Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Body image, Style, and Society

Had a great discussion with a friend on IM. I edited it to remove all the "brb" and "yea, you're right" things, and uploaded it. Please read it through completely, it leads to some very interesting stuff in the middle, but you need the previous stuff in order to fully understand.

enjoy! http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ms1858/societyconversation.htm

I'm "Mike" in there, by the way (names are not real)

that is way too long...

I think it doesn't matter what brand of clothe you wear, as long as they are clean and without wholes.

very interesting... a good read and it makes sense, too... and here, just 30 minutes ago, i felt like i'm just a 14-year old who doesn't really fit in with anybody and has no future because of it... now. somehow, this conversation just, opened my mind into thinking there's still 4 years left and i can still make a difference in my life without having to think about clothing and other unnecessary peraphernalia... very good read....

huh...a lot of my clothes have holes(no w bro) in them...and i know they arent always clean!!!

cut me some slack though...im a poor college kid, laundry costs money.

LOL, your friend is very smart. I like his statement about style being a function of society. Think the flapper. But of course, this is always arguable because social symbols like watches, clothes, and cars are not always indictators of social status nor do they function to separate class spheres. In fact, some of the wealthiest people can be the cheapest (i.e. Bill Gates) and vice versa. Actually, I believe clothing have even become balancing systems.

Overall, the beginning was very interesting but after that, everything was just rambling. Don't try to mix philosophy with social science, some concepts (such as love) does not always apply to the personal realm. IMHO, it seemed like he was be patient with you because you were just going off base with it. smile.gif

no it didn't/doesnt.

And teplo, that's a strange conversation, but parts of it were pretty interesting.

That's interesting, I can't read it all now, but it's something to think about. He tries to understand why people ''buy into an image'' from an objective perspective, yet later on in the conversation, the reason why he chooses a particular style is undeniably personal; he likes the way it looks on his body, he isn't interested in forming immediate rapports with others, he can 'reinvent' himself in the future.

He differentiates between himself and others who buy the same clothes as him, yet he looks for patterns between those who he believes seek a certain ''style'', or have a philiosophical connection to the way they present themselves to society.