Notifications
Clear all

Fruits That Cause Acne

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 01/30/2014 10:16 am

Recently, I started breaking out. I kept trying to figure out why since I eat mostly healthy things. I eat lots of fruits and vegetable. I did have a breakout from eating too much dairy one week, but I stopped soon after. I began to make green smoothies every morning, Monday-Friday. I even started the ACP as a toner and I took it orally. My skin was clearing out, but then I seemed to go through a "purge". I began to think it had to do with my gut, so I started researching about it. I came across articles that said that strawberries were bad for digestion, and too much fruit can cause acne on acne prone skin. I have been putting strawberries, bananas, etc. every morning in my green smoothies. Starting tomorrow I will cut down on the fruit. I will only apply vegetables in my smoothies, and just eat an apple or two a day like I used to. I used to eat at least two apples a day as fruit, and drank lots of water, as well as a healthy diet and my skin was very clear. I hope I can figure out if too much fruit is what is causing my current breakouts! Wish me luck! :)

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/30/2014 6:27 pm

Oranges do it for me. They cause body acne where there was non previously.

MemberMember
(@marthaqueenbee)

Posted : 01/30/2014 6:49 pm

I find this very strange. I've never experienced any fruit-induced breakouts but everyone's body is different :/ Maybe it has to do with the sugar? Do you also breakout when indulging in a sugary dessert?

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/30/2014 9:24 pm

Moved to diet & holistic health forum.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 01/31/2014 2:51 am

Recently, I started breaking out. I kept trying to figure out why since I eat mostly healthy things. I eat lots of fruits and vegetable. I did have a breakout from eating too much dairy one week, but I stopped soon after. I began to make green smoothies every morning, Monday-Friday. I even started the ACP as a toner and I took it orally. My skin was clearing out, but then I seemed to go through a "purge". I began to think it had to do with my gut, so I started researching about it. I came across articles that said that strawberries were bad for digestion, and too much fruit can cause acne on acne prone skin. I have been putting strawberries, bananas, etc. every morning in my green smoothies. Starting tomorrow I will cut down on the fruit. I will only apply vegetables in my smoothies, and just eat an apple or two a day like I used to. I used to eat at least two apples a day as fruit, and drank lots of water, as well as a healthy diet and my skin was very clear. I hope I can figure out if too much fruit is what is causing my current breakouts! Wish me luck! smile.png

I think it would be best to slow down a little. It seems you're trying to "fix" it all too quickly. First too much dairy, then an ACV purge which caused you to look into digestion, which then caused you to look into possibly eating too much fruit. So now you've got yourself thinking you're eating too much fruit and too much dairy. I mean, yes, everything should be eaten in moderation, but don't drive yourself up the wall, especially if you don't know if you are or aren't allergic to something. Ease up on yourself. It'll help you in the long run to get to the root of the problem. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 01/31/2014 11:19 am

Thanks for the feedback! I think I over did it on the amount of fruits I ate. I would get home and make a fruit salad. I love fruit and started to get so used to it. I started to think that the more I ate it was okay because its healthy. But having acne prone skin I think I took too much sugar altogether. I will update if my skin gets better from lowering the intake of fruit. I actually don't even like sweets like cake, cupcakes, muffins, etc., only cookies, but its rare when I do eat any. I don't drink soda either. All I drink is water, so that is why I was so shocked when I started breaking out and I could not figure out why.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 01/31/2014 8:58 pm

Fruit, especially citrus fruits can cause an inflammed reaction in some people. Those with rosacea, which can manifest like acne, usually can not eat citrus fruits. Also most fruits are considered high fructose and can cause reaction in those sensitive to sugars. You may want to choose berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc.) and bananas for awhile and see if that helps. Both berries and bananas are usually well tolerated in people sensitive to sugars. Strawberries can be a problem for some. Since you weren't breaking out before this may just be a period of breaking out after over indulging in fruits like you say. Keep a journal for awhile to see any connections.

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 02/01/2014 1:03 am

Good idea! I'll start writing throughout t the process and see if it can find a more specific solution or explanation.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/01/2014 2:18 pm

If you want to eat some fruit, have them on an empty stomach...it's better to have fruit early in the morning before eating anything else. Much easier on the digestion. Also, avoid drinking water with meals. Have water in between meals instead.

ACV never helped me internally....you may want to look into digestive enzymes until you figure out your food intolerances.

