Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone And Antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 01/16/2014 10:39 pm

So, after MONTHS of trying desperately to get spiro from my derm, I finally saw a doctor and presented my case about why I think I have a hormonal problem (acne that came back after accutane, increased hair shedding, excess body hair, etc., etc.) I fit the bill for androgen excess perfectly, and my doctor is giving me a blood test next week and was not against trying spiro. I am obviously SO relieved (and annoyed that getting a doctor to finally hear me out was akin to pulling teeth).

I was thinking about asking my derm for an antibiotic to accompany spiro for the first few months, but I am unsure about whether I should. I've been on minocycline and doxycycline and neither worked, but I was thinking about asking for bactrim. Anyone use the two together and have good results? I know there is an existing topic on this but I figured I'd ask the current dwellers of the board for their experiences!

MemberMember
(@wave50)

Posted : 01/17/2014 12:04 am

Hi! So I started Spiro a little under 3 months ago and it has worked wonders! It definitely takes time though..I didn't see much improvement till about the 2 month mark..and even that was still little improvement. But it will work eventually!

I started the spiro without any antibiotics but around the 2 month mark i just wanted to get on an antibiotic pill to clear up the remaining acne I had until the spiro really kicked in. I had been on mino before spiro and it worked wonderful for me! But then i grew resistant..so this time he prescribed me erythromycin just for a short period of time to let the spiro really kick in. I asked for Bactrim but he said it was too dangerous while on spiro..

Right now I am about 99% clear and am just dealing with alot of red marks which will hopefully fade over time! But I guess my point is that yes..I would try a low dose antibiotic for about 3 months or so until the sprio seems to really be kicking in!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/17/2014 9:48 am

Hi there! Just wanted to join in on this thread as I am a new user to this forum and just started posting about my journey on Spironolactone. I also started at home blue light/red light therapy and a few days ago mega does of B5 as that actually cleared up my acne many years ago. This week is the week before my period and experience a terrible initial breakout, worse than when I started Spiro. I know that this is clearing of past clogged pores, so I just need to buckle down and get through this.

My question to both of you is how long after taking antibiotics did it help with your current breakouts?

Thanks so much!!!

MemberMember
(@wave50)

Posted : 01/17/2014 2:04 pm

Ive only been on the antibiotic for about a week and i'm already starting to clear!

MemberMember
(@emily54)

Posted : 01/17/2014 2:57 pm

My doc just prescribed topical clindoxyl gel (BP and clindamycin), and will prescribe spiro for me next month if my hormonal blood test come back normal. I can't use tetracycline-based antibiotics like minocycline, so this was her second choice.

MemberMember
(@hunniebun)

Posted : 01/17/2014 8:44 pm

CS99 - I am still working on getting a spiro prescription from my Dr. too. She is reluctant because of the potassium issues and said if she prescribed it, I would have to have blood work every 4 weeks, which is kind of a pain. She gave me Tetracycline (my second round) and Differin at my last appointment, but it is not working after 2 weeks. My first round of tetracyline was amazing. I did not have one cycle cyst the entire time. I stopped for 14 days and was right back where I started. So I think that doing an anti biotic while you wait for the spiro to work it's magic is a great idea. I have another appointment next week where I am going to insist...and if that doesn't work I will resort to begging! I am so tired of dealing with this. It was so nice when the antibiotic was working, it is amazing the kinds of things you can do when your skin is horrible and painful.

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 01/19/2014 8:20 pm

Hi! So I started Spiro a little under 3 months ago and it has worked wonders! It definitely takes time though..I didn't see much improvement till about the 2 month mark..and even that was still little improvement. But it will work eventually!

I started the spiro without any antibiotics but around the 2 month mark i just wanted to get on an antibiotic pill to clear up the remaining acne I had until the spiro really kicked in. I had been on mino before spiro and it worked wonderful for me! But then i grew resistant..so this time he prescribed me erythromycin just for a short period of time to let the spiro really kick in. I asked for Bactrim but he said it was too dangerous while on spiro..

Right now I am about 99% clear and am just dealing with alot of red marks which will hopefully fade over time! But I guess my point is that yes..I would try a low dose antibiotic for about 3 months or so until the sprio seems to really be kicking in!

I will be sure to ask about eryrthromycin if he doesn't want to give me bactrim! I am glad to hear you're having such great success!

Hi there! Just wanted to join in on this thread as I am a new user to this forum and just started posting about my journey on Spironolactone. I also started at home blue light/red light therapy and a few days ago mega does of B5 as that actually cleared up my acne many years ago. This week is the week before my period and experience a terrible initial breakout, worse than when I started Spiro. I know that this is clearing of past clogged pores, so I just need to buckle down and get through this.

My question to both of you is how long after taking antibiotics did it help with your current breakouts?

Thanks so much!!!

I'll let you know which antiobiotic I get (if he agrees to give me one at all) and update on my progress :) I hope you get through the initial breakout, I know how tough they can be!

CS99 - I am still working on getting a spiro prescription from my Dr. too. She is reluctant because of the potassium issues and said if she prescribed it, I would have to have blood work every 4 weeks, which is kind of a pain. She gave me Tetracycline (my second round) and Differin at my last appointment, but it is not working after 2 weeks. My first round of tetracyline was amazing. I did not have one cycle cyst the entire time. I stopped for 14 days and was right back where I started. So I think that doing an anti biotic while you wait for the spiro to work it's magic is a great idea. I have another appointment next week where I am going to insist...and if that doesn't work I will resort to begging! I am so tired of dealing with this. It was so nice when the antibiotic was working, it is amazing the kinds of things you can do when your skin is horrible and painful.

