Extreme Redness And...

Notifications
Clear all

Extreme Redness And Flaking On The Regimen

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/20/2014 12:29 am

I am well into my fourth week of the regimen, and my face is at its worst. My acne subsided some, but the redness is awful. I also have severe flaking. I'm not even using the full dosage yet, because of how awfully red and flaky I'm getting. My face is bright red and orange! I can't go on without foundation, because people tell me that I look strange. And foundation doesn't really cover the flaking, it makes it stand out more. I am using only the Acne.org products: cleanser, BP, moisturizer, plus I bought some glycolic acid and jojoba oil. Can I use the glycolic acid early to get rid of the flaking? And if I have to minimize the dosage of BP, will it make me get results slower? And will this redness eventually subside? Are these allergic reactions, and what can I do if they are?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/20/2014 1:27 am

Discontinue BP and wait until the irritation subsides. Don't use glycolic acid during this time.

Slather on a basic moisturizer. Use something like Aquaphor, Vanicream or CeraVe.

Use SPF 30+ and use it daily, even when you're inside. Reapply per directions. Also use basic sun protection precautions. The last thing you want is this irritation to be permanent hyperpigmentation!

You can patch test the BP on the crook of your elbow or your wrist. Wait 24-48 hours for an allergic or irritant reaction. Sometimes I wait until 72 hours.

If the redness, dryness, and irritation doesn't subside within 1-2 weeks, go to a dermatologist.

Edit: Needed to finish a sentence. Also, do you have a picture?

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/20/2014 11:25 pm

No, but I'll put one up soon, maybe tomorrow

Thanks so much, I was really getting discouraged

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/24/2014 11:42 pm

I tested the BP on the inside of my elbow, and found nothing, even after a day. I also tested the glycolic acid on the other elbow, and found nothing. I decreased my dose of BP dramatically, and my flaking subsided. Also, I tried the AHA+, and it helped get rid of redness and flaking. My skin is finally back to normal :)

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:12 am

Finally at least one person realized what I have realized many years ago! With BP less is more! People just put BP on top of BP, until their skin swims in BP and then they wonder why the hell they get more acne all the time and their skin is flaking and red! Jesus f*cking Christ, people! You get more acne because your skin can't handle that crazy amount of BP and it's irritated as f*ck! Some people have super tough skin and only they can handle "the regimen" to a T. The original way to use BP is only once a day or every other day, very thin layer. "The regimen" is the last choice like Dan himself said if everything else has failed and you don't have anything to lose anymore.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:39 am

Finally at least one person realized what I have realized many years ago! With BP less is more! People just put BP on top of BP, until their skin swims in BP and then they wonder why the hell they get more acne all the time and their skin is flaking and red! Jesus f*cking Christ, people! You get more acne because your skin can't handle that crazy amount of BP and it's irritated as f*ck! Some people have super tough skin and only they can handle "the regimen" to a T. The original way to use BP is only once a day or every other day, very thin layer. "The regimen" is the last choice like Dan himself said if everything else has failed and you don't have anything to lose anymore.

Thanks for the post, though you could've done it without the swearing, lol. So then I really never have to use a lot of BP? Thank goodness, I hate the side effects it gave me. The cool thing is, I am using less, having less side effects, and still clearing up! I always thought that it would give me scars as well, but I am finding that it doesn't cause scars at all, and even my scars are lessening while using it. Should I go on using a pea size day and night? So how exactly do you use the BP?

reason for edit:Mistakes in grammar

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:58 am

Sorry for the swearing, but I'm so frustrated with people who don't listen to reason. I have been using BP for years and even once a day application was too much for me, I continued to get irritated pimples. Then I reduced the application to once every other night and my skin started to get better and eventually was clear. When you have been clear with once every other day application for a month you can try to reduce the application to only three times a week and maybe try even just twice a week after that. I stayed clear with twice a week application once I had been using BP for a long time.

I use this method of applying BP, I just put a pump of BP on my left palm and then dip my right hand fingers in it and carefully apply it to my face as thin layer as I can and covering all the places where I get acne. And you don't have to use the whole pump, when you have covered all the places with as thin layer as you can, that's it.

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 02/25/2014 9:20 am

I agree that you have to tweak the regimen based upon what works for your skin. A lot depends on how severe your acne is too. Using the regimen just once per day works better for my sons, who have moderate to mild acne. When they bumped up to twice a day their faces were constantly red and dry, and pimples were actually worse from all the irritation. And it never got better. Their skin just seems to do better with less BP, plus the hyper pigmentation seems to fade faster on just once a day.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 02/25/2014 10:12 am

Thank you cupcakejess and KAmanda! There may yet be hope for the human race because of you guys, I though that I was the only person on this planet who can still use common sense and listen to reason.

