Notifications
Clear all

Bodybuilding And Acne

MemberMember
(@chris2426)

Posted : 02/06/2014 10:49 am

Hello -

This is my first post on the forums and I came here because I am at a loss right now in regards to my acne. This morning I looked behind my ear and found a few red bumps that look like acne pimples, but on one of them looks almost like some dead skin that is stuck to it. I don't know how to explain it, it is just this thing that is on top of my pimple that almost seems stuck to it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

A little background information. I started bodybuilding in March of 2013 when I was really underweight from an eating disorder. I was around 100 lb so I was trying to gain weight. In about ten months I put on around 60 lb without the use of performance enhancers. As I gained weight my calorie intake needed to go up so I could continue to gain weight. At the highest I was consuming 4,200 calories per day. Sometimes within these ten months I started developing acne, and then it just snowballed. I have acne all over my face, in my middle chest area, a little on my shoulders and on my upper back. But the this morning I found the thing behind my ear. It isn't the pimples that bother me so much as it is that other thing on top of the pimple, and the only way I can describe it is as a piece of dead skin or whatever, I really am not sure. Any advice?

MemberMember
(@chris2426)

Posted : 02/06/2014 11:06 am

I don't know if I explained it correctly. I was just looking at it again, it is this soft layer of something that has developed in between the acne and my ear.

MemberMember
(@stilltrying1)

Posted : 02/06/2014 11:15 pm

i am a competitive weightlifter and i am around 80 to 90% sure that ever since i began what most would consider "extreme" athletics (distance running +100 miles a week, then olympic weightlifting) it has what has caused persistent acne. i would get a couple spots every now and again and never worry about how i treated my skin before this. 6ish years later and now my skin is ruining my life. right now acne is clear (aside from on the back a bit) but all the treatments and everything -- i think is what did it -- have caused me oil problems as well.... i LOVE weightlifting and cant imagine life without A LOT of exercise, but if i trace back to when this started, it began with putting my body to the limits.... the general consensus here is that weightlifting / hard workouts shouldnt cause too much trouble, but it would make sense in my situation... i just dont know if i want to let this dictate my passions.

MemberMember
(@chris2426)

Posted : 02/12/2014 6:19 am

I have heard it is a common issue among weight lifters / bodybuilders. I think it could have something to do with the increase in testosterone. It becomes an endless battle and make you wonder why you have to have one over the other: nice physique or good skin. Somehow there has to be able to be a balance where you achieve both.