Notifications
Clear all

Equivalent To Accutane That Does Not Require Blood Work? Im 3 Years Into Acne Meds

MemberMember
(@the45master)

Posted : 01/19/2014 9:04 pm

I am now 3 years and about $4,000 into acne meds & treatments. The only thing that somewhat worked was Septra, its a powerful anti-bacterial pill, but its dangerous to take long term, and my doctor refused to continue to prescribe it after 6 months. I could go to another doctor, but its bad to take anyways long term. Here is what I have taken so far that has not worked(did each one for about 6 months):
PILLS: Septra, Solodyn( minocycline), Doxycycline.
CREAMS: Acanya, Tretinoin Cream USP .025%, Ziana.
LASER PROCEDURES: GenesisPlus, IPL, Spectra.
The laser procedures were about $300 a POP!! Did about 3 of each of them, they are supposed to close your pores, and remove scarring, oil, etc.... High end fancy lasers. So I thought for $300 a pop it would kick my Acne's ass! But it ended up being a complete waste of about $2500! Just got new acne that scared all my face.
So I think Accutane might work, I hear great things, but it require blood draws and test. Its not an option for me, I will not do it. I also am paying cash, so labwork gets costly. So, any medication recommendations that are as powerful as accutane? Id prefer a pill, I think they work better. So, ideas? Is there anything left to try? Seems like ive done it all....ughh
Thanks
MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 01/19/2014 10:31 pm

There is no other option, I'm sorry to tell you.

Accutane is the ONLY non-hormonal, non-antibacterial, and non-antibiotical pill you can take for acne, other than vitamins that are known to help reduce it.

It is actually the only permanent cure for acne, if it works for you, which is statistically 2/3 people, but I personally don't think that ratio is correct. I think it's more like a 50/50 chance your first round.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/19/2014 10:35 pm

Nothing is on the same level as accutane. Not even close. Bactrim (Septra) is the most powerful antibiotic used for acne. Again, nothing else comes close (Bactrim is also, like accutane, somewhat dangerous).

There is no quick fix for acne. A solution requires time and dedication, even if it's a pharmaceutical. I would suggest using the regimen in combination with dietary modification (for which I suggest the paleo diet). These solutions, like all (except maybe Septra - I saw results on it within a few days) will take time.

MemberMember
(@the45master)

Posted : 01/19/2014 11:18 pm

Do you think its that bad to continue on Septra? Should I just keep taking that then? It seems to work, and if its just as risky as accutane, why not right? Or would you advise against it?

Thank

Nothing is on the same level as accutane. Not even close. Bactrim (Septra) is the most powerful antibiotic used for acne. Again, nothing else comes close (Bactrim is also, like accutane, somewhat dangerous).

There is no quick fix for acne. A solution requires time and dedication, even if it's a pharmaceutical. I would suggest using the regimen in combination with dietary modification (for which I suggest the paleo diet). These solutions, like all (except maybe Septra - I saw results on it within a few days) will take time.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/19/2014 11:22 pm

Accutane is more risky. Septra can be really bad if you're sensitive to sulfa meds. It can also have longer lasting effects on everyone who takes it, because it wipes out your beneficial bacteria, which could lead to more acne in the long run. I would take neither.

MemberMember
(@the45master)

Posted : 01/20/2014 1:00 am

ahh man. Well, I still think accutane would be best, and would take it if it werent for bloodwork. As far as septra, I am not sensitive to sulfa meds, but like you said, can be bad in long run. So I guess Ill just wait this out

Accutane is more risky. Septra can be really bad if you're sensitive to sulfa meds. It can also have longer lasting effects on everyone who takes it, because it wipes out your beneficial bacteria, which could lead to more acne in the long run. I would take neither.

MemberMember
(@intensecow)

Posted : 01/21/2014 12:39 pm

why won't you do blood work?

jazzybean liked