Notifications
Clear all

What Caused This Breakout?

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/23/2014 8:32 pm

Well hello I'm 18, I've reading alot about acne, diet, stress, etc.

I don't eat dairy, wheat, grains, pig, cereals, candies, eggs(I think they break me out), etc. at all.

So in these 2 weeks I was literally acne-free only red marks and little zits but not big pimples at all, so yeah.

Two weeks ago I ate pizza and I didn't break out and I was happy like "Oh yeah!" but now after 2 weeks I breakout but Im not sure if it was the pizza because 2 days ago ago I ate a bag of cookies(like 8 maybe) and some gummy worms(like 10-20) so I'm not sure if it was the cookies with the gummies or it was the pizza.

Also last week I was eating some bread(small portion) and I didn't break out neither in the whole week, so I dont know if bread breaks me out or not, I'm just not eating it because I read that wheat+gluten = acne, but cookies are wheat + sugar, so I don't know because when I ate the cookies + gummies I had a break out next day, the bread didn't make that happen, also I didnt eat anything bad for acne only bread and the pizza. Thanks for reading, I'll be waiting for answers ^_^.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/23/2014 10:06 pm

Well hello I'm 18, I've reading alot about acne, diet, stress, etc.

I don't eat dairy, wheat, grains, pig, cereals, candies, eggs(I think they break me out), etc. at all.

So in these 2 weeks I was literally acne-free only red marks and little zits but not big pimples at all, so yeah.

Two weeks ago I ate pizza and I didn't break out and I was happy like "Oh yeah!" but now after 2 weeks I breakout but Im not sure if it was the pizza because 2 days ago ago I ate a bag of cookies(like 8 maybe) and some gummy worms(like 10-20) so I'm not sure if it was the cookies with the gummies or it was the pizza.

Also last week I was eating some bread(small portion) and I didn't break out neither in the whole week, so I dont know if bread breaks me out or not, I'm just not eating it because I read that wheat+gluten = acne, but cookies are wheat + sugar, so I don't know because when I ate the cookies + gummies I had a break out next day, the bread didn't make that happen, also I didnt eat anything bad for acne only bread and the pizza. Thanks for reading, I'll be waiting for answers .

Despite what some may tell you, it's difficult to know whether a certain food causes acne. You could keep a food journal, of course, but that could easily make you paranoid of foods and make you think that it's causing your acne when it isn't.

It's nothing but speculation whether gluten, wheat or "sugar" causes acne.

Very likely, you're going through the natural acne cycle.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/24/2014 8:56 am

Except in the case of food intolerances, its diet habits, not one meal that leads to acne. It sounds like you've been filling your diet with high glycemic refined carbs for the last few weeks. It's the pizza and the bread and the sugar.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/24/2014 12:06 pm

You seem to be suffering from gummy worm intolerance... no, just kidding.

TOO. MUCH. SUGAR.

You say know sugar and excess carbs cause acne, and yet you're eating pizza and gummy worms.

That's not food. That's basically poison.

It's bad for people who don't break out, too; They just won't know it until they're sick later on down the road.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:10 pm

From what I understand it takes 2 weeks for blemishes to surface, so what you ate yesterday will not cause a pimple tomorrow, you need to relate it to what you ate a couple of weeks ago. So keep that time frame in mind.

I agree with other posters that is is probably a combination of high glycemic foods you have been eating and maybe not one food in particular.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/24/2014 3:16 pm

Alright, thank you very much.

I hope i'll get my face "clear" again.

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:20 pm

I've been gluten free for 10 years, and for most of those years i've had to deal with acne, so it's not only about eliminating wheat. Just don't eat rubbish food and more importantly introduce new things to your diet that will help.

Since I have changed my diet, I haven't had much deep painful acne like i used to, I do have blemishes and small pimples like you have said, and sometimes those blemishes do surface.

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:29 pm

I've been gluten free for 10 years, and for most of those years i've had to deal with acne, so it's not only about eliminating wheat. Just don't eat rubbish food and more importantly introduce new things to your diet that will help.

Since I have changed my diet, I haven't had much deep painful acne like i used to, I do have blemishes and small pimples like you have said, and sometimes those blemishes do surface.

Yeah, but If I eat wheat all days I might get more acne really?

What do you think about rye bread? Because outside my school there's a bakery and they sell that, some time ago I ate one per day but I don't really know if that break me out or not.

