Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I started having acne when I was 13 and had moderate acne till I turned 16 when my acne became severe, lots of papules. I then started accutane in Jan 2011 at 0.65 mg/ kg for 4 months. My skin cleared perfectly, it was the best thing i'd ever done. My derm stopped my course early because she thought I was done. For two years I had almost perfect skin, however since Sep 2013 I started having small breakouts, several big spots every now and then on and off. I have been treating it with Benzyl but now in the last week or so my skin has become worse. My left cheek has broken out and I have quite a few papules in various places. I have been trying salicylic acid for two weeks but so far no results, things have gotten worse. It's now 2 and a half years since I finished accutane why would I be breaking out now after all this time? If this is remission will things keep getting worse?

From what I understand, stopping a course early and being very young (aka a teenager) dramatically increases your likelihood of remission. It might be a good idea to ask your dermatologist about a second course of accutane. You could also try prescription topicals or antibiotics, as there evidence that acne responds better to these treatments post-accutane.