Notifications
Clear all

Need Recommendation For Acne Scar/orange Peel Texture! (Pics Included)

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 01/26/2014 3:17 pm

I have been treating acne scars for about 2 years now. I never took a photo before I began any treatment, so I do not have a baseline of what I looked like before. However, with continuous treatments, my skin has become more sensitive, reddish (hyperpigmentation), and bumpy.

I have very oily skin due to genetics and large pores. I have had acne since I was 14 (currently 25) and fought cystic acne for a year before I used accutane to turn everything around. After my acne was normalized, I was left with severe scars. Very first treatment I received was an old CO2 laser. Then I received botobio peel, dermaroller, and Intracel treatments. Nothing seemed to work, so I decided to try something more intense; Fraxel:Repair. That helped a little, but my skin texture is still horrible sad.png

I could go see a dermatologist if I wanted to, but to be honest, I am kind of tired of their fake promises.

After Fraxel:Repair, I turned for home treatments and have used lactic and salicylic acid peels. To me, salicylic acid worked better than lactic for some reason. I am currently using TCA peels at home (have done 3 times, 18%, 21%, 24%) and do see some improvement after each treatment, but the result does not seem to last long. Also, I recently started using retin-a three days ago.

Scars really bother me, but what bothers me more is the orange peel like texture. I am 99% sure that my skin did not look like orange peel before I received acne scar treatments. I should have researched more on the side effects before going on with various treatments...

What would be the best way to fix orange peel texture and improve scars? Would AHA lotion do any good due to exfoliation in this case? I have tried literally everything and my skin is not improving much. I would really love some advice here. Thanks in advance!

post-370977-0-82494700-1390767357.jpg

post-370977-0-03856300-1390767362.jpg

post-370977-0-20658900-1390767377.jpg

post-370977-0-42563900-1390767382.jpg

post-370977-0-03856300-1390767362.jpg

post-370977-0-20658900-1390767377.jpg

post-370977-0-42563900-1390767382.jpg

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 01/26/2014 5:36 pm

AHA would make a difference to your overall texture of the skin, however it won't repair any major uneven surfaces.

Have you tried derma rolling with collagen + vitamin C serum?

Check out daizers89 (perfect beauty) on youtube as she has got rid of her scars like this.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/26/2014 7:13 pm

my ice pick scars are like yours and u said fraxel repair didnt work ? i have a consultation tomorrow and i hope fraxel repair would work i might gonna have to try subcision then

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/26/2014 7:26 pm

Lasers suck. I think with exfoliation and or chemical peels you can improve your skin!

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 01/26/2014 8:05 pm

AHA would make a difference to your overall texture of the skin, however it won't repair any major uneven surfaces.

Have you tried derma rolling with collagen + vitamin C serum?

Check out daizers89 (perfect beauty) on youtube as she has got rid of her scars like this.

Thanks for the info. I have tried vitamin C+E serum before (just like one she's using) but it stung too much and I returned it after using it twice. Maybe I should have kept using it. I might try it out again later.

my ice pick scars are like yours and u said fraxel repair didnt work ? i have a consultation tomorrow and i hope fraxel repair would work i might gonna have to try subcision then

Fraxel:Repair did not do much for me unfortunately. I am not sure what mJ setting my doctor used though. Whatever the setting was, it was the most painful procedure I have ever received in my life. I am also considering subcision, but heard bad reviews at the same time, so I am trying to do home procedures first.

Lasers suck. I think with exfoliation and or chemical peels you can improve your skin!

I agree with the first sentence. I think lasers are too harsh for skin. I have even read posts about "post laser scars," making your skin worse than it used to be. What type of chemical peels are you referring to? Do you have any experience in this?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/26/2014 8:09 pm

i honestly dont know what to do with all these different stories about lasers i mean i hear some people got good results and some dont

what about fillers?

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 01/26/2014 9:10 pm

i honestly dont know what to do with all these different stories about lasers i mean i hear some people got good results and some dont

what about fillers?

Never tried fillers. I thought fillers were only temporary solution, not permanent, so I tried to refrain away from them.

As far as lasers go, I think it can be effective, but it is YMMV. Each person has different skin, genetics, body composition, and what not. I know most doctors will opt out for laser simply because of convenience.

I had ice pick scars to begin with and not so much orange peel appearance, but as a result of continuous laser treatments and MTS, the skin around the scar was damaged, giving uneven texture. When I received MTS treatment, the aesthetician rolled very hard with 1 mm roller. I resembled a hell boy after each treatment and my face was red like a potato for at least three days. I was hoping that Fraxel:Repair would fix uneven texture, but it did not produce much result.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/26/2014 9:12 pm

what about fillers?

