Notifications
Clear all

How To Use Bio Oil With Retin A?

MemberMember
(@prowlings)

Posted : 02/11/2014 4:39 pm

Retin A has been pretty effective in helping with my acne. However, lately I've been breaking out a little more than usual, which has resulted in some hyperpigmentation. I have access to bio oil, and am contemplating adding it to my skincare regime in hopes of treating the new hyperpigmentation in addition to some old hyperpigmentation.

I was thinking I should use it in the morning, but how, and after which step? Below is my current skincare regime (I'm an 18 yo female with oily/combination skin):

Morning:

Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser for senstive skin

Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner

Use vitamin E skin oil as an antioxidant and apply to the undereye area and to hyperpigmention (I'm thinking about switching to a vitamin C serum)

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer with SPF 35 (including undereye area)

Night:

Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser for sensitive skin

Retin-A Cream 0.05% (including undereye area as sort of an eye cream)

[after waiting until I feel like the retin A has absorbed a decent amount] Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for sensitive skin (including undereye area)

Any suggestions on how to use bio oil (whether I should even include it in my routine) and improve my regime are greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 02/11/2014 6:11 pm

bio oil clog pores it has mineral oil as a ingredient so you will breakout from it

MemberMember
(@prowlings)

Posted : 02/11/2014 7:24 pm

@LeadingForce - Ahh. So what alternatives would you recommend for hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:14 pm

Recent studies show that mineral oil is non-comedogenic on human skin.

Certainly it may break some people out, but so does everything.

There is NO good science supporting the idea that mineral oil will clog pores.

There is some incredibly old science from the seventies that implied this, but it has been proven false over and over and over and over.

Just sayin'

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:28 pm

From a free paper:

"The American Academy of Dermatology proposed guidelines to try to interpret the differences in the animal to human data, and they concluded that 12 comedones in animal testing would be unlikely to be an indicator of comedogenicity in humans [38]. This is precisely the comedogenic activity of 100% mineral oil reported in five studies, that is, zero. Furthermore, DiNardo tested in humans the formulations containing mineral oil up to 30% and found that there was no comedogenicity potential of mineral oil [39]. A wide series of products were tested that showed a comedogenic activity in the same range as the negative control. The overall conclusion is that mineral oil is not comedogenic. But this article also reveals that there is a difference between animal models and human models: the rabbit model is much more prone to comedogenicity than the human model, but all the earlier data that condemned mineral oil originate from animal models, a situation scientists even say will be difficult to correct [39]."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2012.00752.x/full

MemberMember
(@prowlings)

Posted : 02/12/2014 12:05 am

Haha, so you guys still recommend bio oil? Has it worked for any of you?

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 02/12/2014 10:07 am

i did not breakout from bio oil, you can try a patch test. As for pigmentation it is fading alittle but i am not sure if its bio oil or just time fading it away.