I ate that bread because I'm hungry when I leave the school and there's nothing at all that I can eat in the school (everything has wheat, sandwich, burritos, tortillas, bread, pizza, burguers, etc) ;_;

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:46 pm

Everyone is different. The things that I might be intolerant to, you may not be. Personally, I haven't eaten bread in a very long time. Even when I was clear I didn't eat it, so i'm not the best person to answer that question. Is there anything you can make up from home and bring it with you? That would be your best option. Try avoid buying out, because your options are quite limited it seems.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:51 pm

What do you think about rye bread? Because outside my school there's a bakery and they sell that, some time ago I ate one per day but I don't really know if that break me out or not.

I ate that bread because I'm hungry when I leave the school and there's nothing at all that I can eat in the school (everything has wheat, sandwich, burritos, tortillas, bread, pizza, burguers, etc) ;_;

Having bread with a meal isn't terrible, and wouldn't cause that high of a blood sugar or insulin spike. Now, if you ate nothing but very high carbs and lived a sedentary lifestyle, especially if you gained a lot of weight, then it could theoretically contribute to acne.

In short, don't lead a lifestyle that'll likely give you type 2 diabetes and obesity.

By the way, are you overweight or prone to diabetes?

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/24/2014 7:22 pm

Having bread with a meal isn't terrible, and wouldn't cause that high of a blood sugar or insulin spike. Now, if you ate nothing but very high carbs and lived a sedentary lifestyle, especially if you gained a lot of weight, then it could theoretically contribute to acne.

In short, don't lead a lifestyle that'll likely give you type 2 diabetes and obesity.

By the way, are you overweight or prone to diabetes?

What about a torta? (Like a piece of bread with meat inbetween and lettuce, tomato?)

Because they sell that at my school and that's the bread I ate the last 2 weeks, i bought like 3 maybe in these 2 weeks.

And Well most of my diet consist of veggies, fruits, only water and carrot/apple juices as drink, chicken, meat(not pig), fish, beans.

Everyday I walk like 30mins - 1 hour, and I don't gain weight like.. never, I'm slim.

But this makes me "sajfkdsfl" sometimes because everything has wheat (well a lot of food) so I try to avoid it, only the 2 last weeks I've have been eating some bread, the cookies and the pizza 2 weeks ago. (wheat, pizza=wheat+dairy, cookies=wheat+sugar+corn syrup).

Psh

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/24/2014 7:37 pm

Wheat is difficult to avoid completely--you still have to use some in even in the Mediterranean diet. But as long as you're getting regular physical exercise and having a generally healthy diet, I wouldn't worry about foods and acne.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/24/2014 8:45 pm

For some people food is not an issue and for others it is. Everyone is different. If your acne seems to be aggravated by certain foods then it probably is. I know some folks say that's not the case but many research studies now indicate there is a connection. That said, you are still very young so your hormones are raging which makes the diet part less effective sometimes.

However eating a healthy diet will help balance hormones and in turn help your acne. The development of acne is affected by what you ate weeks ago but sometimes existing acne can flare-up if you eat foods that aggravate your particular acne. It really helps to keep a journal of what seems to cause a flare-up.

You already know the common culprits...wheat, sugars, dairy. I would also add oily foods such as fries and margarines, butters, etc. Try avoiding added oils. Avoid sugary foods and try to only eat wheat foods once or twice a week. Other days eat big salads. Do they have salads at your school? Eat the vegetables and meat but avoid the deserts and rolls. Take some carrot and celery sticks with you to school to munch on. Take cut up fruits such as apples. You can put these things in your purse or locker. Munch these snacks between classes so you don't feel deprived not having the oily pizza at lunch. Avoid fruit juices...they are pure sugar --- yes they are fruit but they are so concentrated that it's the same as drinking liquid sugar...very bad for acne.

Eat a big healthy breakfast like oatmeal with fruit and toast. Eat a good dinner. Eat really healthy foods at home...whole foods such as baked yams, fresh chicken, big salads (avoid oily dressings and stick with spritz of lemon).

Carry a water bottle and drink plenty of water during the day...this will help with avoiding juice drinks.

The idea is to keep your sugar intake low so that hormones balance out...it takes awhile. Also carefully avoiding dairy such as cheeses helps balance hormones too. Be sure to take a calcium suppliment with D. Eat plenty of fresh greens...they have calcium too.

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/24/2014 8:59 pm

For some people food is not an issue and for others it is. Everyone is different. If your acne seems to be aggravated by certain foods then it probably is. I know some folks say that's not the case but many research studies now indicate there is a connection. That said, you are still very young so your hormones are raging which makes the diet part less effective sometimes.

