Notifications
Clear all

Absorica (Accutane) Not Working ?

MemberMember
(@bruceg)

Posted : 02/04/2014 8:34 pm

Has anyone else taken Absorica and it didn't work?

I used to have severe acne (large cysts on face & neck), so I went on Accutane once before, but took the generic Amnesteem. It worked, maybe not as good as it should have but by the end of the treatment course my skin was clear.

About a year later, I started getting bumps again, not as bad as I had before but still a problem. After dealing with that for about 6 months, I went on a second course, but this time I'm taking the "fancy" new Absorica. I'm now almost done with the course, but I haven't noticed any change AT ALL. I'm still getting new bumps more than 4 months into the treatment, and I'm taking the appropriate dose for my weight, actually a tiny bit more. I've mentioned this to my dermatologist, and she listens but doesn't seem to do anything about it. I haven't even had any side effects! (well, some dry skin on my face, and some periods of mild depression, but I have that all the time so I don't think the accutane has much to do with it) Normally I'd think this is great, but instead it just confirms to me that the Absorica is doing nothing.

I guess I need to be more stern with my derm when I tell her my concerns. But is there anything I can do? I feel like this entire second course has been for nothing. And now the course is over, so there's nothing I can do about it. Has anyone else had disappointing results with Absorica?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@oilyacnequeen)

Posted : 02/05/2014 10:24 am

I have 10 days left of my Absorica treatment and it's my fifth month. I got very few pimples in my 4th month. It's my first accutane treatment though. My skin is 100% clear so it's worked well for me. My cumulative dose when I finish treatment will be about 165mg/kg. You said your dose is appropriate for your weight, but what will be your cumulative dose? That's what matters, at least for the first round of treatment.

I would suggest calling or making an appointment with your derm before your pills run out or within a week of them running out and ask and express your concerns about it not working well and your risk of another relapse.

Not sure if this will help, but I recently posted a rather new peer-reviewed scientific study that shows that high cumulative doses significantly reduces relapse rates. You can find the study link on my last post here:

MemberMember
(@bruceg)

Posted : 02/05/2014 7:30 pm

@OilyAcneQueen (idk how to quote on here)

Happy to hear it worked well for you. I feel like I'm taking a sugar pill haha

I can't remember what my cumulative dose is, but I don't remember it being quite as high as yours. It's 1?? something mg/kg but I can't remember exactly. My derm has said it's above the normal recommended dose, but she said the reason she did that is because of what you pointed out - the new studies showing a higher dose early on makes the treatment more effective. When I have mentioned that it doesn't seem to be working, she just tells me again that I'm already at a high dose, and doesn't want to push it higher. I wish I remembered what exactly the dose is :/

I remember the first time it took accutane, (taking a different med) it did take a while for full improvement, like 3 months, but nowhere near as long as this time. Like I said, I haven't even noticed a difference. Still getting new cysts on my last month. So yeah, I have another appointment so I guess I'll be very stern, to make sure she's clear on how I feel, and tell her that I don't think it did anything.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@oilyacnequeen)

Posted : 02/06/2014 2:56 pm

What was your daily Absorica prescription in mg? And how much do you weight (in pounds or kg)?

MemberMember
(@bruceg)

Posted : 02/06/2014 10:17 pm

Oh duh haha. It's about 150 mg/kg

MemberMember
(@ucfknight14)

Posted : 02/07/2014 2:54 pm

Hey there,

I am on my second course of accutane with amnesteem. My derm wanted me to go on Absorica but it was too expensive compared to Amnesteem. How many mg are you taking daily? My derm thinks the reason my acne came back is because during my first course, my derm only prescribed me 20mg once a day for five months and she also said it was also because of Claravis- the brand I was taking at the same time. But my new derm raved about absorica. But She said I was suppose to be on 60mg daily so I am on that now. I weigh the same when I took it three years ago as I do now. How long are you also on Absorica? Are you taking 150mg daily?

