Notifications
Clear all

Waited So Long For Accutane Appt My Skin Is In "good Phase"...?!

MemberMember
(@lulu4141)

Posted : 01/27/2014 1:28 pm

Hi, I hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere, I did have a good look but couldn't find anywhere.

I've had severe bouts of acne since I was 10, full-face covering painful cystic acne and whiteheads, so much it hurts to talk. Then they all disappear about 7 months later, very quickly leaving me with very scarred skin but no actual active acne. It usually returns in around 3 months.

This has gone on for nearly 11 years now, without fail and without any improvement seen from various forms of hormonal birth control, prescribed creams, antibiotics etc.

I was finally referred on the NHS for accutane on 2nd October (when I was in my "bad" stage) but due to unknown reasons had my December appt cancelled. My new one is coming up in the next few weeks but I'm now in my "good" phase.

There is not a single active patch on my face and knowing my skin, there won't be for another 2 months.

I'm now absolutely terrified the derm won't prescribe me accutane as there's nothing active on my face! I've got very obvious scarring built up from years of this cycle and my GPs referral emphasised just how much acne I had in October, but has anyone had this problem before?

I've waited years for the opportunity and unfortunately going private really isn't an option for me.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 01/28/2014 12:39 pm

I managed to get Roaccutane on the NHS last year, it was the best decision I've ever made.

I remember my skin was in a relatively good phase too when I eventually got my derm appointment, although I emphasized to the derm that this often happens with the cycle of my periods, maybe say the same thing?

Do you have any photos of your skin when it was in its bad phase? If so, definitely show the derm them.

If not, don't lose hope. If you've been suffering with acne for a number of years, and have tried many other options, especially if the acne is scarring then they'll still see you as a good candidate for accutane.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions about my course (I think my before and after photos are on page 4 of my log if you'd like to see them) :)

MemberMember
(@enelson96)

Posted : 01/28/2014 10:55 pm

I was just recently worrying about the same thing when I went to get prescribed Accutane. I had seen the derm 5 weeks earlier when my acne and scarring was much worse and she told me right away I could go on Accutane. But 5 weeks later, after using some topicals she has prescribed me during the interim while I waited for accutane, my skin was looking pretty great. I only had a few small bumps on my forehead.

But all my worrying was for naught! She just looked at me and since we had already decided that I wanted accutane, she prescribed it for me.

If you are really worrying, and your derms says your skin looks "too good" to go on accutane, just explain to her the importance of going on the drug. Tell her your acne comes back, you are depressed because of your acne, you've tried everything for acne and nothing has worked, etc...

I am sure she will still prescribe it for you.

MemberMember
(@lulu4141)

Posted : 01/30/2014 8:54 am

I was just recently worrying about the same thing when I went to get prescribed Accutane. I had seen the derm 5 weeks earlier when my acne and scarring was much worse and she told me right away I could go on Accutane. But 5 weeks later, after using some topicals she has prescribed me during the interim while I waited for accutane, my skin was looking pretty great. I only had a few small bumps on my forehead.

But all my worrying was for naught! She just looked at me and since we had already decided that I wanted accutane, she prescribed it for me.

If you are really worrying, and your derms says your skin looks "too good" to go on accutane, just explain to her the importance of going on the drug. Tell her your acne comes back, you are depressed because of your acne, you've tried everything for acne and nothing has worked, etc...

I am sure she will still prescribe it for you.

Thanks very much for replying. I'm glad you got on Accutane!

I managed to get Roaccutane on the NHS last year, it was the best decision I've ever made.

I remember my skin was in a relatively good phase too when I eventually got my derm appointment, although I emphasized to the derm that this often happens with the cycle of my periods, maybe say the same thing?

Do you have any photos of your skin when it was in its bad phase? If so, definitely show the derm them.

If not, don't lose hope. If you've been suffering with acne for a number of years, and have tried many other options, especially if the acne is scarring then they'll still see you as a good candidate for accutane.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions about my course (I think my before and after photos are on page 4 of my log if you'd like to see them) smile.png

That's good to hear, thank you. I've got pictures going back years so I'll make sure to bring them with me!

MemberMember
(@kntrgrl)

Posted : 02/01/2014 3:27 pm

I literally just went through the same thing yesterday! I have waited since October and finally got my appointment yesterday and I was terrified, as you were because my skin is ok right now. She didn't even bat an eye, just wrote my prescription and said she'd see me in a month. I practically skipped out of her office!

I'm sure it will be fine :)