Notifications
Clear all

It's Time To Get Rid Of My Acne.

MemberMember
(@excellentgame)

Posted : 02/23/2014 11:04 pm

I'm an 18 year old guy. I'm usually really confident, but on bad acne days I feel like curling up in a ball and not talking to anyone. My doctor prescribed Epiduo and a Benzac 10% BP wash in December, but I still break out and have close to the same amount of pimples. I had a meltdown regarding my face and stress yesterday, I broke out and picked and picked while doing training at my new job (the training was at a computer). I've felt like crap since then, and honestly I cried a bit yesterday about it. It's so frustrating, I've been trying so hard.

I have a decent social life, but I've been trying to date recently and I feel that girls would find me cuter with a better face. I feel more girls would give me a chance, because I honestly feel I have a lot else going for me. However, I've never been told anything mean by anyone regarding my face (or heard anyone saying anything bad about my face), and I've seen a lot of people worse off on campus. I've also been told that I'm really cute/charming etc. by multiple girls, but a lot of the time I don't believe the ones who say it. I feel like my acne is the main thing hampering my self confidence. I'd post pictures but I'm always paranoid about people I know seeing me online. Might do it anyway.

My other buddies envy me for other things, but I don't think any friends of mine know how insecure I am about my face. It'd be such a great help to get rid of my acne, and my mom feels bad and thinks we should try accutane. My dad is against it though, he took it before. But I just want clear skin. :/

MemberMember
(@john-smith3)

Posted : 02/23/2014 11:07 pm

You should post the pictures, let's see how bad it is. I think you may be over exaggerating, even tho I personally understand how frustrating acne can be.

MemberMember
(@amarshgv)

Posted : 02/23/2014 11:25 pm

Hey man I figured i would reply because we sound very much alike.. I am 18 years old, have had moderate acne for 2 years or so, and i completely understand the insecurities you are going through. People have no idea what its like not to have self-confidence for YEARS just because of acne. I was prescribed Epiduo also in December (on the 19th). I use it at once at night like prescribed.. It has been 9 and a half weeks now and I have seen an amazing improvement. I am probably 95% clear now with just some marks left over but no serious scars. My face got a bit better and then flat-lined from about week 4 to 7, and then all of a sudden it changed. My skin got clear and really smooth. I dont apply and moisturizer or anything after applying Epiduo at night (some people do), but apply my Cetaphil moisturizer after i get out of the shower in the morning.

My best tip is to not over apply the gel! I did this a couple times when i was extra pissed off and just wanted it work. Epiduo is actually a pretty intense topical, which is something i never really realized. When you do this it just damages the skin. I only get acne on my cheeks so i apply a pea sized amount to each cheek, but none to my forehead or anywhere else.

As a personal goal i would just practice leaving your breakouts alone until they are at a definite head, and you can get the whole root out. Picked leaves marks and is something I regret now. That being said, dont blame yourself for picking i know how hard it is.

Please reply with any questions you have! We are the same age and started on Epiduo around the same time so i would love to go through the journey with you.

I am unfamiliar with benzac, but am familiar with Epiduo! Also, it would help to know what kind of acne you have such as location and severity!

Talk to you soon,

Alex

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/23/2014 11:28 pm

I'm an 18 year old guy. I'm usually really confident, but on bad acne days I feel like curling up in a ball and not talking to anyone. My doctor prescribed Epiduo and a Benzac 10% BP wash in December, but I still break out and have close to the same amount of pimples. I had a meltdown regarding my face and stress yesterday, I broke out and picked and picked while doing training at my new job (the training was at a computer). I've felt like crap since then, and honestly I cried a bit yesterday about it. It's so frustrating, I've been trying so hard.

I have a decent social life, but I've been trying to date recently and I feel that girls would find me cuter with a better face. I feel more girls would give me a chance, because I honestly feel I have a lot else going for me. However, I've never been told anything mean by anyone regarding my face (or heard anyone saying anything bad about my face), and I've seen a lot of people worse off on campus. I've also been told that I'm really cute/charming etc. by multiple girls, but a lot of the time I don't believe the ones who say it. I feel like my acne is the main thing hampering my self confidence. I'd post pictures but I'm always paranoid about people I know seeing me online. Might do it anyway.

My other buddies envy me for other things, but I don't think any friends of mine know how insecure I am about my face. It'd be such a great help to get rid of my acne, and my mom feels bad and thinks we should try accutane. My dad is against it though, he took it before. But I just want clear skin. :/

I'm curious why your mom thinks you should try Accutane. Have you failed other topical treatments before?

MemberMember
(@john-smith3)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:08 am

^ Accutane is pretty famous, whether for the success rate or for others. So this is one of the main ones she'd probably know, probably from a tv comercial, or quite possibly from a friend she knows that tells her things. (thats my guess)

MemberMember
(@leofernandez)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:16 am

Goodluck I can relate to the friends not even knowing how insecure i am at times, also keep ya head up if you stick to your regime things should improve, keep it natural and treat your body how you want it to treat you!

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 02/24/2014 5:27 am

Goodluck I can relate to the friends not even knowing how insecure i am at times, also keep ya head up if you stick to your regime things should improve, keep it natural and treat your body how you want it to treat you!

You are your body.