Notifications
Clear all

26 Year Old Male First Course.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 02/16/2014 6:49 pm

I decided after 12 years, that I wouldn't take any more antibiotics. I tried a gluten free diet, paleo diet, all supplements. I tried a liver cleanse that involved fasting and drinking straight olive oil. I tried drinking water/using toothpaste without flouride. I tried a 3 day apple fast. So many other ridiculous things.

So after I stopped my last 6 month course of doxycycline, I went to my dermatologist and started on Amnesteem. I'll try to keep this updated.

I'm 150lbs and taking 40mg once per day. My first month cost $210.00 USD with insurance

Examples of my breakouts:

post-64230-0-67585200-1392593865.jpg

post-64230-0-46957500-1392593872.jpg

Day 1 of Accutane (~2 weeks after stopping doxycycline)

post-64230-0-18456200-1392593879.jpg

post-64230-0-67585200-1392593865.jpg

post-64230-0-46957500-1392593872.jpg

post-64230-0-18456200-1392593879.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/17/2014 1:35 am

You're going to see results very soon! The thing isn't all joy but it sure as hell is worth it!

Though, I can't help but wonder why did they charge you that much for Amnesteem. I got Accutane 40mg for ~70$ (Which was fully covered by the RAMQ). The refill was the same price too. Weird....

Keep us posted about your progress!

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 02/17/2014 1:49 am

I know what you mean man, I'm so tired of all thee so called cures into acne. I have tried all of the diet routes as well as the topicals and antibiotics, I just want my life back and I think accutane is going to help me A LOT. I would like to see your progress, good luck man!

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 02/20/2014 9:09 am

Day 6 - I think I'm going to quit.

I have severe lower back pain like I've never felt in my life, and almost every joint in my body is popping when I move. I can't think or concentrate. My ears are ringing. All of my stools are yellow. I can't sleep and when I do it's constant nightmares.

Also very dizzy and depressed

I don't think I could take 6 months of this. I would end up dead

MemberMember
(@behappyeveryday)

Posted : 02/20/2014 10:07 am

I have severe lower back pain like I've never felt in my life, and almost every joint in my body is popping when I move. I can't think or concentrate. My ears are ringing. All of my stools are yellow. I can't sleep and when I do it's constant nightmares.

Sorry to hear all that...You could lower your dose and see if that help. I started with 20mg/day and had minimal side effect. Now I'm up to 40mg/day. It might take a little bit longer but lower dose helps your body to get used to the meds. Talk to your Derm and see if this is an option.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 02/20/2014 10:09 am

Is taking 40mg every other day an option? I just wasted $200 on my 30 day supply

EDIT: Still feeling horrible from last night's pill. I think it's also high blood pressure - I can feel this "whoosh" going throughout my entire body and through my ears. I'm definitely stopping this for good.

I don't know if it's because I'm underweight at 6' 150lbs, my body just can't handle this. I'd also like to note that I was already seeing a huge improvement in my skin - it seems like my body reacted way faster than most people. My skin is looking pretty awesome right now. I'd like to hear if any others out there had extremely fast reactions as well.

MemberMember
(@philopower)

Posted : 03/02/2014 1:03 am

Is taking 40mg every other day an option? I just wasted $200 on my 30 day supply

EDIT: Still feeling horrible from last night's pill. I think it's also high blood pressure - I can feel this "whoosh" going throughout my entire body and through my ears. I'm definitely stopping this for good.

I don't know if it's because I'm underweight at 6' 150lbs, my body just can't handle this. I'd also like to note that I was already seeing a huge improvement in my skin - it seems like my body reacted way faster than most people. My skin is looking pretty awesome right now. I'd like to hear if any others out there had extremely fast reactions as well.

you're actually not underweight just fyi

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:20 am

Dang. Really sorry to hear/read that.

Do you think you could go down to 10-20 mg?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 03/03/2014 12:56 am

You remind me of myself. 26 years old and the acne never went away. I see you also have a 2007 join date. Did you ever think that you would still be on this forum in 2014? I have debated Accutane so many times and never went on it which I regret every single day. I manage to remain clear for the most part but I have to do so much shit (BP twice a day, a ton of cod liver oil, diet restrictions) where I just want to go on Accutane. Good luck man!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/11/2014 11:25 pm

I decided after 12 years, that I wouldn't take any more antibiotics. I tried a gluten free diet, paleo diet, all supplements. I tried a liver cleanse that involved fasting and drinking straight olive oil. I tried drinking water/using toothpaste without flouride. I tried a 3 day apple fast. So many other ridiculous things.

So after I stopped my last 6 month course of doxycycline, I went to my dermatologist and started on Amnesteem. I'll try to keep this updated.

I'm 150lbs and taking 40mg once per day. My first month cost $210.00 USD with insurance

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

Hey man. I messaged you but you didn't reply so I'll paste the message here.

I somehow stumbled across your really old posts and realized we are going through the same thing. One advice I'd give you is to stop eating chocolates or anything with refined sugar. It helped me tons! And no chips or soda or fries. Or white rice or bread. Give tha a try. Only thing is this cleared me up like only 60percent .. I've been on doxy and got resistant and now almost resistant to mino so trying to wean off it now.

Did epiduo clear you up completely? Thinking of trying that! Let me know man.

Maybe we could tackle this problem together. I have a list of things I wanna try. Let me know if you do too. We can save time and keep each other updated.

I feel your pain man. I know what you're going through I'm 24 and I think about my skin 24/7 even when I'm clear because I know it'll return. I'm really glad I found sugar and spices to be my main trigger.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/12/2014 9:55 pm

Hey,

Why don't you start with a very low dose, like 10mg per day?

The results will come slowly but surely

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/18/2014 2:42 pm

photo.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Wow! Those are very severe side effects. On a side note- my understanding is that doctors recommend being off doxycycline for *at least* a month before starting accutane, as these two drugs are known to interact (even at very tiny levels of the antibiotic) and cause some pretty scary neurological side-effects. Although this wouldn't explain the joint pain, lower back pain or bowel issues, it may be related to your neurological complaints.

In terms of the yellow stool, that is very, very alarming and I would visit a doctor right away to rule out any issues with your liver or pancreas. However, one thing you mentioned has me curious - how long ago did you do the cleanse where you drank straight olive oil for a while? If it was recently, this could be a very simple explanation for your stool problems. Drinking olive-oil (or any oil for that matter) in large quantities is simply too much fat for your intestines to absorb.

Unabsorbed fat can make your stool appear very greasy, oily and yes - yellow (sorry for that mental image). Yellow stools are typically an alarming symptom because your body can absorb fat very efficiently, and when it does not without any outside explanation (i.e., weight-loss medication or eating a very abnormally large amount of fat at one time) this can indicate some pretty serious problems with your liver or pancreas. However, if you did the olive-oil cleanse thing (as in, say, right before your course) - that is a much more likely explanation for your stool problems than liver or pancreas disease.

As for the joint pain and back pain, if it is very painful that is definitely grounds for stopping the medication. However, if you can bare with it - It may subside with time (it did around the second course in my case, but it certainly wasn't so severe that I thought about stopping because of it).

All in all, I would just stop the medication until you can speak to a dermatologist about your side-effects, there is no reason to put your health at risk.