However eating a healthy diet will help balance hormones and in turn help your acne. The development of acne is affected by what you ate weeks ago but sometimes existing acne can flare-up if you eat foods that aggravate your particular acne. It really helps to keep a journal of what seems to cause a flare-up.

You already know the common culprits...wheat, sugars, dairy. I would also add oily foods such as fries and margarines, butters, etc. Try avoiding added oils. Avoid sugary foods and try to only eat wheat foods once or twice a week. Other days eat big salads. Do they have salads at your school? Eat the vegetables and meat but avoid the deserts and rolls. Take some carrot and celery sticks with you to school to munch on. Take cut up fruits such as apples. You can put these things in your purse or locker. Munch these snacks between classes so you don't feel deprived not having the oily pizza at lunch. Avoid fruit juices...they are pure sugar --- yes they are fruit but they are so concentrated that it's the same as drinking liquid sugar...very bad for acne.

Eat a big healthy breakfast like oatmeal with fruit and toast. Eat a good dinner. Eat really healthy foods at home...whole foods such as baked yams, fresh chicken, big salads (avoid oily dressings and stick with spritz of lemon).

Carry a water bottle and drink plenty of water during the day...this will help with avoiding juice drinks.

The idea is to keep your sugar intake low so that hormones balance out...it takes awhile. Also carefully avoiding dairy such as cheeses helps balance hormones too. Be sure to take a calcium suppliment with D. Eat plenty of fresh greens...they have calcium too.

Thank you very much, so carrot juice is a no-no?

Also I read somewhere here in the forum that oatmeal can aggravate acne because they have gluten/etc.

And like 2 months ago I ate 2 bowls of oatmeal and next day I break out, I don't know if it was the oats though.

So calcium + vitamin D?

I read that zinc help acne too, what supplement should I buy?(what's better)

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:27 am

Interesting fact-Did you know that pizza has sugar? It's in the bread.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/25/2014 8:34 am

Torta? Are you in Mexico or Central America? Can you choose corn tortillas instead? Or just not having your food surrounded by bread every single day?

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/25/2014 5:16 pm

Torta? Are you in Mexico or Central America? Can you choose corn tortillas instead? Or just not having your food surrounded by bread every single day?

Yes.

And corn tortillas arent bad then?

Because these are grains so im not sure.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/25/2014 5:39 pm

Also I read somewhere here in the forum that oatmeal can aggravate acne because they have gluten/etc.

And like 2 months ago I ate 2 bowls of oatmeal and next day I break out, I don't know if it was the oats though.

So calcium + vitamin D?

Carrot juice is not a no-no. I drink tons of it. It has made my skin look amazing. It's full of vitamin A. Be sure it's homemade, though. The store-bought stuff is pasteurized and basically just sugar. Two bowls of oatmeal would make me break out, too. That's a lot of carbohydrate! And usually oatmeal is sweetened.

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/25/2014 7:48 pm

So calcium + vitamin D?

Carrot juice is not a no-no. I drink tons of it. It has made my skin look amazing. It's full of vitamin A. Be sure it's homemade, though. The store-bought stuff is pasteurized and basically just sugar. Two bowls of oatmeal would make me break out, too. That's a lot of carbohydrate! And usually oatmeal is sweetened.

Yeah the juices I drink are homemade.

So how much oatmeal should I eat? But I don't get satisfied with a cup/similar portion at all, I'm slim but I eat alot ;(

I'm having a bad time about eating a breakfast, don't know what to eat, only fruit and water.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/26/2014 8:47 am

So calcium + vitamin D?

Yeah the juices I drink are homemade.

So how much oatmeal should I eat? But I don't get satisfied with a cup/similar portion at all, I'm slim but I eat alot ;(

I'm having a bad time about eating a breakfast, don't know what to eat, only fruit and water.

Don't eat oatmeal. It's leaving you unsatisfied because there's not any fat in it. Your body does not need that much carbohydrate in the morning. What it needs is potent nutrition to get you going, and some fat to keep you going until lunch. If you're juicing, try making the recipe that I've put in my signature, in addition to eating something with fat in it.

Example breakfast: fresh veg juice, two-three eggs over easy cooked in butter, a small minute steak cooked medium rare (minute steaks are about the size of a cassette tape...)