MemberMember
(@nas-esco)

Posted : 02/25/2014 10:41 am

Thank you cupcakejess and KAmanda! There may yet be hope for the human race because of you guys, I though that I was the only person on this planet who can still use common sense and listen to reason.

Calm down son. Just because less BP worked out for you and some other people, doesnt mean that more is not better for another group of people. Most people seem to react well to using alot of BP and some don't. It's not like less is always better. My skin got used to 2 pumps of BP twice a day for a week and I get no irritation at all. So less is not always better.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:33 pm

Calm down son. Just because less BP worked out for you and some other people, doesnt mean that more is not better for another group of people. Most people seem to react well to using alot of BP and some don't. It's not like less is always better. My skin got used to 2 pumps of BP twice a day for a week and I get no irritation at all. So less is not always better

I didn't say that less is allways the best for everyone. My main point was that using less should be everyones FIRST option and "the regimen" should be the LAST desperate action.

MemberMember
(@nas-esco)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:43 pm

Calm down son. Just because less BP worked out for you and some other people, doesnt mean that more is not better for another group of people. Most people seem to react well to using alot of BP and some don't. It's not like less is always better. My skin got used to 2 pumps of BP twice a day for a week and I get no irritation at all. So less is not always better

I didn't say that less is allways the best for everyone. My main point was that using less should be everyones FIRST option and "the regimen" should be the LAST desperate action.

No, less should only be an option if you CAN'T handle more cause more is always better IF you can handle it.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:54 pm

No, less should only be an option if you CAN'T handle more cause more is always better IF you can handle it.

Oh Jesus Christ, here we go again, where do these people surface? BP is a bleaching agent, it's poison. You say it's best to use poison more even if you could get the same benefits when using less, what kind of logic is that?

MemberMember
(@nas-esco)

Posted : 02/25/2014 2:25 pm

Oh Jesus Christ, here we go again, where do these people surface? BP is a bleaching agent, it's poison. You say it's best to use poison more even if you could get the same benefits when using less, what kind of logic is that?

Listen kid, do you have any actual proof BP is toxic to ones skin/health in ANY way? Because if you do please share with us so every customer who has been using "The Regimen" as instructed by Dan and this site can sue him. I'm sure alot of us would like some quick cash, right? If not then better stfu :)

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 02/25/2014 11:28 pm

Use your common sense kid. Every time your skin gets red, it means it has been damaged, just like when you take too much sun, your skin gets red and irritated, it means your skin has been damaged. Do what you wanna do, I don't care, I can't cure dumbness.

MemberMember
(@nas-esco)

Posted : 02/26/2014 2:36 am

Use your common sense kid. Every time your skin gets red, it means it has been damaged, just like when you take too much sun, your skin gets red and irritated, it means your skin has been damaged. Do what you wanna do, I don't care, I can't cure dumbness.

Go back to school kid, your reading comprehension is terrible. As I said I no longer get irritated from 2 pumps of BP after around 1 week to 10 days. Most people get used to it within 1 month and some around 2. Any effect BP has had on your skin over the treatment is gone after ~1week of not using it. So next time you wanna look stupid, at least read people's posts first and keep using words like "poison" out of place. Cure your mental problems first ( cussing and getting mad over nothing ) and then worry about others.

MemberMember
(@gigglingmuffins)

Posted : 02/26/2014 2:58 pm

Just so you all know, Benzoyl Peroxide has been proven safe and effective by the FDA, however, Benzoyl Peroxide is not to be slathered on like a moisturizer or sunscreen. It can cause dryness, irritation, redness and flaking if overused. I have found this to be true in my own experience. I would not recommend Benzoyl Peroxide as the first acne treatment option to try, I wish I had tried other things before it, and used Benzoyl Peroxide as my last resort.

It's been a part of my everyday skincare routine for nearly 3 years now, and my skin is pretty accustomed to it. It was not always that way. In the beginning, it was a nightmare. I had every possible side effect of this stuff you could imagine, BUT! It cleared up my acne. That's why I still use it today.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/26/2014 6:42 pm

I tested the BP on the inside of my elbow, and found nothing, even after a day. I also tested the glycolic acid on the other elbow, and found nothing. I decreased my dose of BP dramatically, and my flaking subsided. Also, I tried the AHA+, and it helped get rid of redness and flaking. My skin is finally back to normal

Yay! :)

Most acne treatments require no more than a dime-sized amount. If you want to get specific on the dose, that's about 1/8 of a teaspoon. Yes, I do measure that out for my face because I'm that picky.