Notifications
Clear all

Hydrating Dry Skin With Acne After Accutane

MemberMember
(@rihabb)

Posted : 02/16/2014 4:43 pm

Hello,

I have used 2 years ago, a treatment for acne which is accutane and I followed this for 1 year and 2 months, then I had to stop because my heart started doing palpilations.

My skin is since dry but I still have acne (on my forehead especially). When I use non-comedogenic moisturizer cream for my skin (given by my dermatologist), I get new acne and my skin feels bad like the moisturizer is heavy while it is specialized for skins with problems.

I used also natural products like Jojoba oil or hazelnut oil or argan oil, also I get acne.

When I stop using moisturizing products I get less acne but I feel my skin as dry and it bothers me.

I have heart about Aloe vera , does anyone know if it is sufficient for hydrating the skin. I mean if I buy aloe vera gel, do I have also to use an oil moisturizer ?

And my second question, is there anyone who finished accutane treatment and did find a solution for moisturizing skin without having acne after that ?

thank you for answering, I really feel confused about hydrating my skin..

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/16/2014 4:54 pm

I haven't seen any evidence that aloe vera is moisturizing/hydrating.

5% petrolatum + glycerin is probably the best for dry skin.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 02/16/2014 5:33 pm

I took accutane - ended 4 months ago. I just cleanse lightly so not to strip it but still cleaning it and i do nothing else but drink a llootottttt of water. I cant use anything else on my face because i breakout.

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/16/2014 5:40 pm

ive tried pure aloe for my back and its hydrating and leaves skin very smooth...but look for pure aloe vera, not the gel that has added ingredients. what else have u tried for moisturizing? where is the dryness/acne located?

MemberMember
(@rihabb)

Posted : 02/17/2014 1:00 am

thank you for your answers. @michelle : the problem is that I tried several products containing glycerin and petrolatum but it's heavy and I have acne after.

do you think I should use a moisturizing lotion or gel instead of cream ?

@lanette : the problem is that in tunisia, we don't sell it as pure, only imported products such creams or gel... thank you for the information anyway. here in the photo the creams I used. for your last question, the dryness is everywhere in my face but less in my forehead.

post-118388-0-21875000-1392615955.jpg

post-118388-0-21875000-1392615955.jpg

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/17/2014 3:00 am

Lotions or gel-creams, or milks are nicer for oily skin. The downside to that is they tend to have lightweight occlusive agents like dimethicone, which will only reduce water loss by 20-30%. 5% petrolatum reduces water loss by ~98%. So the lighter stuff like CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion PM, the one I'm using, might not help really dry skin.

If you can get it, Theraplex Hydrolotion is really nice. It's lighter than most other petrolatum products out there.