Notifications
Clear all

How Long To Wait Before Treating Scars?

MemberMember
(@pumpkinhat)

Posted : 02/13/2014 10:27 pm

Hi!

I've been batteling with acne for years, and can finally say it's getting a lot better. Most of the red marks are gone, but I still have scarring that gives my skin a weird texture on the cheeks. My question is, how long do I have to wait to try to remove/treat these? What method is the safest?

I'm a 19 year old girl who live in Sweden. I wash my face morning and evening with La Roche-Posay's cleanser and I use their moisturizer. At evening, I also use "Epiduo" gel. I have been using it for a couple of months and it has been great. I use sunscreen everyday and drink lots of water. Sometimes I still get small pimples around my chin the week before I get my period.

What method is the safest and best for (what I think is) boxcars? How long do I have to wait? I can upload a better picture of the scars if you want. The first picture from the left is taken 2 years ago, the middle is 1,5 years ago and the last one is from today. Sorry about the different lighting.

post-377000-0-48807200-1392348339.jpg

post-377000-0-48807200-1392348339.jpg

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 02/13/2014 10:57 pm

wow! Looks wonderful! did you use accutane? or other medications?

I dont much about getting rid of the texture- only hyper pigmentation

MemberMember
(@pumpkinhat)

Posted : 02/13/2014 11:10 pm

Thank you! No, I only used the "Epiduo" gel that I got prescripted. Oh, then maybe you have some useful tips on that! I still have some red marks left and I'd love to speed up the healing of those aswell.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/13/2014 11:56 pm

If you've definitely got your acne under control (which is sounds like you have), you can pursue scar treatment as soon as you want with your derm's approval.

There are a wide variety of treatments for (shallower) scars. Fraxel re:pair or re:store, dermal fillers, subcision, TCA CROSS are commonly used for uneven texture due to scars. Of course, the shallower the scars, the likelier the better response. Keep in mind that these treatments have different "downtimes" and side effects.

Edit: In many procedures like chemical peels, your provider will give you a special topical regimen or tell you what to use to prep for scar treatment.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 02/14/2014 1:00 am

ah i tried epiduo- didnt work for me sadly along with any other topical mostly because my sensitive skin and rosacea. Ive had V-beam done once that takes away HP. Just make sure to wear spf and limit time in the sun after so the scars dont reappear.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/14/2014 1:32 am

Look into subcision with fat grafting.

MemberMember
(@lotstolearn)

Posted : 02/14/2014 6:05 am

Did you use any topicals to help speed up the healing process of your hyperpigmentation (red marks) or no? Because I hear time heals red marks but I'm not 100% sure if it works since some people have red marks for over 5 years. Most likely the sunscreen helped though.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/14/2014 11:21 am

you could do ipl or v-beam for your red marks but they arent bad at all. i bet even a few tca peels could really help your skin but besides that i wouldnt do anything else.

you have some pretty great skin so no reason to really mess with it. even just adding in glycolic acid daily could speed up the healing of those marks but if you decide to go that route make sure you use a good spf.

you look great though!!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 02/14/2014 3:36 pm

Ok stop guys. Seriously? Already persuading her to push for a thousand dollar treatment for MINIMAL/NO scarring. Yeaaaa NO. You guys are a joke

Retin A and Dermarolling

VBeam/IPL if you have the extra money, but only one treatment.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/14/2014 6:25 pm

@Robertitoo: We are only informing her of the various options. Most of us are probably assuming that the picture isn't accurate due to lighting. She may very well have boxcar scars, but the bright yellowness could very easily conceal it.

@PumpkinHat: Topical creams have very limited effectiveness of scars due to collagen loss. This is because topicals like Retin-A can't create enough damage/"signal" the dermis to build/replace the missing collagen.

Red marks take a while to heal, possibly as long as a year. It's also possible that the raised, red bumps aren't acne, just scars.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 02/14/2014 9:00 pm

Yep. Often times people confuse red marks with hyperpigmentation

MemberMember
(@airlie)

Posted : 02/16/2014 8:44 pm

I actually think your skin is still healing so you should leave it for a bit. I am using Dan's products (The regimen) available from acne.org and I have noticed that the bp treatment is making my scars disappear. It's really weird because I didnt expect it would do that because I was only treating the pimples but it seems to be removing the red marks also which is a real bonus! Have you tried the products? I highly recommend them. I have only been using it for a week and I have friends commenting on my skin already!

Also rosehip oil is great for scars or jojoaba oil!

MemberMember
(@kb2000)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:21 am

You still have active acne, as you say in your post. I would guess that you need to have your acne under control before doing treatments which can really irritate your skin, and trigger a breakout. Go see a dermatologist and get a medical opinion though.