Never tried fillers. I thought fillers were only temporary solution, not permanent, so I tried to refrain away from them.

As far as lasers go, I think it can be effective, but it is YMMV. Each person has different skin, genetics, body composition, and what not. I know most doctors will opt out for laser simply because of convenience.

I had ice pick scars to begin with and not so much orange peel appearance, but as a result of continuous laser treatments and MTS, the skin around the scar was damaged, giving uneven texture. When I received MTS treatment, the aesthetician rolled very hard with 1 mm roller. I resembled a hell boy after each treatment and my face was red like a potato for at least three days. I was hoping that Fraxel:Repair would fix uneven texture, but it did not produce much result.

i guess punch excision is the only way

also i hear co2 laser is good for ice pick scars aswell

MemberMember
(@snydercharles425)

Posted : 01/27/2014 1:35 am

Looking forward to reading through more about this!

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 01/27/2014 9:38 am

Vitamin C used to sting bad when I started but now I don't feel it :)

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/27/2014 12:50 pm

so today i had a consultation and they said deep fx laser would leave pigmentation on my skin because i have asian skin so they did a 90% tca cross on my deepest one as a test if this comes out good i might do whole face of tca if not probably punch excision

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/27/2014 6:12 pm

so today i had a consultation and they said deep fx laser would leave pigmentation on my skin because i have asian skin so they did a 90% tca cross on my deepest one as a test if this comes out good i might do whole face of tca if not probably punch excision

Keep us informed! Much luck! How much was it btw?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/27/2014 6:23 pm

100 for consultation and the testing was free only one 1 deep scar to see how it goes

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/29/2014 7:49 pm

DAMN...he charged you for consultation sheesh is that common?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/30/2014 4:45 am

To OP,

Your skin has become too damn thin due to the exposure to laser and all those peels. Give your face a break.

Also I'm glad you've come to see the doctors objectively. There are too many naive folks here who take everything their derms tells them at face value. They forget science is always changing and who knows how their face will fare in 20 years from now, after so many abrasive treatments that literally damage the epidermis?

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 01/30/2014 2:54 pm

To OP,

Your skin has become too damn thin due to the exposure to laser and all those peels. Give your face a break.

Also I'm glad you've come to see the doctors objectively. There are too many naive folks here who take everything their derms tells them at face value. They forget science is always changing and who knows how their face will fare in 20 years from now, after so many abrasive treatments that literally damage the epidermis?

Do you think retin-a will thin the skin further and add more complexion to my skin? I am planning to use retin a at night and use argan oil + hyaluronic acid in the morning to protect epidermis layer. Is this a good plan? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/30/2014 3:22 pm

To OP,

Do you think retin-a will thin the skin further and add more complexion to my skin? I am planning to use retin a at night and use argan oil + hyaluronic acid in the morning to protect epidermis layer. Is this a good plan? Thanks.

Man, Retin-A is basically an exfoliant. So is the Hyaluronic acid. In another word, they are no different from the harsh peels you've been using all this time that have contributed to the thinning of your face.

Read THIS THREAD for heads-up, wherein the OP had a similar skin issue after getting a Fraxel and Retin-A (sounds similar, eh?!). Man, was she bitter. But she finally found a fix by using ONLY honey and Emu oil--and avoiding anything and everything "acidic".

Carefully examine the ingredients for all your skincare products. If you find any acidic contents like Retinol, AHA (Hyaluronic), Lactic Acid, etc., avoid it at all cost!

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 01/30/2014 3:34 pm

To OP,

Man, Retin-A is basically an exfoliant. So is the Hyaluronic acid. In another word, they are no different from the harsh peels you've been using all this time that have contributed to the thinning of your face.

Read THIS THREAD for heads-up, wherein the OP had a similar skin issue after getting a Fraxel and Retin-A (sounds similar, eh?!). Man, was she bitter. But she finally found a fix by using ONLY honey and Emu oil--and avoiding anything and everything "acidic".

Carefully examine the ingredients for all your skincare products. If you find any acidic contents like Retinol, AHA (Hyaluronic), Lactic Acid, etc., avoid it at all cost!

I know retin a basically works similar as an exfoliant, but thought it increases dermis layer thickness by improving collagen reproduction. Is it possible that retin a can worsen this condition? Apparently it can, and I will stop retin a immediately. Also, could you show me a reference where it talks about hyaluronic acid being irritating to skin? Some people say it heals the skin... I am confused haha.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/30/2014 5:35 pm

I know retin a basically works similar as an exfoliant, but thought it increases dermis layer thickness by improving collagen reproduction. Is it possible that retin a can worsen this condition? Apparently it can, and I will stop retin a immediately. Also, could you show me a reference where it talks about hyaluronic acid being irritating to skin? Some people say it heals the skin... I am confused haha.

