Notifications
Clear all

Edta-Free Tea Tree Soap?

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 02/09/2014 10:11 am

Does anyone know where I can get some in the UK?

Basically, I stopped using quinoderm because it gave me horrible angular cheilitis and eczema. I tried organic tea tree soap, which works fantastically on my spots, but it also gives me the same reaction (albeit not as bad as the quinoderm). The only common ingredient there is EDTA (also known as edetic acid) so I assume that is the cause of my problems.

It's not a common allergy so it's not like there's any advertised as EDTA-free, and EDTA seems to be in basically anything you put on your face.

Tl;dr anyone know where I can find some?

MemberMember
(@organiclemonade)

Posted : 02/09/2014 2:55 pm

EDTA is a common compound used to chelate cations (to avoid precipitation in a solution). It is rare that it would cause the "allergic reactions" you are describing. If anything, I think you have sensitive skin type and that is why you developed those reactions (benzyl peroxide and tea tree oil are very drying). I personally use tea tree oil + toner for my bacne, and this combo works for me. So I am sure you can mix tea tree oil with any gentle face wash of your choice so as to avoid any chemicals that could exacerbate sensitivity reactions.

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 02/09/2014 8:32 pm

I suppose it's possible - but I used quinoderm 5 to treat my spots without a problem for several years, then I suddenly became "allergic", getting a big red ring around my lips. Hell, even used quinoderm 10 for a while before finding out it was a bit useless. The soap seems to have only a small reaction since it is washed straight off.

I will look into it, thanks :) definitely want to investigate the tea tree route more, it's actually working really well apart from the reaction.

(good to see some chemistry on here too haha!)