Notifications
Clear all

Dmso: The Best Fix For Acne

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/15/2014 3:36 pm

First, allow me to rant. What is there that is not good for acne? Google anything you can think of with the keyword "acne" (ie. search for Mayonaise+Acne) and you'll find a plethora of articles claiming that this is the next best thing for acne to date after breast augmentation was invented. Go figure. All I can say is anything goes!

Now, I wanna state from the outset that I've only recently been on the quest to find a cure for my scar-ravaged face. How I came upon DMSO was completely by accident. I read a research abstract somewhere on the Internet where the author vaguely made a reference to some obscure study that touted DMSO to be the cure for all-things scars. Well, I ain't too sure about that since it hasn't done sh*t for my craters.:) But, I must admit, DMSO is a magic potion when it comes to acne treatment. After having applied this thing and leaving it on overnight, the zits were gone by the morning. Only the most severe ones remained, but they noticeably shriveled. I've yet to see anything that was able to clear up the zits so quickly.

It's worth noting, however, DMSO is toxic. Depending on which strength you use (I'm using 99% concentration) and your skintype, you might want to dilute it with a moisturizer. Just remember to use a small amount at first. I went all out on the first two days and, holy crap, was my face unhappy. But the pain, in hindsight, was minuscule compared to the reward. As they say, no pain, no gain.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/15/2014 8:10 pm

look into niacinamide/zinc sunscreen/retinoid if bp is not an option. DMSo is not a long term solution.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/15/2014 8:47 pm

look into niacinamide/zinc sunscreen/retinoid if bp is not an option. DMSo is not a long term solution.

I beg to differ. Have you personally tried DMSO? I tried all three and DMSO is the only one to date that can zap zits in such a short time. Others you would need to apply for days before you can see any meaningful improvement.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/29/2014 4:20 am

Here's a very old article, written way back in 1981 (gulp), about this wonder drug.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124394/

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 01/30/2014 7:26 pm

What is DMSO.

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 01/31/2014 1:49 am

Also wondering what is DMSO?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/31/2014 3:27 am

What is DMSO.

It stands for Dimethyl Sulfoxide, which is like a by-product of wood pulp and was originally used as an industrial solvent. But they've since found medicinal benefits for its use.

Personally, it's been only about a month since I stumbled upon this wonderful product. I really don't know the exact detail on how this thing works but it didn't take long to find out it just might be THE ELEXIR of new life for the chronic acne sufferers.

Seriously, this thing zaps zits like no other. When I applied it to the affected areas prior to going to bed, the zits were either gone or noticeably diminished by the next morning. Maybe it was just me, but as a long-time acne sufferer myself DMSO is by far the best that I've seen to date.

Here's the background history of DMSO, including benefits and controversies (I suggest you Google for more info):

http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm

Also read this Sports Illustrated article, very interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124394/

Finally, is it good for scars too?

http://books.google.com/books?id=mLAyJBF1sVoC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=dmso+and+acne+scar&source=bl&ots=cT3dvnu6DT&sig=S3rMHlYgfdV2zHQqiADzR-gcbAU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gVLrUu6KMcfgoASIioGoBg&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCQ

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 01/31/2014 6:10 am

Thank you so much for this information. This stuff is safe to be applied on your skin? Where can I purchase this product. I mean hey, I'm willing to try anything before Accutane.

Heck, nothing is really a permenant cure, we never know when our hormones are going to imbalance and cause a break out of horrible zits. How many people went on Accutane and still have problems with acne.

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 01/31/2014 1:00 pm

Thank you so much for this information. This stuff is safe to be applied on your skin? Where can I purchase this product. I mean hey, I'm willing to try anything before Accutane.

Heck, nothing is really a permenant cure, we never know when our hormones are going to imbalance and cause a break out of horrible zits. How many people went on Accutane and still have problems with acne.

Considering it is sold at hardware stores and health food stores might be best to purchase from the healthfood store. And its safe but start with a low percentage (at least what I've been reading), but Pink have you tried other alternatives before taking accutane? I was prescribed Isotretenoin (generic form of accutane) and man, I can honestly tell you the side effects were not worth it at all. And on-top of that it cleared me up maybe 30-35% if that. I went off of it after a month because of how bad the side effects were and this was over 3 years ago may I add and I'm still having trouble with them. Anyway please be careful if you do decide to go down the accutane route.

