Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has acne ever prevented you from playing sports?

If not, has it affected your performance at all (psychologically on the field, court, etc.)?

I'm very athletic and played varsity soccer all four years of my high school career. This is my first year of college and I skipped trying out for my college's team because I broke out with acne. I knew I would have made it, but the acne just killed my confidence. I am completely clear of acne now and I feel like an idiot for not playing cause now I'm just sitting around until next season. Never ever let it affect something you love doing!

Has acne ever prevented you from playing sports?

If not, has it affected your performance at all (psychologically on the field, court, etc.)?

I'm very athletic and played varsity soccer all four years of my high school career.  This is my first year of college and I skipped trying out for my college's team because I broke out with acne.  I knew I would have made it, but the acne just killed my confidence.  I am completely clear of acne now and I feel like an idiot for not playing cause now I'm just sitting around until next season.  Never ever let it affect something you love doing!

I know when I'm breaking out I'm less likely to exercise, which usually I am religious about. I know that's probably not a sport, per-se, but it's rigorous physical activity done at a gym, surrounded by other people.

Yeah its kinda the same thing with me,

In England, Cricket is like an averagely big sport besides soccer, anyways we have to wear helmet's like batting a bit like baseball.

Anyways, being part of the team we have weekly matches, and Id find myself being less keen to play when I had a breakout, because I thought the helmet would which covers part of the forehead would cause me more damage..., and overall I would lose concentration...

But now that its controlled, I realise that I was being stupid, but Id agree in saying that Im less likely to exercise when suffering from a potential breakout, because i feel that sweat and internal body heat contribute, but thats just a personal opinion....not scientifically proven.

ok enough babbling...bye.

I was a varsity wrestler all throughout highschool, but in the Senior year I broke out bad with Acne all over my chest and shoulders but none on my face. I had cystic Acne so it was very painfull to wrestle, I ended up making an excuse why I wasn't going into the years season to my coach. It sucked.

cry.gif

Yes. I love track, and chose to go to an athletic high school because they were well known for having a great track team. I ended up having to quit in grade 11 because I had a really bad flare up of runner's knee. I was fine in grade 12 though, and definitely could have rejoined. I chose not to though because it would have done my skin no favors (think: hot underground track, early morning practices followed by class, horribly sun-sensitive skin, makeup, etc etc).

I know when I'm breaking out I'm less likely to exercise, which usually I am religious about.  I know that's probably not a sport, per-se, but it's rigorous physical activity done at a gym, surrounded by other people.

when it comes to sports, music, acting, etc. i think that people focus more on the talent of a person more so than what they look like. i've been singing since freshmen year of high school, and have done numerous musicals and such since where i've been in a leading roll. i never let acne get in the way because music and acting is something i love to do. why let acne hinder that?

Er definite YES. I wouldn't dream of taking my shirt/t-shirt off in front of other people when I need to change into sports gear! Its one of the main reasons why I didn't join any of the sports teams at my uni cos I love playing sports but acne is a no no.

I haven't really got changed in front of people since PE at school which was like 5/6 years ago. Now, I'm just dead scared of showing anyone my skin cos my back is just disgusting! The only times where acne hasn't bothered me when playing sports is when I go and play 'soccer' aka football with my mates in the park. As my skin is well covered up.

I don't really think about my acne playing sports any more then when I'm walking through school. Actually, I feel better. All the guys on my boyfriend's team have acne or at least acne scars on their cheeks from the helmets, when they get sweaty and dirty and so on, but they don't really give a shit and no one can really even notice with the helmets on. I don't know. I always thought sports was a kind of acne stress reliever, you're all concentrated on playing the sport, not on someone's acne.

I think it definitely does yes!!

Im pretty sporty...played to a high level in most sports but when my skin got real bad id avoid training sessions/fixtures regardless of me being a faster runner, longer jumper-er..etc etc

Now my acne's extremely bad, i wont join a gym because of it because they're dautning enough places anyway full of the thin and beautiful people without.Saying that, sport does help your skin out, as long as you wash properly afterwards so i go jogging, just around the country roads!

But....more specifically...prospect of sports trials etc etc would be much worse if i had suffered a breakout, even though i was one of the best in my region at most sports, it would put me off.. but then, so would all the britich private school kids with all the best gear, but i guess thats a different thing.. all confidence related though and acne crushes confidence!

acne's never really gotten in the way for me...it only got bad once, and the tane stopped it for the most part...

I played a lot of volleyball, and most people dont pay attention to your face after you've smashed the shit out of the ball at their head. Pole vaulting was kinda the same...

Snowboarding and skating are no diff now, people dont really notice...individual sports ROCK!!!

dammit i want snow

Just to give everyone an update...

I have been recently talking to the coach of my college and he has gone to a couple of my games with other teams and has assured me that he likes what he sees and that I will be put on the roster next year. In the mean time though he asked me to train with them during the off season with all of the returning players! eusa_dance.gif