Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Knows What Really Works For Redness And Scars?

MemberMember
(@jeanettegiron26)

Posted : 02/05/2014 1:16 am

I want these scars and redness to go away!!! Please if anybody can help me with any treatment that really works, Please I would like to know because I am so depressed.

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 02/05/2014 2:47 pm

glycolic acid or lactic acid are both amazing. my face was covered in very red marks and they are all quite faded now and many gone entirely after using these acids in the form of chemical peels done at home. the key is to build up your tolerance to stronger concentrations of acid so you don't damage your skin starting too high. the results aren't instantenous of course, but doing one peel a week (at night) for about three months now I can say that I've had definite improvements.

in my gallery you can see the results of this regimen.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 02/05/2014 2:54 pm

How much concentration would you say is appropriate for a beginner who's never done peels before and who has sensitive skin?

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 02/05/2014 3:31 pm

Well I started with lactic acid at 40 percent. This was gentle enough for my sensitive skin while still making an impact on my skin. So, it did exfoliate but didn't burn my skin off. I'd start with something like that, higher than what you'd find in typical chemical exfoliant preparations (e.g. the AHA lotion from this site), and work up from there if you want to see more rapid results.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 02/06/2014 8:36 pm

40% is very strong in my opinion. I went for acid peels and my doctor used 30% concentration usually not to be done at home. She leaves it on for 5 minutes then washes it off right away because it can literally burn your skin and cause discoloration.

Home peeling treatments are usually 5-10% concentration.

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 02/06/2014 10:39 pm

@LadyPink

You must have received a TCA peel, not lactic peel. For treating hyperpigmentation, I would suggest using ceramide to restore skin barrier. I have used home peels for a while now and they usually cause more sensitive skin.

MemberMember
(@claire0109)

Posted : 02/28/2014 5:00 pm

I use lavender oil and it really helps to get rid of redness, I don't have scarring so I would not know about that, but I have heard that it works well for scarring if you were looking to go a more natural route.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/28/2014 8:47 pm

I want these scars and redness to go away!!! Please if anybody can help me with any treatment that really works, Please I would like to know because I am so depressed.

What kind of scars and do you mean redness as in the red marks? I can only help you if I know specifics.

MemberMember
(@jeanettegiron26)

Posted : 03/01/2014 11:10 am

Hi, there

I don't know what kind of scars I have. I know that they are not deep, there on top of the surface of my skin. It looks like I have blotchy skin,Thats what I mean with the redness, it makes my scars more noticeable. I being going to the dermogolist for about about 7yrs. I being using tretionin gel on my scars not seems to work! I don't have acne anymore just scars and the redness

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/02/2014 6:56 am

Hi jeanette,

You might have ice pick scars as I do. They are small indentations in the skin. Tretionin gel is helpful for discoloration if not for the scars so you must consider a higher concentration gel. What's the concentration?

I have mild scarring but I still didn't tried anything because I'm short in cash, unfortunately. Although I believe my best options are needling, light peels (5/10%) and Retin A. You should research this options, it might help you too.

Shellbyville

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 4:15 pm

Hi, there

I don't know what kind of scars I have. I know that they are not deep, there on top of the surface of my skin. It looks like I have blotchy skin,Thats what I mean with the redness, it makes my scars more noticeable. I being going to the dermogolist for about about 7yrs. I being using tretionin gel on my scars not seems to work! I don't have acne anymore just scars and the redness

70% glycolic acid, Jessner's solution, and/or light-to-medium TCA chemical peels can help. TCA CROSS is good for icepick scars. You might want to consider CO2 laser resurfacing or IPL. Bring this up with your derm, of course.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:34 pm

when i was using retin a , i feel like it made my indented scars look worst idk if its the same for everyone :\

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/03/2014 4:17 am

Hi there leadingforce,

I thought retin a was supposed to improve the skin tissue and making the indents shallower. I have small indented scars, please let me know your experience. Tell me what worked for you and what made it worse.

(You have ice pick scars, ugh?)

