Notifications
Clear all

Accutane ... Cysts ?

MemberMember
(@pinkchips)

Posted : 01/18/2014 7:49 am

Hi

I know there are numerous posts about accuntane but I was wondering if anyone had taken it for my specific type of acne and if so did it work ?. Did you get an initial breakout ? . How long did it take to work ? . Were the results permanent ?

I have had an acne problem for 18 years ( I'm now 30) but since 22 it's been kept pretty much under control by dianette and vitamins . The last 6 months I've had these horrible cysts come up every couple of weeks, they are really raised and inflamed and cover a huge area . I only get one or two at a time then they go and my skin is clear for a week before they come up again . I have been back on dianette for 4 and a half months after having a baby and I thought it just needed to kick in again ... It hasn't . I saw a dermatologist and she recommended accuntane as my cysts are so big and are leaving scars . I have always resisted accutane but these cysts are making me so depressed. Has anyone taken it for the same type of problem ?, I don't have acne apart from the cysts and as I say when they go down my skin is clear for a week or so at a time . They are so bad when they do come up and take a week or so to go , at the moment I have one that has caused swelling under my eye :(.

Any advice ?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 01/18/2014 12:44 pm

Maybe you should have your hormones tested before you go on accutane?

MemberMember
(@pinkchips)

Posted : 01/18/2014 5:07 pm

The dermatologist did suggest that I'm tested for pcos but also said the treatment would be dianette which I'm on already . It doesn't seem to be working this time :(. These cysts are bothering me more than the spots I used to get .

Thanks for your reply :)

MemberMember
(@pinkchips)

Posted : 04/03/2014 7:58 pm

I thought i would update in case anyone has found my post . I decided to take my pill ( dianette) pack to pack without the 7 day break and within 3 weeks the cysts stopped . I still get a couple of medium sized spots every month but it's nothing compared to what i did have and they heal very quickly compared to before. I was told by my dermatologist that it may not be a good idea to mess with the pills but she did admit that the side effects from accutane were worse. I now take two packs without a break and then have a 7 day break and start the third back . I am not advising anyone to do this but just saying it has worked for me.