MemberMember
(@jj420)

Posted : 01/31/2014 1:31 pm

This stuff seems a little to scary to use on my face, I'd def be weary of anything that's sold in hardware store that you put on your face :/

MemberMember
(@apple-blossom)

Posted : 01/31/2014 1:53 pm

Hmmm this is interesting..

I only know of DMSO because we use it in the genetics lab I work in. We use it to destabilize the double helix structure of DNA when we are amplifying DNA samples.

Do you know why it is DMSO is supposed to help with acne and/or scars?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/31/2014 3:57 pm

This is the one that I'm currently using, and it's especially nice since it has Aloe Vera:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3132425772650789569?q=dmso&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS570&espv=210&es_sm=93&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.60444564,d.aGc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.GDFJ-w8tMYk.O&biw=1032&bih=679&dpr=1&tch=1&ech=1ˆ=vALsUsS6IqSUiAeu-IGADQ.1391198915811.3&sa=X&ei=xALsUoOZAoubkwXzyIGoBg&ved=0CMYBEPMCMAY

BTW If you're breaking out with some serious cystic acnes, you might as well consider going all out and adopting other things in my regimen. Here's a quick rundown:

1. Effective immediately, stop using all skincare products (except makeup, obviously, to cover up the blemishes).

2. Start taking one tablet of Ibuprofen (eg. Advil) per day--preferably with food--to control inflammation, which is what causes hideous scars like pits.

3. Very important! Use only WATER to wash your face twice a day (morning and night). But wash only after applying the Honey/Banana mask (see #5).

4. Don't use facial cleansers and, especially, avoid exfoliants.

5. Every morning and evening, apply Honey & Banana mask for 30 minutes. They're both anti-inflammatory and moisturizing. To prepare the mask, simply crush the banana with a spoon and stir in the honey. More honey you add, thicker the paste.

6. Get the following products (eBay links are provided for general reference):

* DMSO (for zits)

* Castor Oil (scar prevention)

* Rosehip Seed Oil (moisturizer)

If you would like to know about their respective benefits, I suggest you Google each of them.

6a. On a personal note, allow me to state that I have never seen anything that zapped zits so quickly like DMSO, ever! So start applying this magic potion to all your acne, day and night. But beware, this stuff can smell and it will linger for hours. But the benefit definitely outweighs the nuisance of being sniffed by complete strangers. smile.png

6b. Castor oil, which I've been using for ages, should be used by everyone who suffers from acne. It's highly anti-inflammatory and I use it post-needling session to control swelling. It's also known to break up scar tissues. How cool is that? Anyway, wear a thin coat of Castor oil overnight. Then, in the morning, apply the Honey/Banana mask directly over the oil. Rinse off with water and blot dry.

6c. Rosehip Seed Oil, also known to rejuvenate scar tissues, is a miracle concoction that works wonders for sensitive skin. And, geezus, it's the best moisturizer around. Hence, wear this as your everyday moisturizer.

This stuff seems a little to scary to use on my face, I'd def be weary of anything that's sold in hardware store that you put on your face :/

If you're wondering about any potential health hazard, I haven't encountered any. I also searched high and low about possible side-effects, and I found none. There are really only two things that one should be concerned about .

1. DMSO has a very high rate of absorbency. That is, it gets absorbed or sucked up by the skin rather quickly. Hence, it's important to clean the surrounding area where the DMSO is applied since contaminants will also be absorbed through the skin and transported into the bloodstream. But as long as you maintain good hygiene, you should be fine.

2. DMSO emits a garlic-like odor and leaves a bad aftertaste in the mouth that may linger throughout the day. Personally, I haven't seen anyone pinching their nose in my presence but I can definitely taste garlic in my mouth.

Hmmm this is interesting..

I only know of DMSO because we use it in the genetics lab I work in. We use it to destabilize the double helix structure of DNA when we are amplifying DNA samples.

Do you know why it is DMSO is supposed to help with acne and/or scars?

I provided some interesting articles in the previous post. But I'll repost them here for your convenience.

Here's the background history of DMSO, including benefits and controversies (you will also find all-things-DMSO on this site, including detailed toxicology reports and the like):

http://www.dmso.org/...mation/muir.htm

Also read this Sports Illustrated article, very interesting:

http://sportsillustr...ine/MAG1124394/

Finally, is it good for scars too?

http://books.google....ved=0CFEQ6AEwCQ

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/31/2014 4:13 pm

As I already pointed out above, inflammation is the biggest culprit in scar formation. Hence, it's very important to bring inflammation under control in the early stage of the breakout. To do so, you will need to not only apply anti-inflammatory creams but also take oral tablets like Ibuprofen (Advil) or Acetaminophen (Aspirin).

