Notifications
Clear all

Cystic Acne On Neck Under Jawline

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 02/18/2014 2:11 am

I've recently broke out on my neck under my jawline. This is after being completely free of acne and it was a short experience, but definitely great. I'm not sure what to do about my neck acne, I'm using cetaphil gentle skin cleanser, but about every 3-4 days ill use St. Ives apricot scrub to help get the dry skin off. I wash two times a day and drink plenty of water. Any advice for what I should do to treating neck acne? Sometimes the cysts get dry and I don't like using moisturizer anymore because I feel like it just prompts my acne to get worse. I'm using neutropenia healthy skin face lotion SPF 15. Please any advice or suggestion would be of great appreciation.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/18/2014 2:19 am

Are they cysts or nodules? How big are they?

AnLo7 liked
MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 02/18/2014 11:38 pm

Hi um they are nodules and some papules. They're disgusting and frequently bleed liquidity pus. I use rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide after I shower then apply my topical medication. I've been using Alpha hydrox oil free treatment 10% glycolic acid as of late, because my skins been really irritated and flakey lately. They were huge cysts before, but that was until they opened up after hard scubs like the St. Ives apricot scub I use.

My dermatologist really sucks, he's a man of few words, and being a professional in a field that requires great social skills I'm surprised he's made it this far( he's around his 60-70s). I might be going to my physician soon not sure when, but do you suggest asking for a blood test? Will a blood test be of any help?

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/18/2014 11:40 pm

i have same issue...front neck area...its really sensitive there...is that where ures is? the alcohol and scrub mite be 2 harsh

AnLo7 liked
MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 02/18/2014 11:56 pm

Hi lanette thanks for posting, well yes it's the front of my neck. It starts after my jawline going to my neck. I have tough skin so I don't think alcohol and a scrub might be too harsh but on the borderline of harsh. Has anything worked to control your neck acne?

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/19/2014 10:48 am

not really....its super sensitive area 4 me....bp works...but then i run into a host oo other issues such as redness/dryness/irritation....i just cant win.... have u tried dans products?? i think it mite b an ingredient in the bp...and his cleansers overdrying....i get more dry from cleanser than bp...ever had these issues???

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:22 pm

What kind of cleanser are you using? I haven't tried Dans products and I don't intend on starting today, they seem like cheap ordinary stuff. I'm sure you can get better stuff over the counter at a cheaper price at your local pharamacy. Not that I'm an expert, but ill take my chances.

Um I've been going to my dermatologist and I'm back on dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day every 6 hours. I was take Clindamycin HCL 300 mg three times a day for about 1 week. Seems to be working a bit, I think it's because I got an abscess removed on my tailbone. I'm also using Mupiroin 2% ointment once a day. I'm suppose to use it for about a week. The area around the blemishes are red, wasn't this red before. I'm also using Cetaphilgentle skin cleanser twice a day.

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/25/2014 6:18 pm

i was using cetaphil gentle cleanser too but found it too drying...i was using dans but also found it too drying, now jus water....and its calming down some. i bought ph test strips to check the ph of all my products..ud be surprised that cetaphil gentle cleanser is about a 6...which is a lil high on the scale..acne prone skin prefers a lower range of about 4.5...and the other bar cleanser that dan prefers which is called basis is a 9!! the soap turned blue when tested...thats really bad....if u can check the ph of all ure skin care products that may help....

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/25/2014 6:22 pm

Hi um they are nodules and some papules. They're disgusting and frequently bleed liquidity pus. I use rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide after I shower then apply my topical medication. I've been using Alpha hydrox oil free treatment 10% glycolic acid as of late, because my skins been really irritated and flakey lately. They were huge cysts before, but that was until they opened up after hard scubs like the St. Ives apricot scub I use.

My dermatologist really sucks, he's a man of few words, and being a professional in a field that requires great social skills I'm surprised he's made it this far( he's around his 60-70s). I might be going to my physician soon not sure when, but do you suggest asking for a blood test? Will a blood test be of any help?

Don't think a blood test would be useful. You'll probably have to get cortisone injections and/or go on a round of Accutane. Maybe even go to another dermatologist.

Please don't scrub! Nodules and cysts are extremely resistant to topical treatment, and trying to scrub them is only going to make the inflammation worse!

MemberMember
(@mako65)

Posted : 03/07/2014 12:18 am

Find a new dermatologist who's more current on treatments. I've had good luck with cortisone injections for cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 09/02/2014 2:26 am

Update:

I've been reluctant on updating because I hardly get any replies, but maybe this could draw further advice.

The cystic acne under my jawline are almost gone. I had my lousy derm inject them, and it helped. Now I have around two nodular pimples and they have been there ever since. The last derm appointment Ive been to was around March. I've stopped going to my derm.

Back in Feburary, I made a post asking for advice on blackheads on my chest. Well ever since that post my chest had been getting worse and worse. I was using Clean and clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser with 10% benzoyl peroxide, which was a costly mistake because of the irritation caused by excessive dryness. I wasn't using moisturizer around that time, but I eventually quit using that cleanser around March. Up until now I use Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for both my face and chest. I using Dans Moisturizer with 10% Glycolic Acid on my chest.

Anyway, my chest consist of multiple nodular lesions, around 10. Pretty bad. I lost faith in dermatologists and I don't know what to do with this chest acne. It doesn't seem to change, this nodular acne is persistent. Today I've decided to start up with the St. Ives Apricot Scrub, hopefully that'll help. I'm not gonna opt for the cortisone shots for my chest, it hurts to begin with and my derm only inject about 3 pimples per visit.

Help please, what can I do???

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 05/30/2015 1:37 am

Updated:

Went to a new dermatologist and boy do I wish I would of went sooner. I developed keloid scars on my chest and neck because of my stubbornness. Yes it has taken an psychological toll on my life.

Aside from that my dermatologist who is the best, she recommended I take a course of accutane. I agreed because I had nothing to lose and all to gain plus most or the horror/fail stories are very miniscule to the success stories out there. Most of which aren't told.

I went 5 months, started with 40 mg, moved on to 60mg. The last 3 months I finished with 80mg and with an cumulative dosage of 10,200mg I surpassed the goal dosage of 9,600mg she had set.

The only side effects were dry lips and dry skin. If I weren't terrified by the plethora of bad experiences poated and took more into account the success stories I would of 100% agreed to accutane when my acne was treatable to prevent scarring.

I've been also getting steroid injections on my chest and neck for 6 months now. I've noticed improvements but if the improvements are gonna be this minimal ever month I can't possibly imagine how long it'll take for the scars to flatten out. She told me they they will flatten out and the redness will fade but I'll have a Shiny spot left from the scar. If it flattens and the redness subsides and I'll be more than happy with these "shiny scars". Though she did mention laser treatment for the shiny spots which unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover and I don't have money to go throwing away.

Thank you to those who gave me advice and tried to keep me motivated. If you got question don't be hesitant to drop them I'll do my best to answer. I'll update about my scars in a bit till then see ya. :]