Thanks ^^

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 03/03/2014 12:27 pm

when i was using retin a , i feel like it made my indented scars look worst idk if its the same for everyone :\

I actually experienced this as well. I saw more indentations on my face for some reason. I dropped retin-A after 6 days and now I am left with more scars.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/03/2014 3:15 pm

Wow, I was mistaken. I thought Retin A was good for indents though...

Anyway, thank you for your testimonials aurevoir771 LeadingForce

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/03/2014 9:03 pm

Wow, I was mistaken. I thought Retin A was good for indents though...

Anyway, thank you for your testimonials aurevoir771 LeadingForce

Only for very, very, very shallow indents. Anything deeper, forget about it.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/04/2014 7:33 am

Thank you Michelle Reece,

Just one more thing. Do you believe it will improve these scars?

Acne Scars | San Francisco East Bay Area Oakland CA California

Just the ice pick ones. I believe they are shallow.

Thanks again

MemberMember
(@doddy46)

Posted : 03/04/2014 7:51 am

HOly FUck, Dont fuck around with this shit. THe redness WILL FADE ON ITS OWN FFS. WHy risk damaging your skin, hoping to speed this up? dont be rediculous. Eat healthy, drink healty, live healthy, get some sun, unprotected sun, clean air. Focus on joyful things, and things that require attention (Responibilities) never mind the bit of red on your face that will go away eventually.

(If you are DETERMINED TO USE A PRODUCT, AND I DONT RECOMMEND THIS, BUT USE "SKIN LIGHTEN" BY DERMA E - It's for age spots but it works by dispersing melanin evenly) Will take awhile, but it is a safe product. Be warned, it IS a moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/06/2014 1:01 am

Thank you Michelle Reece,

Just one more thing. Do you believe it will improve these scars?

Acne Scars | San Francisco East Bay Area Oakland CA California

Just the ice pick ones. I believe they are shallow.

Thanks again

Only ones that look like enlarged pores--but only somewhat. It wouldn't fix the scar itself, really, more like reduce their appearance. But, then again, they wouldn't be true icepick scars.

HOly FUck, Dont fuck around with this shit. THe redness WILL FADE ON ITS OWN FFS. WHy risk damaging your skin, hoping to speed this up? dont be rediculous. Eat healthy, drink healty, live healthy, get some sun, unprotected sun, clean air. Focus on joyful things, and things that require attention (Responibilities) never mind the bit of red on your face that will go away eventually.

(If you are DETERMINED TO USE A PRODUCT, AND I DONT RECOMMEND THIS, BUT USE "SKIN LIGHTEN" BY DERMA E - It's for age spots but it works by dispersing melanin evenly) Will take awhile, but it is a safe product. Be warned, it IS a moisturizer.

Redness does not always fade on its own. Hypertrophic scars that are red on pale skin, for example, won't fade. The typical flat "red marks" can fade, but not always. Sun damage will make it worse, which is why she needs to be diligent in sun protection.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/06/2014 3:13 am

Michelle Reece, thank you so much by your help!

My scars look like normal pores, but they are tiny ice pick scars (or should I say pitted scars). My major concern is the redness.

Do you think retin a will help?

If so, what concentration should I use?

You are being very helpful!

Enjoy your day

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/06/2014 3:39 am

Michelle Reece, thank you so much by your help!

My scars look like normal pores, but they are tiny ice pick scars (or should I say pitted scars). My major concern is the redness.

Do you think retin a will help?

If so, what concentration should I use?

You are being very helpful!

Enjoy your day

You're welcome! :)

Retin-A will mostly help by keeping the gunk from settling in there. Retin-A can and does help increase collagen production and cell turnover, but the indented scars form because of the lack of collagen and elastin that the skin can't reform/rebuild normally. There needs to be a significant enough "injury" where it "has to". That's why the "harsher" treatments like chemical peels and lasers work.

So, expect a slight improvement with Retin-A.

Does this make sense? ;)

Higher concentrations are better, of course, but it also depends how it's formulated. The "older" formulations work, but Retin-A Micro and Atralin work better, as well as not causing as much irritation and dryness. Retin-A Micro and Atralin are most prescribed for acne itself, and not typically skin resurfacing/photoaging/scars.

