Notifications
Clear all

Will Increasing Accutane Dosage Increase Redness?

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 01/13/2014 12:23 pm

*related to my last post

Almost 4.5 months done a steady 80mg/day course, and when I went to my derm visit a week ago, he suggested I prolong my course (intended to be 4.5, but now he wants around 5-5.5) and increase my dosage to 120mg/day for 2 weeks, and then 160 mg/day for the last 2 weeks.

First of all, I think this is pretty absurd considering I do not have any active pimples (maybe one minor one thats fading) it's just I have redness left after the acne I got on the early stages of accutane which might make it look like there is still acne.

Would increasing/prolonging my course actually make things worse since I really only have redness now? I heard that once you stop accutane, the redness will slowly fade away because your body starts becoming normal and less irritated.

However, I am considering doing the 120mg/day for 2 weeks just to insure I never have acne again, but I am definitely not putting 160mg/day tane in my body..I would dry up like a raisin, plus im already over the cumulative dose range from what I've researched.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/13/2014 1:07 pm

I understand him prolonging the course because you have a greater chance of remission the more your body absorbs but 120 seems really high as well as 160. As far as redness it will start going away after a couple months onces your skin re adjust.

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 01/13/2014 1:19 pm

I understand him prolonging the course because you have a greater chance of remission the more your body absorbs but 120 seems really high as well as 160. As far as redness it will start going away after a couple months onces your skin re adjust.

I have no problem extending the course another month, or .5 of a month, but to increase the dose is just beyond me.

Isn't it about cumulative anyway? I don't think you can get used to an accutane dose to the point where it is ineffective.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/13/2014 1:25 pm

I have no problem extending the course another month, or .5 of a month, but to increase the dose is just beyond me.

Isn't it about cumulative anyway? I don't think you can get used to an accutane dose to the point where it is ineffective.

Yes its cumulative dose. I would stay at 80 and just use it longer.