Here's what I've been doing lately to suppress inflammation that have resulted in success to a large extent. The credit goes to another poster on this forum, whose name I can't recall. Anyway, I grind Aspirin into a very fine powder and mix with DMSO. Apply as needed.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 01/31/2014 5:02 pm

I've been breaking out with cystic acne since I'm 13. And I'm now 25 years old so I can tell you that I've tried everything under the sun, except for Accutane. AND DMSO!!!! I'm glad to hear all these great comments and also for all your advice.

I'll be starting this soon enough to see how it will help me =) Thank you so much !!!

I've tried everything Hawaiii! And I don't know what to do anymore how desperate I am. I've spent all my savings on solutions for cystic acne. I've got to say it is the worst to have since it hurts soo bad and it causes so much scarring even if you don't touch them =(

I spent a lot on different products, treatments such as chemical peels, microdermabrasion, light treatment, lasers and facials on a regular basis. These treatments can help at times but HELLO ! THE big friggin cysts are still there, hurting and under the skin. Now at age 25, still on this battle. WHAT THE !!

Plus to make things worse, I keep stressing over it so bad and I feel like hiding. My vacation in Sint-Maarteen is coming up at the end of FEB and my face is full of cysts.

Lets face it ! Laying in the sun is the best solution because my skin is practically flawless every time I'm on vacation ha ha !

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/31/2014 5:16 pm

If you're that much in dire straits (and I know how that feels, having been there and done that), make sure you grind the Aspirin or Advil into the DMSO and apply every 2-3 hours. DMSO will help drag the aspirin into the cyst, which helps bring the inflammation down. No inflammation, no pain.

I also strongly suggest you follow other steps I outlined above. Please report back with your progress and let me know if you run into any problem.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 01/31/2014 5:43 pm

I've got to stay that I'm nervous about putting this type of product on my face but I really believe what you're saying. You are living proof that it helps. I'm afraid about any side affects I might encounter. I'll start this weekend and give you news about the progress.

It's weird, but doctor's used a product called RIMSO to treat my bladder inflammation. It's dimethyl sulfoxide and helped great for inflammation.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/31/2014 6:23 pm

This morning, I woke up with a cyst under my chin that had been festering since yesterday. I felt too damn lazy yesterday to do anything about it and the damn thing managed to rear its ugly head under my nose (while I was sleeping to boot!). So I applied the Aspirin + DMSO combo at around 10 AM this morning (PST) and guess what? After only 5 hours, it's already gone down quite alot. I can still feel a slight bump but no pain whatsoever.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 02/01/2014 5:57 pm

What !!! You have found your miracle worker. I'm so going to try it...

Today I've started a new facial mask that I do at home. I found that it made my face look and feel nice. I purchased green clay powder and mixed it with apple cider vinegar and applied it on my face and left it on for 30 minutes.

WOOWWW! It's great and I found this little recipe on a forum here =) Just thought I'd share it with you guys !!!!!

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 02/01/2014 10:41 pm

What !!! You have found your miracle worker. I'm so going to try it...

Today I've started a new facial mask that I do at home. I found that it made my face look and feel nice. I purchased green clay powder and mixed it with apple cider vinegar and applied it on my face and left it on for 30 minutes.

WOOWWW! It's great and I found this little recipe on a forum here =) Just thought I'd share it with you guys !!!!!

Awesome! And I know what you mean when you have given up because you've tried practically everything. I am in that situation however I still rely on products that work about 75-80% of the time. I do also agree that sun does help alot but if you have cystic acne make sure your applying some-type of non clogging sunscreen because of the discoloration effect that can happen if you stay in the sun to long ex.)

And anything down the natural path is the right step, I am a firm believer that what you put into your body whether good or bad has to be eliminated somehow and I've poured so much garbage into my body from teen years I'm convinced that is why I ended up with acne that I'm still dealing with today.

This morning, I woke up with a cyst under my chin that had been festering since yesterday. I felt too damn lazy yesterday to do anything about it and the damn thing managed to rear its ugly head under my nose (while I was sleeping to boot!). So I applied the Aspirin + DMSO combo at around 10 AM this morning (PST) and guess what? After only 5 hours, it's already gone down quite alot. I can still feel a slight bump but no pain whatsoever.

Also sirius is the DMSO cream spot or like a full facial treatment?

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 02/01/2014 11:33 pm

You're right hawaii. What we put in our body has a major effect on our skin!

