Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Increase Or Not

MemberMember
(@yvolo)

Posted : 02/21/2014 1:05 am

I have been on 50 mg a day for 3 1/2 months and was on bactrim for 2 months...... Things seemed to be clearing up but not totally. I stopped bactrim 2 weeks ago. Today I woke up with 5 huge pimples. Went to deem who gave me 5 huge injections and put me back on bactrim. She also wants to up my spiro to 100 mg. help!!!!!!!!!!!! Should I do it and will I purge again????? What if I increase it gradually? Like reverse weaning. Advise please!!!!!! I'm 43 this week this is the last thing I want to deal with!!!!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/21/2014 9:34 am

So it may be that it's just the Bactrim getting rid of your acne and not the spiro. Bactrim is bactericidal so it wipes out all the bacteria. From what I know about spiro it can take 4-6 months to work fully. I would try the 100mg and if you don't see improvement then drop it back down. Eventually once you are clear you can drop back to a lower mg for maintenance.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/21/2014 9:42 am

totally agree with above poster i would go up to the 100mg and stay there for a few months and see where it gets you. i would stay on the bactrim for a few more months as well and you need to add in something to keep those pores clear whether it be an AHA/BHA or some type of retinoid. good luck to you i know how much it sucks i had to go and get cortisone shots every single week. its awful and just makes you feel so anxious all the time because you are anticipating your next breakout but it will get better. last year at this time i thought i would have cystic acne forever so keep your chin up

oh and one more thing, just go right up to the 100mg because i started at 25mg then 50, 75 and eventually 100 and i had bad breakouts every single time so its best just to jump right into the 100mg and get that over with.

MemberMember
(@yvolo)

Posted : 02/21/2014 10:15 pm

totally agree with above poster i would go up to the 100mg and stay there for a few months and see where it gets you. i would stay on the bactrim for a few more months as well and you need

to add in something to keep those pores clear whether it be an AHA/BHA or some type of retinoid. good luck to you i know how much it sucks i had to go and get cortisone shots every single week. its awful and just makes you feel so anxious all the time because you are anticipating your next breakout but it will get better. last year at this time i thought i would have cystic acne forever so keep your chin up smile.png

oh and one more thing, just go right up to the 100mg because i started at 25mg then 50, 75 and eventually 100 and i had bad breakouts every single time so its best just to jump right into the 100mg and get that over with.

Are you clear now and what did you do to get there and maintain? What kind of aha? I was on retin and I hated it. Broke out the whole time.

Oh and I agree, everyday anxiety!!!! Never had acne, aside from occassional pimple until 5 months ago when I had testosterone pellets implanted in my hip. Was hoping when that wore off I'd be ok but here I am at almost 6 months and still breaking out and have cheeks covered in scars. I am embarrassed to go without makeup, when before I rarely wore much aside from mascara etc. Its doing a number on me and I don't want to leave the house. Pretty impossible with 3 small children. Everywhere I look, clear skin!!!!

What do you cleanse with?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/21/2014 10:42 pm

i am totally clear and have been pretty much since last february. i went on keflex then as a last resort because i was breaking out so bad on the spiro. thank goodness i did it cleared me within 5 days, it was amazing and it saved my life. i am not kidding when i say that. i was in a very bad place. i went back to my derm in march because she wanted me to start accutane and she couldnt believe how clear i was. so i never did the accutane which i was happy about.

when i did get clear i started using proactiv glycolic acid toner everyday in the evening after washing. it gets rid of all that dead skin and makeup and makes my skin feel so nice and clean. it keeps it super smooth too which is just awesome! i cant say enough about that toner. lol, i buy it on ebay for super cheap and it lasts forever! i tried retin-a so many times as well and my skin just totally hates that stuff.

i know how you feel that bad round of cystic acne left me with scars so i never go anywhere without wearing my dermablend intense powder camo foundation or their smooth indulgence concealer. that stuff covers everything thank goodness but yeah when you are breaking out bad it does seem like everybody has beautiful porcelain skin. i never felt so ugly in my life its just so awful. anxiety sucks thats for sure i still get it to this day. its not nearly as bad but it usually comes on when i have to go outside in the sun or when i see an old friend. ugh!

so everyday the only things i use are hylunia gel cleanser, proactiv toner once in the evening, olay regenerist regenerating lotion with spf for the day and olay regenerist deep hydration cream for at night. thats it!

if you feel any spots coming on put the toner on the spot let it dry and then put the bp over that. it take those bumps down quick (provided they arent cystic) and leaves no scar.

MemberMember
(@yvolo)

Posted : 02/22/2014 5:13 pm

So you've been clear for a year? Sounds to good to be true. So happy for you! Are you still on keflex or how long did you take it. I'm terrified to up my spiro!!!! I'm in bactrim, again, but that didn't seam to help with the first purge. My face is so scarred!!!! Im sue it's hormonal because I got my period yesterday and breakout started 3 days ago. Do mind if I ask how old you are? I also use dermablend, covers scars great but nothing covers big ugly bumps.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/22/2014 5:28 pm

Yup i had one cyst and a few tiny pimples in a year but that was it. Even when i was clear in the past i still had cysts every few months so the spiro has been really great for me. I am not on keflex anymore i just quit it recently but i was only taking a few pills a week at that time. That stuff sure is amazing! Yeah your skin sounds like mine before my period i was getting the most awful cysts and nodules. Those things are so painful! I am 36 and struggled off and on with cystic acne since i was 19. I was suppossed to take accutane twice but both times i cleared up before the start. My derm said with hormonal acne that it would come back after accutane anyway so i was happy not to have to put my body through anything else. Yeah nothing covers the bumps but i got every cyst injected. It saved my face from being completely scarred.

MemberMember
(@yvolo)

Posted : 02/22/2014 5:59 pm

Do you think I should switch to keflex and then up the spiro? I was also getting injections everytime but in January we switched insurance due to my husband staring a new job. Now my copay is 150 each visit, before it was 20. I was going at least 1-2 times a week. Now I'm screwed. Even more reason to be terrified of the purging!!!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/23/2014 1:41 pm

You can ask for the keflex and see what the derm says. She might not want to give it to you since you were doing ok on the bactrim before but it cant hurt. Its a powerful antibiotic so if its going to work for you it should kick in pretty quick. I took the generic cephalexin. I would up the dose of spiro probably a week or so of starting the keflex and then add in some sort of AHA nightly. That is awful about the injections it really is the only thing that works sometimes.