeks in) and got only 1 big pimple after starting this regimen (but didn't get an initial breakout), I just hope my acne clears a bit faster.