But I also think that having numerous health issues and taking different medication can cause skin problems, like my case.

I totally want to give up sometimes, because I take good care of my skin, I drink a ton of water daily, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies but still have acne!! Grrrr

I heard people with severe acne that cut out all dairy products from their diet and their skin is now flawless! Sometimes it's something so simple but we just don't know what!

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 02/02/2014 12:18 am

But I also think that having numerous health issues and taking different medication can cause skin problems, like my case.

I totally want to give up sometimes, because I take good care of my skin, I drink a ton of water daily, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies but still have acne!! Grrrr

I heard people with severe acne that cut out all dairy products from their diet and their skin is now flawless! Sometimes it's something so simple but we just don't know what!

RIGHT?? I really feel like sometimes no matter what I do I will always have to deal with sometype of acne regardless. I eat as healthy as I possibly can, down gallons of water, stay active (more than alot of people tbh) and my supplements/vegetables/fruits are all on point. I really do watch now what I put into my body and I will say it has helped ALOT but about once a week I still get about 2-3 whiteheads and partially inflamed.

I have cut out dairy with special occasions such as events ex.) which is rare like maybe once every 2-3 months haha

-But I am considering going off the products im taking and apply just the "water" regimen which is where I just rinse with water twice a day and use a very light moisturizer morning and night. If this water regimen fails then I'm going to have to turn to the Acne.org regimen which im not condoning is bad in anyway I just wanted to avoid Benzoyl Peroxide if i can help it!

The thing that bothers me the most is sooooo many of my friends dont have to worry about acne or even have the fear of it and they pollute their bodies with trash and some poor hygiene ex.) Idk sometimes I really feel like giving up but at the same time if I do then I would have lost the battle I've been trying to figure out for 3+ years now!

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/02/2014 2:22 am

Hey girls, acne sucks but you shouldn't allow it to control your life. So what if you have zits? You can still have fun. Did you know endorphins, or what I call "happy hormones", are produced in abundance when we're feeling good? Coincidentally, endorphins help boost the immune system to kick out unwelcome intruders like zits. Therfore, don't think too much about acne. That will only suppress endorphins. Just go on with life and and have fun. :)

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/02/2014 2:50 am

Also sirius is the DMSO cream spot or like a full facial treatment?

First, I want to mention that DMSO comes in two forms: gel and liquid. The one that I use is a gel. There's really no need to buy the liquid form since you can make your own by simply adding a little bit of water to the gel.

On that note, I recommend that you spot treat your acne. I would start out slow and apply to a few spots. If you encounter no irritation then you may broaden out to the rest of the face. One thing to keep in mind is that you may experience some sting and itch, not unlike the sensation following a mosquito bite, which can last about 5 to 10 minutes.

Also, depending on the severity of the cysts, I would further suggest that you grind up an Aspirin into a fine powder and dissolve it in hot water (only very small amount of water is needed) and add the content to the DMSO. Pour the concoction in a bottle for future use.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 02/02/2014 7:05 am

RIGHT?? I really feel like sometimes no matter what I do I will always have to deal with sometype of acne regardless. I eat as healthy as I possibly can, down gallons of water, stay active (more than alot of people tbh) and my supplements/vegetables/fruits are all on point. I really do watch now what I put into my body and I will say it has helped ALOT but about once a week I still get about 2-3 whiteheads and partially inflamed.

I have cut out dairy with special occasions such as events ex.) which is rare like maybe once every 2-3 months haha

-But I am considering going off the products im taking and apply just the "water" regimen which is where I just rinse with water twice a day and use a very light moisturizer morning and night. If this water regimen fails then I'm going to have to turn to the Acne.org regimen which im not condoning is bad in anyway I just wanted to avoid Benzoyl Peroxide if i can help it!

The thing that bothers me the most is sooooo many of my friends dont have to worry about acne or even have the fear of it and they pollute their bodies with trash and some poor hygiene ex.) Idk sometimes I really feel like giving up but at the same time if I do then I would have lost the battle I've been trying to figure out for 3+ years now!

I know how desperate you feel. I've been on this battle for 10+ years now. I get huge under the skin cysts that never come to a head. They leave scars and red marks afterwards! I also think stress is a huge factor.

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 02/02/2014 8:00 am

I've spent so much money on huge brands that claim their products will clear up acne. It's all a bunch of bull. They want to make money from us, if their products would actually work they wouldn't have so much buyers !

It might sound silly, but the best products I used so far are the neutragena acne exfoliant and acne spot gel. Great products!