MemberMember
(@bruceg)

Posted : 02/09/2014 10:07 am

I'm taking 70mg daily. My derm raved about Absorica too. It's supposed to be the latest and greatest, like the new brand name now that Accutane isn't made anymore. I'm wondering if it's a bit overrated. Amnesteem seemed to work better for me.

MemberMember
(@oilyacnequeen)

Posted : 02/10/2014 2:20 pm

I have had a ton of side effects on Absorica, and my daily dose was approximately 1.33mg/kg, everybody is different, but it is possible that your body hasn't abosorbed as much of it due to your lack of side effects?

I'm asssuming based on your posts that your total amount of months on Absorica will be 5 months. Also assuming your daily dose of 70mg has been that dose throughout your entire treatment and you didn't start off with a lower daily dose, reaching 150mg/kg means that your approximate weight is about 70kg, or 154 pounds. Does this sounds correct?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/11/2014 9:09 pm

Not eating enough fat can decrease the absorption of isotretinoin and its derivatives.

"Based on the pharmacokinetic profile of oral isotretinoin, it is a realistic clinical concern that the likelihood of prolonged remission after use of oral isotretinoin is compromised if optimal GI absorption is not achieved because the drug was not co-ingested with food. The Guidance for Industry on Food-Effect Bioavailability and Fed Bioequivalence Studies document published by the FDA and Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) suggests that meal studies to evaluate bioavailability and bioequivalence utilize a high-fat (50% of total caloric intake) and high-calorie (8001000 calories) meal, with 150, 250, and 500 to 600 calories derived from protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively.36 As such, it is recommended that oral isotretinoin be ingested with food, especially a meal high in fat content.2,3 However, consistent daily ingestion of oral isotretinoin with a high-fat, high-calorie meal by all patients treated with this drug is not realistic. To add, as oral isotretinoin may be associated with elevated serum triglycerides in some patients, a reduction in dietary fat intake is often recommended."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509883/

Did she tell you how much fat to eat or anything about diet while taking Absorica?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 02/12/2014 3:12 pm

Im on my second course of Accutane and taking Absorica. It has worked for me just fine.

MemberMember
(@oadija)

Posted : 06/24/2014 3:01 pm

This is my 5th month of Absorica, I am at 40mg twice/day and I am one of those for whom the med doesn't seem to fully work. I have really bad join/body aches and a few breakout spots that will not go away or heal up properly. There is no way I can go up in dosage, my body pains are rather severe as it is. I am a bit bummed out, especially after trying to stick with it through all the side effects.

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 06/25/2014 7:48 am

Not eating enough fat can decrease the absorption of isotretinoin and its derivatives.

"Based on the pharmacokinetic profile of oral isotretinoin, it is a realistic clinical concern that the likelihood of prolonged remission after use of oral isotretinoin is compromised if optimal GI absorption is not achieved because the drug was not co-ingested with food. The Guidance for Industry on Food-Effect Bioavailability and Fed Bioequivalence Studies document published by the FDA and Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) suggests that meal studies to evaluate bioavailability and bioequivalence utilize a high-fat (50% of total caloric intake) and high-calorie (8001000 calories) meal, with 150, 250, and 500 to 600 calories derived from protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively.36 As such, it is recommended that oral isotretinoin be ingested with food, especially a meal high in fat content.2,3 However, consistent daily ingestion of oral isotretinoin with a high-fat, high-calorie meal by all patients treated with this drug is not realistic. To add, as oral isotretinoin may be associated with elevated serum triglycerides in some patients, a reduction in dietary fat intake is often recommended."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509883/

Did she tell you how much fat to eat or anything about diet while taking Absorica?

You don't need to eat extra fat with Absorica...that is the whole point of why they made this newer brand.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 06/25/2014 10:48 pm

Actually, studies show that Absorica is absorbed 80% better than a generic when taken FASTING. HOWEVER, it is still absorbed BETTER with food and fat. So it is false to claim that you do not need to take Absorica with fat. You can do this, and it will work better than taking a generic with no fat, but it will still not be as effective as taking Absorica and trying to take it with a meal or something a bit fatty.

Just sayin'