Hyaluronic acid, when used in moderation, is actually a good thing. But it usually comes mixed with vitamin C, which in high concentration, can do more harm than good for those with already damaged skin like you. Sorry, I don't have the reference you're asking for. What's important to note is that you need to stay away from products that can irritate your skin further and Retin-A and HA are both bad.

Have you read the thread that I point out earlier? In case you haven't, here's the direct link:

http://www.realself.com/review/world-fraxel-laser-orange-peel-texture-help-please-read

Get yourself some Emu Oil and Honey and apply them religiously. The OP in the above link declared herself cured using those two magic potions.

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 01/30/2014 6:30 pm

I was going to post the same link re emu oil and honey. Iv ordered the products, will update soon x

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 01/30/2014 7:29 pm

Hyaluronic acid, when used in moderation, is actually a good thing. But it usually comes mixed with vitamin C, which in high concentration, can do more harm than good for those with already damaged skin like you. Sorry, I don't have the reference you're asking for. What's important to note is that you need to stay away from products that can irritate your skin further and Retin-A and HA are both bad.

Have you read the thread that I point out earlier? In case you haven't, here's the direct link:

http://www.realself.com/review/world-fraxel-laser-orange-peel-texture-help-please-read

Get yourself some Emu Oil and Honey and apply them religiously. The OP in the above link declared herself cured using those two magic potions.

I have 100% pure (supposedly... you never know lol) hyaluronic acid, but not sure if I should continue applying them. I am going to follow your advice and drop retin-a completely as this lies in with what DCgirl's result. I will do honey mask twice a day with emu oil and CeraVe lotion and cream. I do have one copper peptides serum that is questionable, but probably hold onto using it for now. I will also take Omega 3 and niacimide as supplements. I am going to soothe my skin for at least 3 months, potentially up to 6 months and post updates later. Thanks for your advice.

I was going to post the same link re emu oil and honey. Iv ordered the products, will update soon x

I am going to follow same regimen. Even though I have more acne scars around my cheek, I am not going to perform dermaroller at the moment because I do not want a risk of worsening the situation. I think once my epidermis layer is healed, I can move onto dermaroller.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 01/31/2014 5:26 am

Hyaluronic acid is not an exfoliant in any way, shape or form. It is a humecdant meaning it draws moisture to the skin.

It is one of the important substances naturally occurring in the skin to prevent it from ageing and scarring. It is hugely beneficial for all skin types and has no ability to irritate, even though it's called an "acid".

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 02/22/2014 11:30 pm

Honestly OP your scars are minor. I do understand what you mean by texture issues. Your scars are not severe enough to do something risky like excisions. I truly believe excisions for scars that are very deep and disfiguring. Fillers are not appropriate for you, because frankly there is nothing to fill. The few ice pick scars can not be filled.

Retin-a has at least 40 years of research behind it. Over time it does thicken the dermis not thin the skin, and has been proven to promote collagen production. I suggest looking at science rather than anecdotes and what some "believe."

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 02/22/2014 11:47 pm

To OP,

I want to point out that this lady on Realself did not post her own pictures. She posted pictures from the web saying that is what her skin RESEMBLED. That is really misleading.

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 02/23/2014 12:31 am

I want to point out that this lady on Realself did not post her own pictures. She posted pictures from the web saying that is what her skin RESEMBLED. That is really misleading.

Yes, I did notice that. If you keep reading the comments, you see that people who have had orange peel from Fraxel or IPL are having difficult times recovering using this regimen. I am using honey+emu oil to soothe my skin right now and will post any updates if it gets any better.

Honestly OP your scars are minor. I do understand what you mean by texture issues. Your scars are not severe enough to do something risky like excisions. I truly believe excisions for scars that are very deep and disfiguring. Fillers are not appropriate for you, because frankly there is nothing to fill. The few ice pick scars can not be filled.

Retin-a has at least 40 years of research behind it. Over time it does thicken the dermis not thin the skin, and has been proven to promote collagen production. I suggest looking at science rather than anecdotes and what some "believe."

Do you think thickening the dermis will help even out the texture? I was on retin a for about 10 days and my skin felt horrible for the entire time I was on it. After dropping it, my skin returned to normal with some time, but retin-a left more pitted scars that I did not have before. I am not joking about this... Maybe retin-a caused what people generally refer as 'swiss cheese effect.'