Notifications
Clear all

Coupons/tips For Getting Discounts On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@mtngal)

Posted : 01/28/2014 12:47 am

I have to pick up my accutane (or some other sort of isotretinoin) in two days for Ipledge, and I found out it's going to cost $1500/mo at my pharmacy. I definitely can't afford that but I am also losing work because of my acne. I live in a pretty remote place so I don't have the option of going to a CostCo or something of the sort... my options are City Market and Wal-Mart.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get this drug more cheaply? Online coupons, discount cards, etc? My insurance doesn't cover it and getting on a different plan isn't an option- I've already looked into it. And yes I'm 31 and have tried every other treatment available... and this will be round 3 of accutane. I'm a little hesitant to pay nearly $10k (when you add up 5 months of accutane plus doctor's visits plus lab work) for a drug that wasn't a "cure" the first two times around. But I'm not sure what other options I have.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/28/2014 4:08 pm

I did a quick google search for "claravis cost" (one of the generic isotretinoin brands) and there are legitimate discount coupons (GoodRx for example) available that bring its price down to about $215.00 for 30 40mg pills at walmart. Still expensive, but better than $1500 for sure!

mtngal liked
MemberMember
(@mtngal)

Posted : 01/28/2014 9:47 pm

I checked Walmart- Claravis there is just over $700 for a 30 day supply (I need 60 mg/day). Even with the coupons. :( Bummer. My Ipledge deadline ends tomorrow so I guess it's back to the non-working options for me. Ugh.

Hmm, I found the coupon you were talking about. I would need 45 pills of 40 mg for a 30 day supply, that says it should be $320. That would be amazing. I wonder if my local Walmart pharmacy doesn't take the coupons or something? I was quoted $700.

Also Megtree- I see you are 54 kg and are only taking 40 mg daily? How long are you supposed to be on it? I am 52 kg and they want me on 60 mg daily. I wonder if that is because I've done Claravis 2x before and my acne has returned within a year both times.

MemberMember
(@ucfknight14)

Posted : 01/30/2014 4:43 am

I am on my second accutane course. My derm told me not to go on claravis. I was on it my first time and she said I was prescribed to low of a dosage during my first course. I weigh the same as I did during my first round. She told me that I should have been prescribed a higher dosage of 60mg which I was on 20 mg before. She also said that she sees more patients for a second course from taking claravis. She said it does not absorb as much compared to amnesteem or absorica but absorica is to expensive, even with my insurance but she said amnesteem works well, just not as good as absorica. Absorica just came out last year but apparently 70% of the medication is absored more compared to the other generic brands that absorb less. As for cost, you can't cancel your current insurance and get a new plan with someone else? They can't work something out? I know it sucks. Accutane is so expensive. I wish you the best!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/31/2014 4:54 pm

I checked Walmart- Claravis there is just over $700 for a 30 day supply (I need 60 mg/day). Even with the coupons. sad.png Bummer. My Ipledge deadline ends tomorrow so I guess it's back to the non-working options for me. Ugh.

Hmm, I found the coupon you were talking about. I would need 45 pills of 40 mg for a 30 day supply, that says it should be $320. That would be amazing. I wonder if my local Walmart pharmacy doesn't take the coupons or something? I was quoted $700.

Also Megtree- I see you are 54 kg and are only taking 40 mg daily? How long are you supposed to be on it? I am 52 kg and they want me on 60 mg daily. I wonder if that is because I've done Claravis 2x before and my acne has returned within a year both times.

My doctor planned on upping me to 60 mg the second month, but unfortunately I had a bad flare-up. He suggested I stick to 40 mg for another month, and he'll up it to 60mg for this next upcoming appointment. I'll be on the isotretinoin for longer, but I appreciate his conservative approach.

In terms of absorica, it's only better absorbed than other brands of iso on an empty stomach. Take a generic on a full stomach, and you'll be fine.

Is there another pharmacy, perhaps in a neighboring city you could try? It would suck to have to make a trek each month for you prescription, but it might be worth it..

Also, it looks like amnesteem is about the same cost as claravis, if you just don't trust that particular generic.

MemberMember
(@mtngal)

Posted : 02/03/2014 10:51 pm

Well, I had to give up on accutane for now. I couldn't find any coupons or any pharmacies within 4 hours driving distance of me where I could get any sort of isotretinoin for under $700/month, and I simply cannot afford that. :(

So most of my hope is gone... doc has started me on spiro again, 100 mg this time instead of 50, and I'm already having bad side affects. I've been on it for a week and today felt completely drunk at work. Dizzy, woozy, felt like my head was floating in a cloud, peeing every ten minutes, massive headache. I've got a topical retinoid in combination and my skin is now both oily and cracking and bleeding everywhere, especially when I try to put on makeup which I definitely can't go to work without. Got plenty of new acne too. Fun stuff.

Since spiro isn't a "cure," I'm wondering if it's even worth it. At least accutane really did clear me for some time and I was able to go nearly a year between courses without having to stuff my body with crap that makes my face feel like it's burning off. Since I'll have to be on spiro and retinoids forever, not sure that it's worth it to have all of these side effects for the rest of my life.