Notifications
Clear all

Persistent Redness And Flushing On Accutane

MemberMember
(@northernxlights95)

Posted : 01/16/2014 10:05 pm

Hi Acne.org, I started Amnesteem (Isotretinoin) on December 14, 2013 and have had dramatic clearing in my skin. I barely had an initial breakout since starting and that's great, however I am red all the time 24/7 and flush/blush randomly and it is very irritating. This was occurring before I started as well. It may be from all the products I've used over the years before I finally resorted to Isotretinoin. I am posting to try to determine if this is normal or if I should be concerned? I am so sick of this and want my normal skin tone back. I am beginning to feel hopeless on this matter and I seriously need a diagnosis on what this is?

post-216229-0-16833300-1389927866.jpg

post-216229-0-26728000-1389927897.jpg

post-216229-0-30046800-1389927915.jpg

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/16/2014 11:22 pm

Nope thats completely normal. Im on accutane too and im the same way. Its a listed common side effect. Unfortunately youre going to have to put up with it until you get off it. Youre pretty fair skinned like me and I also had a slight pinkish tone to my skin pre accutane which is probably because what you said, using harsh products on your face for so long. Anyway just make sure you are moisturizing really good and I try to only wash my wash with cool water which helps a bit.

How many MG do you take a day? The higher the dosage the more common these side effects are. Also it being winter doesnt help either.

MemberMember
(@northernxlights95)

Posted : 01/16/2014 11:32 pm

Hi CWR24, thank you for your timely response. Much appreciated. I am quite relieved to hear that this is a common occurrence in Isotretinoin users and not something drastic like rosacea. I thought it was for quite some time because of the "rosacea-like" symptoms I've been experiencing. Such symptoms include constant redness, flushing (even when eating), tingling sensations, and always warm in the face. I started off taking 40mg a day month one and am now on 60mg a day.

MemberMember
(@oilyacnequeen)

Posted : 01/19/2014 10:44 am

I never flushed before accutane but accutane has caused my face and tops of forearms to flush and get hot randomly. It doesn't happen often, maybe once a week for me. I have fair, pink hued skin as well (blue eyed blond with northern and Eastern European ancestry).

MemberMember
(@acnewackne)

Posted : 01/21/2014 2:23 pm

Hi Acne.org, I started Amnesteem (Isotretinoin) on December 14, 2013 and have had dramatic clearing in my skin. I barely had an initial breakout since starting and that's great, however I am red all the time 24/7 and flush/blush randomly and it is very irritating. This was occurring before I started as well. It may be from all the products I've used over the years before I finally resorted to Isotretinoin. I am posting to try to determine if this is normal or if I should be concerned? I am so sick of this and want my normal skin tone back. I am beginning to feel hopeless on this matter and I seriously need a diagnosis on what this is?

I started Roaccutane (isotretinoin) on Dec 17, 2013 so I'm almost at the same stage as you. Similarly my skin is clearing and today I have no 'actives' for the first time in ages! However my skin is constantly red all the time and I flush really easily. It usually happens about 2 or 3 times a day and it's pretty embarrassing. Then when the flushing occurs it makes you even more embarrassed as you know you've went bright red for no reason. It is listed as a common side effect so I'm not worried. I know it'll go away when I'm finished. My skin has red marks from previous spots everywhere too, and the redness just highlights this. I really want my normal skin tone back too! In the morning when I wake up it looks almost normal, then as soon as I move it looks a bit red again neutral.gif . It makes me feel my skin isn't improving as the redness masks the actual great clearing job the roaccutane is doing.

I'm on 30mg a day. Cannot wait until this 'experience' is over! Just think, the clear skin is on it's way!

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 07/28/2014 11:58 pm

I am curious how your course went NoRtHeRnxLiGhTs95. Did you end up clearing your skin? And did you ever get an initial break out? My skin too is persistent but mild/moderate, and I do get cysts. I am starting my course next month, 20mg. Your skin looked amazing for the first month!

MemberMember
(@northernxlights95)

Posted : 09/19/2014 10:42 am

Hi Melie87! My course did go good and I was completely clear of all existing acne on my face and body. However being 3 months post Accutane I'm sad to report that I am once again breaking out. How sad . I thought for sure I nailed it this time around with this awesome drug but I guess it will go when it's ready. If I still have to deal with this past 21 I'll cry. None the less though it is still very minor and barely noticeable. However I can say that I could be blamed for these few breakouts that occurred being that I've done nothing but party for these last 3-4 nights and haven't been washing. My best tip for you guys after finishing Accutane once you're finally clear is EXFOLIATE. The oil will eventually return but that's okay. Acne isn't caused by oil it's caused by oil mixing with dead skin. If you're exfoliating the dead skin off you're face the oil will have nothing to mix with. Good luck my fellow acne sufferers!

MemberMember
(@ctywater12)

Posted : 08/20/2020 2:33 pm

On 9/19/2014 at 11:42 AM, NoRtHeRnxLiGhTs95 said:

Hi Melie87! My course did go good and I was completely clear of all existing acne on my face and body. However being 3 months post Accutane I'm sad to report that I am once again breaking out. How sad . I thought for sure I nailed it this time around with this awesome drug but I guess it will go when it's ready. If I still have to deal with this past 21 I'll cry. None the less though it is still very minor and barely noticeable. However I can say that I could be blamed for these few breakouts that occurred being that I've done nothing but party for these last 3-4 nights and haven't been washing. My best tip for you guys after finishing Accutane once you're finally clear is EXFOLIATE. The oil will eventually return but that's okay. Acne isn't caused by oil it's caused by oil mixing with dead skin. If you're exfoliating the dead skin off you're face the oil will have nothing to mix with. Good luck my fellow acne sufferers!

bro did all the redness go away!? i have similar redness.

did all of your redness go away!? i have similar redness.

MemberMember
(@northernxlights95)

Posted : 10/29/2020 6:26 pm

Hi ctywater12. I'll have to say after almost 7 years I still experience no redness and acne. A long time ago it was nailed in the butt. Probably 1 year after I completed the course I was cured 100 percent! Hope the same happens for you and even sooner better yet! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@ctywater12)

Posted : 11/15/2020 12:42 am

awesome! how long did it take for most of it to go away??

MemberMember
(@ctywater12)

Posted : 12/17/2020 3:01 pm

also could you send me your number or instagram so i can ask you further questions??

MemberMember
(@ctywater12)

Posted : 01/09/2021 2:15 am

^^^^ i wanna ask some questions. hoping you see this!!