MemberMember
(@marie4u)

Posted : 02/05/2014 8:49 am

orange is the best fruit in the world. healthy for skin

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/05/2014 11:54 am

Oranges and other citrus fruits are great foods for many people but some people get skin flare-ups from them. People with rosacea, especially the acne form, list citrus fruits as major triggers for flare-ups. A clinician once told me that people with acne often cite citrus fruits as causing breakouts of especially whiteheads. So if you are getting lots of whiteheads it may help to avoid citrus fruits to see if there is any connection. For me personally, citrus fruits do cause whiteheads on my nose and cheek area which is where my rosacea flares up. Everyone is different. It takes some sluething to figure out what your personal triggers are. And if an adult continues to get acne over time then there is a possibility that they have a bit of rosacea happening too which adds to the inflammation. So avoiding common rosacea triggers can help --- such as alcohol, citrus fruits, vinegars, spicy foods, thermally hot foods...there are others that can be read about on the web.

Another food that is wonderful for many people but often not so good for acne sufferers is nuts. Most adults have dry skin and nuts provide good fats that help ease dryness but for acne sufferers the added fat is not so good and can lead to clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/05/2014 11:55 am

^Unless you are intolerant to them and they cause you to break out in giant, very inflamed & slow to heal cysts & nodules.

MemberMember
(@apple-blossom)

Posted : 02/05/2014 12:07 pm

I used to have mild-moderate cystic and nodular acne, which has been pretty well under control for the past two years. I attributed this solely to being on Diane 35 because I had never been able to make a connection between food and my acne.

So as a new year's resolution, I decided I had to be healthier, so I started making green smoothies with kale, spinach, carrots, and sometimes fruit. Well, I wasn't really liking them too much.... they kind of looked and tasted like a swamp. Gradually, I started adding more fruit and fewer vegetables until I was putting in tons of fruit and next to no veggies! So for much of January, I was drinking smoothies with bananas, strawberries, oranges or orange juice, yogourt and a handful of spinach. I loved them. However, a couple weeks into this routine and I got two small nodules on my forehead..... hmmm weird, I hadn't had any of those in two years.... but I didn't think too much of it. Then, four days ago, I developed a MASSIVE nodule on my chin. It was only then that I realized the smoothies I was making were probably WAY too sweet, which of course is why they were so delicious. Needless to say, I haven't had a smoothie since the end of last week.... sadly this monstrous lump is still taking over my chin...

I'm not 100% sure the smoothies caused this break out, but I haven't really done anything else differently this past month. All the fruit I was putting in the smoothies are foods I've eaten lots of in the past, though, so I'm not really sure what to make of it....

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/06/2014 11:16 am

Smoothies usually have way more fruit than you would normally eat in one sitting. Some advocate that for better health but acne sufferers generally flare-up due to insulin spikes and certainly eating a ton of fruit in one sitting would do that. Do you normally eat yogurt? Dairy is a huge trigger for many acne sufferers and eventhough yogurt is good for the gut it naturally has hormones that can trigger a flare, especially of the more cystic kind.

I drink smoothies but only use ingredients I find more calming for skin and only use amounts I would normally eat in one sitting. My current favorite smoothie is half a banana, handful of spinach or one big leaf of chard, quarter to half a frozen peach (I pick each summer) or some blueberries, half teaspoon of chia seeds (great omega 3), and some regular soy milk. As you can see there is no dairy and the amounts are moderate. Berries and bananas and stone fruits in moderation are better for people sensitive to sugars...and acne sufferers are usually sensitive.

MemberMember
(@apple-blossom)

Posted : 02/07/2014 2:20 pm

cvd, that's a great point. Before my smoothie phase, I certainly was never inhaling 3-4 servings of fruit in 2 minutes. Seriously, I was drinking those things FAST! I kept telling my boyfriend how awesome they made me feel, when it was probably just a sugar rush. That was silly. I have always eaten yogourt so I don't think that was the problem here, though I should probably cut out dairy at some point as a test.

MemberMember
(@insanitykitten)

Posted : 02/09/2014 1:00 am

I hate fruit lol.

MemberMember
(@faithbox)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:23 am

LMAO Woke up this morning...looks like I am gonna have to remove apples from my diet. LOLLL. At least I learned.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 02/12/2014 12:16 am

-Edited by moderator.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/12/2014 12:34 pm

Apples may be okay for some acne sufferers but for others they may be too high in fruit sugars and cause a reaction. It takes experimenting to figure this out. If apples and other high sugar fruits cause reactions it may mean your body is sensitive to fructose and so it helps to eat lower fructose foods...not entirely avoid them but just eat fruits that have less sugars such as berries. Citrus fruits cause reactions in some acne sufferers who may have underlying rosacea issues. Sometimes rosacea manifests as just inflammed pimples and not the usual whole face flushing. Then it helps to avoid the usual rosacea triggers (read online).