Concentrations of 0.05% to 0.1% are the "best", but are often the most irritating. You'll very likely start at 0.020% to 0.025% and work your way up from there. You'll likely be prescribed just Retin-A, since it's the most commonly prescribed retinoid, but it depends on your insurance and what other problems you have.

The nice thing about Retin-A is that it's used for prepping for stronger treatments, like chemical peels.

If I were you, I'd get some of that redness checked out, just in case it's something else like rosacea. If you're pale-skinned, you're at higher risk for developing it.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/06/2014 9:50 am

I'm so happy! :D

I really don't know how to thank you!

You see, since I registered, I've been trying to help everyone as much as I can, but no one helps me. I'm so glad!

Oh, I said my pitted scars looked like "normal" pores, ugh? I was trying to say "big" pores, sorry.

I have a huge question for you!

The base of my scars is hard (if I pick, I feel a hard tissue underneath)

So, if it's hard, it has too much collagen right?

Then, if it has too much collagen, Retin A and other collagen inducing methods will make it worse?

I read somewhere that a hard base means the scar is deep. Is it true?

How should I remove that tissue?

I know I asked lots of questions but they have been killing me!

P.S. If there's anyway I could help you, say it! :D

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/06/2014 10:18 am

"I'm so glad" - I meant, "I'm so glad you're helping me" XD

Can Retin A be bought over the counter?

The redness I was talking about, is the discoloration of the scars. The regular scar tissue is lighter than the rest of the skin, but mine is actually darker. Will it fade?

Sorry for all this questions :(

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/06/2014 4:35 pm

I'm so happy!

I really don't know how to thank you!

You see, since I registered, I've been trying to help everyone as much as I can, but no one helps me. I'm so glad!

Oh, I said my pitted scars looked like "normal" pores, ugh? I was trying to say "big" pores, sorry.

I have a huge question for you!

The base of my scars is hard (if I pick, I feel a hard tissue underneath)

So, if it's hard, it has too much collagen right?

Then, if it has too much collagen, Retin A and other collagen inducing methods will make it worse?

I read somewhere that a hard base means the scar is deep. Is it true?

How should I remove that tissue?

I know I asked lots of questions but they have been killing me!

P.S. If there's anyway I could help you, say it!

Are some of your scars actually bumps, AKA hypertrophic? Like this? Or this? Maybe a little smaller?

Hypertrophic scarring occurs with a combination of an "overgrowth" of blood vessels (most often seen in pale skin) with excess collagen type 3. Hypertrophic scars (not keloids) generally have normal amounts of collagen type 1.

Retin-A (AKA tretinoin) increases collagen type 1 and 3 (Source here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17166106 ) but I really, really doubt that it would make a hypertrophic scar worse.

"I'm so glad" - I meant, "I'm so glad you're helping me" XD

Can Retin A be bought over the counter?

The redness I was talking about, is the discoloration of the scars. The regular scar tissue is lighter than the rest of the skin, but mine is actually darker. Will it fade?

Sorry for all this questions

Retin-A is available by prescription only in the USA. There's retinol and retinaldehyde available OTC, but you're best off with the prescription stuff.

Redness can fade to some extent. You can prevent more redness by diligently applying sunscreen and wearing UV protective clothing. It can take awhile for redness to fade--up to a year in some cases.

I like answering questions. I know a lot of these kinds of questions go unanswered here, so that's why I'm here! :)

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/07/2014 3:21 am

People like you are rare Michelle, congratulations, keep up the good work :D

Yes and no Michelle.

My main concern are the indents. The bumps I'm talking about is a hard tissue underneath the ice pick scars. If I prick/palp that skin I feel it's harder, less elastic than the surrounding skin.

Now that you are taking in bumps, I had a nasty break out during summer and I got 2 big pimples on my left cheek that almost connected "underground". That was so weird and freak. When the pimples were gone it left me a big red mark which eventually faded but on the surface left me 2 tiny "scabs". It won't go away but anyway they aren't very noticeable.

Please, I really need your help in those ice pick :(

The redness

I sincerely don't know. The scars are more than 1 year. In the sunlight, the are discolored, darker than the rest of the skin but under the white light lamps in my house, they appear red.

I'm just looking for a solution to take off the discoloration and if possible the "hard tissue" underneath.

Big thanks Michelle :)