Wow, blood tests every four weeks? That's such a pain and seems a bit much. Maybe try to compromise for every 8 weeks? I've never used tetracycline but mino- and doxycycine have been total duds for me. I would love to be able to experience clearing on an antiobiotic!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/23/2014 11:23 am

I will be sure to ask about eryrthromycin if he doesn't want to give me bactrim! I am glad to hear you're having such great success!

>Hi there! Just wanted to join in on this thread as I am a new user to this forum and just started posting about my journey on Spironolactone. I also started at home blue light/red light therapy and a few days ago mega does of B5 as that actually cleared up my acne many years ago. This week is the week before my period and experience a terrible initial breakout, worse than when I started Spiro. I know that this is clearing of past clogged pores, so I just need to buckle down and get through this.

Thanks so much!!!

I'll let you know which antiobiotic I get (if he agrees to give me one at all) and update on my progress smile.png I hope you get through the initial breakout, I know how tough they can be!

Wow, blood tests every four weeks? That's such a pain and seems a bit much. Maybe try to compromise for every 8 weeks? I've never used tetracycline but mino- and doxycycine have been total duds for me. I would love to be able to experience clearing on an antiobiotic!

Happy Almost Friday!

Today is a rough rough day. I thought I had a rough breakout last week, more inflammatory now it is all of these little comedones coming up I can see when I get really close that I am dreading. I started taking B5 megadose, thinking I should stop this?! Any advice on how to clear these suckers. So embarassing and I just want to hide. My skin is so dry, but so oily at the same time What the crap is that :/ Using Cerave Hydrating Cleanser, Salcylic acid, BP and Lac Hydrin. So sensitive right now. Just called my derms office and begging for an antiinflammatory/antibiotic. I have never taken for acne, but in general I do really well with antibiotics. Any soothing words of wisdom or advice would be greatly had right now. Worse than before I started, like when I was a teenager grrrr all on my lower half of my face cheeks down.

MemberMember
(@wave50)

Posted : 01/23/2014 11:36 am

don't worry I think alot of us were like that when first starting as well! I do suggest an oral antibiotic I think that will help until the spiro kicks in. It definitely takes a good three months so you just need to persevere! I also think reading the reviews helped me alot during my bad breakout:) stay strong

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:29 pm

I agree, you should try to get an antibiotic. i know it's hard to persevere, but I am sure it will get better!

don't worry I think alot of us were like that when first starting as well! I do suggest an oral antibiotic I think that will help until the spiro kicks in. It definitely takes a good three months so you just need to persevere! I also think reading the reviews helped me alot during my bad breakout:) stay strong

MemberMember
(@wave50)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:39 pm

nope not at all! I am taking erythromycin now but I honestly think it is the spiro doing all the work..but its nice being on the antibiotic just for a few more months

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/23/2014 3:45 pm

i would stop everything except for the spiro and whatever antibiotic you get. just eat healthy and try not to stress and workout at least 3-5 days a week and that will help. add in some aha or bha to help clear those pores and you should be fine. just give both things time to kick in. i have been on spiro for over a year and have only had a blood test once so you dont need to go back every 4 weeks.

MemberMember
(@wave50)

Posted : 01/23/2014 10:33 pm

i would stop everything except for the spiro and whatever antibiotic you get. just eat healthy and try not to stress and workout at least 3-5 days a week and that will help. add in some aha or bha to help clear those pores and you should be fine. just give both things time to kick in. i have been on spiro for over a year and have only had a blood test once so you dont need to go back every 4 weeks.

I agree with this 100%! How is the spiro working for you after this long??

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/24/2014 9:29 am

spiro is working very well i really like the stuff. i can eat whatever i want too and dont have any issues which is nice. i have no side effects now which is great. at first i got 2 periods a month for a while and i would get very light headed when i stood up but things are totally normal now.

one more thing, before i started the antibiotic with the spiro my face was a mess! every clogged pore i had turned into a huge cyst and i even had nodules too which was a new thing for me. i started with 25mg and then worked up to 100mg and every single time my dose was upped i broke out so when i started the antibiotic and was clearing up i added in the proactiv toner because it has glycolic acid in it to help clear the rest of those clogged pores. its crazy i never realized how much dead skin and makeup was left on my face after washing and with using the toner my face felt so clean it was nice! the stuff can dry you though so what i do is i use it all over my face after washing (only in the evening) and then i rinse it off and apply my moisturizer. if i have any bumps or clogged pores that want to come through i just put a little of the toner on a cotton swab and apply it to the bump and then i wait until its dry and apply bp over it. i swear it clears those suckers up quick!

anyway good luck to you and if you have any other questions you can pm me.

MemberMember
(@hunniebun)

Posted : 01/24/2014 8:05 pm

tracy521 That is awesome that it is working so well for you. I think I will ask my Dr. for the prescription and agree to the blood tests...and then hopefullly after a few months of it being totally normal (which I am sure it will be) she will lighten up. She had a patient die of a stroke two years ago on Diane-35 so I think she is VERY cautious about her prescriptions for acne. So I understand I guess.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/25/2014 12:05 pm

i am pretty much against the pill after i got a phlebitis on yazmin about 5 years ago. i took ortho-tri-cyclen for years with no issues and then when i took the yazmin after took weeks i got that. my doctor took me off the pills and i am never to take them again. i was only 31 at the time and didnt smoke and was very healthy so i would just go with the spiro and avoid the pill. just my two cents though.