Notifications
Clear all

Are Grapes Good Or Bad For Acne?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/27/2014 9:49 pm

Can someone here tell me their experience on grapes? Besides blueberries and blackberries, grapes are my favorite other fruit. I could not stop eating it.

I love the green grapes a lot even more than the red grapes. However, i didn't buy any more b/c i read a few threads where ppl said grapes are acidic and cause acne... but i did read a few ppl that said grapes helped clear their skin.

Can someone give me their opinion if grapes are good for you or not? I could eat 1 whole pound a day easily, could do it in one sitting b/c i love green grapes. I did read that grapes doesn't have that much citric acid which is a cause of acne though so im not sure.

Would really want your opinion on this based on your experiences. I ate a lot of grapes earlier and quickly stopped after reading ppl say its bad for you.

Also, tell me your experience on green grapes vs red grapes vs crimson grapes. I don't like the taste of crimson grapes, green are my favorite and then red grapes. I read that the darker the grape the better it is... but is it really better for acne than green? I always thought green was better and green grapes to me taste much better than red grapes.

Im curious if anyone here keeps eating lot of grapes and whether it has good or bad effect or no effect on their acne.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/27/2014 11:30 pm

Grapes are fine as long as you don't gorge on them and spike your blood sugar. It's best therefore to eat them with some fat or protein - plain full fat greek yogurt might be nice. But they really aren't very antigenic at all, and they don't have much of anything to feed potentially bad bacteria in your gut, so I would say they're actually one of the safest fruits.

Green grapes are basically rep grapes minus some nutrients. Yes, they may taste better, but they don't have as much nutrition, and they often have more sugar. I would really go with the red ones.

All that being said, I don't think grapes would have any effect at all on acne, good or bad - unless you eat a pound of them, so don't do that (the reason being that the sugar spikes your blood sugar, so as with everything, consume in moderation). Oh, and grapes being acidic? I don't think that matters much.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/28/2014 1:10 am

Thanks for that information. Can someone here who eaten grapes give me their opinion? Or stuff such as you stopped eating grapes and then what happened?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:12 am

Ok. Here you go. I eat grapes. My experience is that I can eat grapes.

What do you mean by 'a lot of grapes?' If you mean a lot of grapes at once, then you are consuming a high glycemic load snack and that is not good for acne or health. A few with a meal with fiber and fat is fine, even if you do it each and every meal, each and every day of your life. unless, of course, you intolerant to them or have a fructose malabsorption issue in which case you'd have an issue with other fruit.

Red have more 'red' antioxidants such as resveraterol which is beneficial for acne. I think you are imagining things when you say 'green' tastes better than 'red.' Different varieties, red and green, have slightly different flavors. Super tart thick skinned muscadines taste the best in my opinion. And there are red & green varieties. With their thick skins, they have the most resveraterol.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:44 am

i think grapes contain AHA, they are recommended for acne, in some health books. i ate a lot during a 1-2 months, ate none after, didn't noticed much.

oh i don't like the "we are what we eat" saying, i would change it just to "we sh!t what we eat" lol

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/28/2014 1:24 pm

By a lot of grapes, im eating like 100+ each time. I don't think i ever ate food and then just had a few grapes with me such as in your example.

I would buy a few pounds of grapes then eat 1 lb in one sitting each time.

The thing is i know lot of ppl say oranges which has citric acid causes acne for them and i read grape has citric acid as well which is why im worried about it. Lot of ppl i read say oranges causes acne for them so i wanted to know if grapes are similar. Because if it has no effect or does help acne, i would keep eating it but i didn't buy anymore b/c i was bit worried about grapes.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/28/2014 3:31 pm

I had some test positive for a immune response to grapes and some tested negative. I cook only with Grape seed oil and with zero impact. I tested negative for grapes however.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/28/2014 7:45 pm

By a lot of grapes, im eating like 100+ each time. I don't think i ever ate food and then just had a few grapes with me such as in your example.

I would buy a few pounds of grapes then eat 1 lb in one sitting each time.

The thing is i know lot of ppl say oranges which has citric acid causes acne for them and i read grape has citric acid as well which is why im worried about it. Lot of ppl i read say oranges causes acne for them so i wanted to know if grapes are similar. Because if it has no effect or does help acne, i would keep eating it but i didn't buy anymore b/c i was bit worried about grapes.

It's not the citric acid in oranges that causes the reaction. And the way you eat grapes would be bad. Stop it. Especially if you are sitting around while doing it. If you are up and moving around and burning the glucose stores in your cells so they can take in more, then it might be ok. Especially if you have a lot of lean muscle. Don't think that helps with the fructose though.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:07 pm

So if i eat that much, that would make my acne worst you say? How many grapes should one eat per sitting? What abuot per day? I like to eat grapes after i had dinner or whenever i want to eat a snake... im usually eating at least 50 grapes minimum. I would say its more like 100 at least.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:30 pm

I thought I ate a lot of grapes but 100 really is a lot! I eat around 20 per day and this is the best my skin has ever been, so I think they're fine in moderation if you don't have an intolerance to them.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/28/2014 11:15 pm

How can you eat only 20 grapes? I think 100 is the minimum i eat and that number is probably on the lower amount.

Do you eat red or green grapes? Would like others to chime in as well because grapes is one of those fruits i like a lot.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/29/2014 12:39 pm

Because anything more than 20 would be excess. 20 is usually 1 or 2 handfuls, and I think that is a good amount. 100 grapes is like, the whole bushel, and that would be expensive for me to eat that in one sitting. Oh, and I always eat red grapes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/29/2014 1:21 pm

So if i eat that much, that would make my acne worst you say? How many grapes should one eat per sitting? What abuot per day? I like to eat grapes after i had dinner or whenever i want to eat a snake... im usually eating at least 50 grapes minimum. I would say its more like 100 at least.

It is pointless to keep talking about grapes when what you apparently need to grasp some basic concepts about nutrition & health. High glycemic impacting diet habits are bad for acne and health. Grapes are a high sugar fruit, therefore a lot of grapes have a high glycemic load, especially when not eating with a meal that consists of fat & fiber that lower the glycemic impact. The same is true of other high sugar fruits or foods with a high glycemic impact like things made with flour, especially wheat flour.