Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Regrown Hair After Accutane?

MemberMember
(@goirish)

Posted : 01/22/2014 4:33 pm

So as I posted before, I have been continuously shedding hair for 2 months and 10 days now. I'm taking 80 mgs, which is 1.17mg/kg for me. My shedding happened within the first week of treatment, and I haven't heard of anyone else who started shedding so early. I can now see that my hair is less dense, but it isn't severe yet. I feel if I continue with this, my hair will start looking pitiful. My derm assures me that the hairloss is temporary, but I am kind of doubting that. Or at the least it may take years to come back to how it was.

I just want to know, has anyone had similar hair problems then had regrowth after treatment? At this pace, I definitely can't last 3.5 more months. What about dropping to 40 mgs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, I'm a 19 year old male. With short, buzzed hair. This probably makes it more noticeable.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 01/22/2014 11:12 pm

If your not going to quit then I would speak to your physician to lower your dose. No one can really tell you if it will come back or not, people have had hair loss on 20mg! Are you on any other medications? Are you taking any supplements? Accutane is known to deplete Vit D, iron, b12 and sometimes biotin levels. however, some have developed acne from biotin. See the holistic forum.

I would just stay away from any prescription hair loss drugs.

goirish liked
MemberMember
(@goirish)

Posted : 01/23/2014 3:22 am

If your not going to quit then I would speak to your physician to lower your dose. No one can really tell you if it will come back or not, people have had hair loss on 20mg! Are you on any other medications? Are you taking any supplements? Accutane is known to deplete Vit D, iron, b12 and sometimes biotin levels. however, some have developed acne from biotin. See the holistic forum.

I would just stay away from any prescription hair loss drugs.

Thanks for the response. I am only currently taking Nuvigil alongside the accutane, but that shouldn't have any effect on my hair. I think I might try some supplements at this point. I am willing to finish this month of treatment at 80mg, as I am about half way done, but I think I may ask to drop down to 40mg, which I'm sure my NP will just tell me I will have to be on it twice as long blah blah blah. She claims she has only seen a "handful" of people who have shed hair, and told me that she has never seen it visibly noticeable. I'm not buying that... eusa_liar.gif

At this point, I think I may begin biotin at 20,000mcg, and possibly vit D and B12. I know my NP will frown on taking any supplements, but at this point, I don't see why I wouldn't try. My scalp is dry as Hell, and the 30mph winds in 0 degree weather isn't helping. I understand too that so long as I'm taking accutane, my hair loss will continue. It's just a matter of whether or not it will come back, which nobody truly knows (except for my NP, of course crazy2.gif ). I'm really just hoping to be on it long enough to see at least some therapeutic effect. However long that may be.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 01/23/2014 9:42 am

Yes, I am in the artic here in Illinois and with out Accutane I am dry! Make sure you are hydrated drinking a lot of water and using products that don't contain chemicals that will dry your hair out more. Just so your aware also, you can do a search on the board, being on Accutane longer is not a guarantee that you acne won't ever return and your NP can't say for sure that your hair will return to normal either.

I don't know your story, but there are safer alternatives and things you can do for acne. Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@termi1)

Posted : 03/03/2015 1:01 pm

Hey, did you had some regrowth later on? If yes or know, please let people know, would be so great :)

Hey, did you had some regrowth later on? If yes or know, please let people know, would be so great smile.png

So as I posted before, I have been continuously shedding hair for 2 months and 10 days now. I'm taking 80 mgs, which is 1.17mg/kg for me. My shedding happened within the first week of treatment, and I haven't heard of anyone else who started shedding so early. I can now see that my hair is less dense, but it isn't severe yet. I feel if I continue with this, my hair will start looking pitiful. My derm assures me that the hairloss is temporary, but I am kind of doubting that. Or at the least it may take years to come back to how it was.

I just want to know, has anyone had similar hair problems then had regrowth after treatment? At this pace, I definitely can't last 3.5 more months. What about dropping to 40 mgs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, I'm a 19 year old male. With short, buzzed hair. This probably makes it more noticeable.

MemberMember
(@clear-as-day)

Posted : 03/03/2015 9:03 pm

I'm interested to know how things went for the OP as well. I experienced a lot of hair shedding and breakage during my accutane course (I think the extreme dryness had a lot to do with it, and I started my course in the dead of winter), but it didn't really become that noticeable or bothersome until the last month or so. So I stopped taking the pills a couple weeks early, and the shedding immediately stopped. My hair had thinned out quite a bit, and right after my course I had to cut it shorter than it had been in a long time, but it grew back to its normal thickness from what I could tell (it just took a while because I had a lot of hair when I started).

ETA: Because I don't want to scare anyone, I want to clarify that the shedding hair became noticeable to my hairdresser and to me during the last month--but not really to anyone else.

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 03/06/2015 12:20 pm

First of all, you are taking a considerable high dose, and you say that your scalp is very dry. This two factors alone can contribute to hair loss early in the course of the treatment.

Personally I took 30mg/day for 10 months, with a 2 month break in the middle. I started to notice hair loss a few months before ending treatment (maybe 3). I don't see bald parts on my scalp, but I lost a lot of volume and I find it thinner. I have never had hair loss problems until now, not even in fall season.

I finished my course last January, and started to notice hair growth around my face, so it's a good sign and I'm not too worried yet. I'm also using a special shampoo for hair growth and supplements (hair, skin and nails, by Solgar). I am still experiencing hair loss, but I how it subsides in a few months. It's just a little extra help.

Not everyone have the same experience, but maybe you should consider supplements, and maybe lower your daily dose. Generally, the hair loss subsides a few months after treatment.

Good luck