Oatmeal is full of phytic acid that prevents you from absorbing minerals, and has nothing going for it except fiber, which you can get from much healthier sources (like, say, any vegetable). Also, keep in mind that you can literally eat anything you want for breakfast. It does not have to be "breakfast food", which is usually loaded either with sugar and antinutrients or hydrogenated fats and too much salt anyway. The other day I was feeling unusually hungry and I ate a salmon steak and giant bowl of broccoli covered in butter for breakfast. Usually I just have my vegetable juice and eat around 2. However, I am not naturally skinny, nor do I usually feel hungry at all, ever. My metabolism is very steady and reliable since going low-carb. My body has figured out that it is free to graze on my hips if it's feeling hungry.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/26/2014 2:44 pm

oats are actually fairly high in fat. Fat that's prone to going rancid. Which is why you don't want to buy the mass produced oatmeals. Get steel cut or whole oat groats (which is what I do) soak overnight with a little whey or other fermented product, or a little buckwheat or something high in phytase.. Then cook yourself with a little salt, eat with lots of spices, chopped apple, nuts, seeds, etc. I also add coconut oil. See the better grain thread.

Yes.

MemberMember
(@aldomg)

Posted : 02/26/2014 6:12 pm

oats are actually fairly high in fat. Fat that's prone to going rancid. Which is why you don't want to buy the mass produced oatmeals. Get steel cut or whole oat groats (which is what I do) soak overnight with a little whey or other fermented product, or a little buckwheat or something high in phytase.. Then cook yourself with a little salt, eat with lots of spices, chopped apple, nuts, seeds, etc. I also add coconut oil. See the better grain thread.

Yes.

No, the traditionally made corn tortillas from non-GMO corn in Mexico & central America are not bad. And a vastly superior choice over wheat. The corn is nixtamalized which breaks down any anti-nutrients and makes nutrients more bioavailable.

Unless you are in the northernmost part of Mexico where people hardly eat vegetables, you are probably surrounded by great fresh local foods all year round that the rest of us have to pay a great deal of money for & get them picked underripe & trucked from thousands of miles away if not shipped from another hemisphere. Coconuts, avocados tomatillos, nopales, cacao...

They dont sell whole oats groats where I leave, so the best thing to do I'll stop eating oats.

And yes the tortillas are the traditional ones, how many do you think I can eat a day?

And I eat alot of vegetables too, including avocados, topales.

I'm still breaking out today and the 2 weeks of the pizza already passed aw.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/26/2014 6:58 pm

Yes.

No, the traditionally made corn tortillas from non-GMO corn in Mexico & central America are not bad. And a vastly superior choice over wheat. The corn is nixtamalized which breaks down any anti-nutrients and makes nutrients more bioavailable.

Unless you are in the northernmost part of Mexico where people hardly eat vegetables, you are probably surrounded by great fresh local foods all year round that the rest of us have to pay a great deal of money for & get them picked underripe & trucked from thousands of miles away if not shipped from another hemisphere. Coconuts, avocados tomatillos, nopales, cacao...

They dont sell whole oats groats where I leave, so the best thing to do I'll stop eating oats.

And yes the tortillas are the traditional ones, how many do you think I can eat a day?

My concern is not about how many you eat a day. It's about how much you are filling up on things like this rather than more nutritious whole foods. And my point was that corn tortillas are better than wheat & bread if you must eat your food wrapped up in some refined carb.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/27/2014 10:14 am

Aldo --- What do you typically eat at each meal? What does the rest of your family eat? Are there any health food stores or COOPs near you that sell organic and bulk produce? Since you are young and still living at home, knowing this may help us to help you figure out what to eat that will fill you up and help calm down your skin.

There are a number of ways to do this as you can see from the above posts. The key thing is to eat whole foods...meaning to stay away from highly processed foods and to concentrate on fresh whole vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Some people also do well with wild caught fish and free range meats...both of which have less added hormones and antibiotics. Some people can eat added fats such as oils and butters but many find those things clog up the pores more. So you can see there is no magic formula...just hard work to figure out how your particular body works!

Please remember that you are still young and so your hormones are raging...you will be prone to flare-ups that happen for seemingly no reason. Diet will help but it may also help to review how you wash and what you put on your skin.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/27/2014 11:08 am

Aldo --- What do you typically eat at each meal? What does the rest of your family eat? Are there any health food stores or COOPs near you that sell organic and bulk produce? Since you are young and still living at home, knowing this may help us to help you figure out what to eat that will fill you up and help calm down your skin.

The OP is in Mexico or CentralAmerica. Surrounded by fresh produce.

Eat pumpkin seeds, too. They are loaded with most of the nutrients commonly supplemented for acne like Zinc & beta sito sterol the active ingredient in Saw Palmetto. I used to eat them and recommend them all the time. But they are kind of expensive here. Pumpkin seeds cost about $6/pound while sunflower seeds cost about $3 for organc..