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 02/12/2014 1:46 pm

too high in sugar, lmfao.

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 02/16/2014 10:24 pm

I've seen a difference since cutting down on the fruits on my green smoothies and thought the day. I also started using a clean and clear product that helped with small bumps that have a rough texture and are noticeable in certain lighting. That has gone away so my face feels smooth. But I still have like 4 or 5 pimples. I hope I can find a solution for those soon. I smack on greens a lot now throughout the day. Kale especially. And it's so low in calories. Not that I have ever watched my weight but it's a plus.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:46 pm

Try also avoiding oils and foods made with oils. Avoid adding oil to foods such as in salad dressing, margarine, butter, oil with cooking, etc. This automatically means avoiding fast foods because they are cooked in oils and most restaurant foods since they are smothered in oils. The only exception is using a tiny amount of EVOO when needed for cooking...a teaspoon or less for the whole meal. Instead strive for steamed foods, fresh foods, etc. See if that makes a difference in the remaining pimples. It did for me. Avoiding oils was the final thing I did in my diet change and it was the thing I think made the most difference. Almost immediately my skin was really improved.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:55 pm

I can eat lots of fruits but only in conjunction with a lot more vegetables. Maybe you've got too high of a fruit to vegetable ratio? I also just avoid bananas since it's easy for me to overdo them. And oranges also make me break out. I eat berries and green apples mostly. I'm a huge blueberry fan. I like to eat them frozen... yummmmm

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 02/20/2014 1:32 pm

Try also avoiding oils and foods made with oils. Avoid adding oil to foods such as in salad dressing, margarine, butter, oil with cooking, etc. This automatically means avoiding fast foods because they are cooked in oils and most restaurant foods since they are smothered in oils. The only exception is using a tiny amount of EVOO when needed for cooking...a teaspoon or less for the whole meal. Instead strive for steamed foods, fresh foods, etc. See if that makes a difference in the remaining pimples. It did for me. Avoiding oils was the final thing I did in my diet change and it was the thing I think made the most difference. Almost immediately my skin was really improved.

I still have not cut down on bread, so I will start that and also oils. How long before you noticed a difference after cutting out oils from your diet? And any vitamins/supplements that you could recommend?

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 02/21/2014 11:10 am

I noticed a difference after cutting out oils in about a week or so...a dramatic difference in two weeks and my skin really improved after a month of no oils and the residual clogged pores had cleared out. I also use meds (see below) but they never got me completely clear, even after years and years of use. Same with diet changes until I avoided the oils. I get monthly microdermabrasions that help unclog pores but like the meds, they never got me completely clear...however I think that after stopping oils the microdermabrasions work even better --- and the clinicians who do them agree.

Avoiding oils means avoiding all foods that have added oils in them...like foods fried in oil, etc. Foods that naturally have oils such as avocados are good to eat since the body knows how to use those oils without becoming inflammed. It is the processed oils that are a problem...the body was not designed to use those oils very well and people prone to inflammation especially.

The key thing I notice is that avoiding oils changes the quality of the sebum...makes it less sticky and less of it --- so less clogging and less inflammation.

I avoid bread not because I am gluten sensitive but there is something else in bread that seems to inflame my skin. I can eat pasta once a week or a burrito no problem so all I can think is that the yeast used in bread is an issue. Also bread is usually made with oils and sugars which both are problems for me. Whole wheat bread is the very worst for me...same with whole wheat pasta...but white pasta or burrito shells are okay. Go figure...whole wheat is supposed to be so wonderful but not for me! I've looked into gluten-free breads but they are loaded with sugars and oils and so don't work. And gluten-free burrito shells are awful. I do eat brown rice pasta and actually like it but it is made with straight forward brown rice flour...no sugars or oils.

I take Opti-L Zinc, Citrical + D, an organic multi, and Multi-Flora Probiotic. This probiotic is very expensive but it has really made a difference in improving my digestion. I also eat tons of vegies, berries and tubers (potatoes, yams), and small amounts of free-range eggs and fowl, and wild fish. My diet somewhat mimics those of cultures that don't get acne and is what is called "nutrient dense".