Notifications
Clear all

What Is Causing My Breakout?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 02/10/2014 4:48 pm

Hello Everyone!

I woke up this morning and my skin was broken out, I have about 7 whiteheads on my nose and my mouth/chin area, and my skin seemed a bit oily today. Usually, my skin is clear, except 1 or 2 small whiteheads during certain times of the month. There have been 3 things that I think may have caused this acne to pop up, but I'm not sure which one.

1st, this past weekend I've been eating badly, consisting of a lot of sweet Bourbon brownies, and hotdogs with fries and chili. Normally, my diet is fairly healthy, with a sweet here and there, but I ate quite a bit this weekend.

2nd, I've been using up old cleansers/masks to get rid of them so my cabinet is clean and only consists of things I use. Last night I used Aveenos positively brightening cleanser that is close to a year old to wash my face, and I wondered if that broke my skin out.

And 3rd, for the past month and 10 days (since the beginning of January) I've been taking 1 gram of Omega 3 fish oil every day. I haven't noticed any side effects from this pill, except that my skin feels soft, and has stayed clear until this morning. I've read that fish oil usually causes adverse affects in the beginning, and that one would broke out within the first week, rather than over a month later. Any ideas which of these 3 things could be the reason my skin broke out last night? Thanks! (:

(Tonight, I'm going to use my regular cleanser instead, so that way if the cleanser is the issue, I won't make it worse.)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 02/10/2014 6:34 pm

Hmm if I had to pick one id focus on your second theory first. Any sudden change in products usually breaks me out. Its hard to say, hope you clear up though!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 02/10/2014 6:38 pm

Think you answered your own question in the '1st' statement. I've been the same lately and have had a pretty bad breakout of whiteheads around my chin.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 02/10/2014 7:47 pm

Change of diet and change of product can definitely trigger a break out. Give it time, it will heal.

MemberMember
(@hedgecore)

Posted : 02/10/2014 8:44 pm

They say if it's like on your chin area It could be your hormones , so chill ......lol jk

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 02/10/2014 9:11 pm

Thank you CWR34, LewisS, LadyPink, and Hedgecore for all of your helpful replies! I used my normal face wash tonight, so I'll see how it looks in the morning. I'm also going to try and eat healthier (thankfully all of the delicious brownies are gone!) and see how things look in a few days. (:

MemberMember
(@amarshgv)

Posted : 02/10/2014 10:30 pm

Sunny Sarah,

Definitely sounds like the 2nd reason to me, your skin is just used to that cleanser so the change made it flair up that all. I wouldnt worry much about it though sounds like you have really good skin so this will pass and youll be back to usual soon! Just stick to your normal cleanser :)

-Alex

MemberMember
(@veeharu)

Posted : 02/18/2014 11:07 pm

My dermatologist has mentioned that it's not the food itself that affects your skin, but the oils or grease on the food that can transfer to your face and cause acne. However, I'd probably go with your Aveeno thing. It may have been overkill for your face, since it's a pretty old mask.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 02/19/2014 6:20 am

Thank you for your replies Alex and VeeHaru, my skin is doing much better than a week ago! I think it was mainly the Aveeno wash that broke me out, possibly the bad food too. (: