Notifications
Clear all

Why Me? Why Us?

MemberMember
(@prescriptionqueen)

Posted : 01/27/2014 11:37 am

Feeling really hopeless when it comes to my acne. I have had bad acne since I was ~14 and I am now 47, yes that's right, 47. It has been non-stop. Last week I had my second cyst that became inflamed, hot and red. My neck started swelling and hurt. So Friday on the way home from work I stopped to see my doctor because it just didn't seem right. He immediately sent me to the pharmacy for Bactrim antibiotic and a steroid to take immediately as I have cellulitis. In two hours time, my swelling had progressed from the right side of my face across to my mouth, front of my chin, and neck and ear. Doctor told me to go to the ER in case I needed IV antibiotics. They took a sample from my cyst and stabbed me in the butt with a fast acting antibiotic. Today I go to the dermatologist to have the cyst drained properly. Apparently bacterial meningitis was a real concern.

My OB/GYN put me on Spironolactone 100mg daily in early December. My skin seems less oily and I was feeling a little hopeful, but now I don't know. Maybe there is no hope for me. eusa_think.gif

I have been battling recurrent major depression and anxiety on top of it, or in addition to it, all for just as long. I find it interesting that now there is some concern about bullying. I suffered throughout all my teenage years horribly in silence. People can be so cruel and judgmental.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/27/2014 3:24 pm

Feeling really hopeless when it comes to my acne. I have had bad acne since I was ~14 and I am now 47, yes that's right, 47. It has been non-stop. Last week I had my second cyst that became inflamed, hot and red. My neck started swelling and hurt. So Friday on the way home from work I stopped to see my doctor because it just didn't seem right. He immediately sent me to the pharmacy for Bactrim antibiotic and a steroid to take immediately as I have cellulitis. In two hours time, my swelling had progressed from the right side of my face across to my mouth, front of my chin, and neck and ear. Doctor told me to go to the ER in case I needed IV antibiotics. They took a sample from my cyst and stabbed me in the butt with a fast acting antibiotic. Today I go to the dermatologist to have the cyst drained properly. Apparently bacterial meningitis was a real concern.

My OB/GYN put me on Spironolactone 100mg daily in early December. My skin seems less oily and I was feeling a little hopeful, but now I don't know. Maybe there is no hope for me. eusa_think.gif

I have been battling recurrent major depression and anxiety on top of it, or in addition to it, all for just as long. I find it interesting that now there is some concern about bullying. I suffered throughout all my teenage years horribly in silence. People can be so cruel and judgmental.

Don't give up! You just haven't seen the right doc.

Have you had your hormone levels checked? There are a bunch and testing should occur on the 21 st day of your menstrual cycle.

MemberMember
(@hunniebun)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:49 pm

prescription queen - I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I understand the 'why me' type of feeling, especially when you look around at other women your age and they are stressed out about tiny little crows feet or wrinkles! What I wouldn't give for that to be my only worry about my face!!! I am 37 and acne has been an on and off battle for me for a long time as well. Some months it is easier to accept and focus on other things, and other months/days especially during a really bad breakout when you feel hopeless. At it's worst I remember telling my husband that I wished for a burn or some other face scar so at least I would know that people weren't focused on my ance. Isn't that horrible...but that is what depression does, makes you feel hopeless and less than. But nothing can be further from the truth. I am sorry about the hugely infected cyst you have right now. I had something like that once (while pregnant) so there was nothing I could do but wait. My entire right side of my jaw was infected all the way down my neck and it hurt to move. It drained for days and I thought I would never leave the house again. But with time it healed and there isn't even a scar there (which I thought for sure there would be). Try to remind yourself that this too shall pass. I also used to put ice packs on it...not sure it did anything, but it just felt good. Please keep hounding your dr. to try alternative solutions. You said you are on spiro, is this your first time trying it? I have read that it take 3-6 months to really show improvement, so please hang in there. I am sending a virtual hug to you.

MemberMember
(@nuckingfuts)

Posted : 02/25/2014 6:01 am

hi, while i'm a guy......i've also suffered from cystic acne for 25 years.........i'm almost 40 now and have tried lots of stuff without long term success.......but recently, i've been taking 12 drops of 2% Lugol's iodine + 200mcg selenium +sea salt in distilled water everyday and things are very different this time round.......i dare say my acne has improved 90-95% even when i eat more wheat and sugar (you must avoid them) !

the iodine also helps to repair the skin.......get some sun too as it helps a lot with the acne and repair..........i also take MSM powder in organic apple Cider vinegar with water to help with the scars.........i also take probiotics (acidophillus) and 30mg L-optic zinc and vitamin D3 (not needed with enough sun)

i use a 12% glycolic cleanser and let it sit for 15mins then wash off, dry the skin and apply a thin layer of sulphur cream and let it sit for 15mins before washing off.............you can use ice on the cysts and put aloe vera gel to relax the skin and bring swelling down......

the main thing is the Lugol's iodine + selenium

prescription queen - I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I understand the 'why me' type of feeling, especially when you look around at other women your age and they are stressed out about tiny little crows feet or wrinkles! What I wouldn't give for that to be my only worry about my face!!! I am 37 and acne has been an on and off battle for me for a long time as well. Some months it is easier to accept and focus on other things, and other months/days especially during a really bad breakout when you feel hopeless. At it's worst I remember telling my husband that I wished for a burn or some other face scar so at least I would know that people weren't focused on my ance. Isn't that horrible...but that is what depression does, makes you feel hopeless and less than. But nothing can be further from the truth. I am sorry about the hugely infected cyst you have right now. I had something like that once (while pregnant) so there was nothing I could do but wait. My entire right side of my jaw was infected all the way down my neck and it hurt to move. It drained for days and I thought I would never leave the house again. But with time it healed and there isn't even a scar there (which I thought for sure there would be). Try to remind yourself that this too shall pass. I also used to put ice packs on it...not sure it did anything, but it just felt good. Please keep hounding your dr. to try alternative solutions. You said you are on spiro, is this your first time trying it? I have read that it take 3-6 months to really show improvement, so please hang in there. I am sending a virtual hug to you.

hi, while i'm a guy......i've also suffered from cystic acne for 25 years.........i'm almost 40 now and have tried lots of stuff without long term success.......but recently, i've been taking 12 drops of 2% Lugol's iodine + 200mcg selenium +sea salt in distilled water everyday and things are very different this time round.......i dare say my acne has improved 90-95% even when i eat more wheat and sugar (you must avoid them) !

the iodine also helps to repair the skin.......get some sun too as it helps a lot with the acne and repair..........i also take MSM powder in organic apple Cider vinegar with water to help with the scars.........i also take probiotics (acidophillus) and 30mg L-optic zinc and vitamin D3 (not needed with enough sun)

i use a 12% glycolic cleanser and let it sit for 15mins then wash off, dry the skin and apply a thin layer of sulphur cream and let it sit for 15mins before washing off.............you can use ice on the cysts and put aloe vera gel to relax the skin and bring swelling down......

the main thing is the Lugol's iodine + selenium

MemberMember
(@prescriptionqueen)

Posted : 02/25/2014 8:30 pm

Update: It has been almost two months since I started using the Spironolactone and Zinc Picolonate. I am seeing real improvement finally! The right side of my face has no acne right now; this is a first in 30 years. I only have two spots on the left side of my face which are getting better. After all these years going to a dermatologist, it was by OB/GYN who has made the difference. I wash with CeraVe facial cleanser and use CeraVe PM moisturizer; I love this stuff. I do use the Tazorac that my dermatologist prescribed which greatly helps reduce scarring and reduce brown spots, etc.

For anyone hesitating to try Spironolactone, please be patient and give it time. My acne got severely worse for a couple of months before any improvement was seen. It is worth the wait.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/26/2014 8:21 am

It is so reassuring to see another success on Spiro. I have been on since 12/30 along with Yasmin so about 75mg and this week am noticing a bit of oil reduction finally and things are seemingly calming down after rollercoasters of breakouts the first 2 months. If it weren't for stubborn closed comedones that appeared week 3 & 4 I would be about 98% clear. It's now just a matter of time of clearing these and trying to keep them from inflamming in the process. Sending you positive thoughts and hope this great progress and success continues for you. Keep posting and sharing, I read these boards every day and that is what has gotten me through!

Update: It has been almost two months since I started using the Spironolactone and Zinc Picolonate. I am seeing real improvement finally! The right side of my face has no acne right now; this is a first in 30 years. I only have two spots on the left side of my face which are getting better. After all these years going to a dermatologist, it was by OB/GYN who has made the difference. I wash with CeraVe facial cleanser and use CeraVe PM moisturizer; I love this stuff. I do use the Tazorac that my dermatologist prescribed which greatly helps reduce scarring and reduce brown spots, etc.

For anyone hesitating to try Spironolactone, please be patient and give it time. My acne got severely worse for a couple of months before any improvement was seen. It is worth the wait.

MemberMember
(@aben)

Posted : 02/26/2014 8:38 pm

So glad it seems to be working for you! Looks like we all started Spiro around the same time. Are you on an antibiotic too? What about an antidepressant? Just asking because I am on Zoloft.

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 02/27/2014 8:23 am

I can relate so much Prescriptionqueen! I'm 43 and also been dealing with acne since the age of 14, I am so tired of dealing with cystic acne or any kind of can for that matter! I was put on 50mg of Spiro and going into month 5, I am now finally seeing some clearing of my skin. I did have a cyst pop up last week but that was only because it was that time of month. I feel for what all acne suffers go through. I'm glad your doing better and hope to hear more of your progress :)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/27/2014 4:44 pm

Crushed!! Just when I think hey haven't had anything inflammatory in a few days, bam a bump appears on my chin. I just want to cry. I have been working from home all day. Get ready to go out and just noticing a red area now that is hard and know will be a cyst or hopefully come to a head. So discouraging seriously I wish this was over. Purging from BHA as well with the closed comedones.

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 02/27/2014 6:27 pm

Sorry to hear that CarpeMomentum! I know what you mean, when you think your all in the clear WHAM another cyst appears, sometimes I just want to slap my own face off LOL I know that's harsh to say but seriously I get so mad and so discouraged!!! We all have to hang in there and think positive thoughts even thou I know that's very hard. Im here for you girl :)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/28/2014 9:30 am

Thankfully the bump came to a head within hours, it's crazy how fast things move now. But a few other pores started to come inflammed a bit that were clogged on my cheek. I started using Paula's Choice bha 2% gel last week and I think I am experiencing the purge everyone is talking about. All of those clogged pores I've had are coming up quickly and it's just breaking my self esteem right now. I feel like I am back at my initial breakout out again even though it's really not as bad, I am definitely feeling dramatic about it all. I've attempted to stay positive, but sometimes I want to throw in the towel. You ladies give me the hope to keep going. Thank you for making me laugh, I do want to just slap my face off or cover it from the nose down and pretend the rest of it doesn't exist until this stuff really does it's magic. I know this is part of the process, that my pores have to get rid of whatever was in there, but man couldn't it just quietly disappear...poof be gone! Grrrrrrr 9 weeks on Sunday and praying every day for strength to get through this. I have to believe this will work and will stop eventually. How were things going into your 3rd month?

Sorry to hear that CarpeMomentum! I know what you mean, when you think your all in the clear WHAM another cyst appears, sometimes I just want to slap my own face off LOL I know that's harsh to say but seriously I get so mad and so discouraged!!! We all have to hang in there and think positive thoughts even thou I know that's very hard. Im here for you girl

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 02/28/2014 11:45 am

3rd month for me had ups and downs but I did notice I was getting smaller break outs and they would clear up faster. I feel right now if I were to stop the minocycline completely I would break out so im not too sure if 50 mg is strong enough for me to completely clear. :(

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/28/2014 12:12 pm

I have mixed feelings about 50 mg + Yasmin really being enough. But I did clear about 95% before when I was on Yasmin alone. I went to a Natropath Wed and she is sending me for bloodwork Tuesday testing 19 diff things hormonally and otherwise, so with 9 weeks of Spiro in me and almost 2 months of Yasmin, hopefully if there is still an imbalance or other imbalance we can detect and adjust. She mentioned she might add Progesterone as that may be low due to my other symptoms (sleep issues, lack of periods, the blahs, fatigue, migraines, etc) and I've read woman on both Spiro and Progesterone have had success as there was more than one culprit lurking. I am still producing oil so I have that same fear as well. But even when I was clear on Yasmin I was pretty oily, but I still had hormonal breakouts monthly.

3rd month for me had ups and downs but I did notice I was getting smaller break outs and they would clear up faster. I feel right now if I were to stop the minocycline completely I would break out so im not too sure if 50 mg is strong enough for me to completely clear.

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 02/28/2014 3:24 pm

I couldn't find a doctor who would give me Yaz or Yasmin, I guess its because I have some health issues going on that's not related to acne but I really wanted to get on that birth control so lucky you :P Let me know how all your testing went :)