Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne- Spironolactone And Blue/red Light Therapy (Please Share Your Experience W Me!)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/12/2014 8:38 am

Decided to finally share my journey today as I have been obsessively reading forums, reviews and blogs for the past few months as I began my battle to clear my hormonal acne.

Back story- Started breaking out at 16, hormone related and never went to a derm. Tried to clear it with Birth Control, during college the stress, bad eating, alcohol and no sleep didn't help at all. Tough years as I was an extremely social person before acne took over my day to day thoughts. It's so heart breaking how many years we waste hiding in the dark, not wanting to go outside and avoiding situations. So many things I avoided because of my fear to be seen for my imperfections. It feels so shallow, but I know that with all of your support I am not alone and that so many other people fight this daily and don't talk about it. I tried many things and they did work, B5 overloaded cleared me up save for the odd cyst here and there. I took Yaz and that helped but made me a walking b(^&$#. I pretty much had it under control until a horrible hormonal change and outburst at 25. Cysts allover my chin, painful and growing. I heal pretty quickly and do get rid of the bump whenevevr I could, but would be stuck with an ugly red mark. I decided to go to the derm and all she gave me was clindamyacin. It took a while but eventually calmed things down as I worked on diet, removing dairy etc. I would have several days w no new friends, and small pimples but manageble. Something I could deal with.

Now at 31/32 - I started bodybuilding in Jan of 2013 and was on a strict diet, supplements, vitamins, etc until August. As soon as I stopped heavy bodybuilding my hormones decided to have a rager and return to my chin and jawline. I would say mild to moderate, but what does that really mean? To me it was heartbreaking once again to deal with this. I wasn't getting my period, had way too much testosterone from all of the whey proteins, supplements, muscle building. October/November were rough last year, it was consistent, every day I would have a few inflammed pimples pop up on my neck, jaw, chin, hairline (I do have light blond facial hair, most likely a sign of PCOS). thanks to all of the research I have done, countless hours online and hear at this forum taking all of your advice, I decided to go back to the derm and purchase an at home light treatment in conjuction.

This is where my treatment journey begins:

-Completely removed gluten, dairy, sugar, caffeine and most meat from my diet

-Stopped using toothpaste with flouride and SLS

-Stopped using any shampoo with SLS or Parabens

- I don't wear any makeup, I will only lightly cover a spot with Neutrogena clearing found as a spot concealer

-Added Saw Palmetto, Nettle, B6, Zinc, Vit C. Vit E. Guggul, Vit a and D3

Dec 23rd- Started using blue light therapy and red light therapy at home

Wash face, treat- apply 10-12 min blue light followed by 5-7 min red

Dec 30th- Started spironolactone

The first week of light therapy I felt my skin become a bit softer, still breaking out neck, chin, smaller though and seemed to clear or heal up.

The first week of Spiro, still breaking out every few days, oily still, peeing a lot, light headed for sure. Breakouts seem to be less angy, less inflammed, but still happening.

Jan 12th

3 weeks of light therapy

2 weeks of Spiro

Had my first inflammed cyst like friend show up on my chin last night right before I went out w friends, other than that only one other active red on side of chin that I messed with and made it worse. By the time I got home the cyst came to a head, so the turnaround from inflammed to flat is so much faster than before. I do have small bumps, not red that keep my skin from being completely smooth and that look to be clogged pores that will be purging the stuff that has been stuck underneath. One or two will come to a head not inflammed every few days, so at least it's not all at once. I;ve had a few come up on my forehead that are clearning of clogged pores from the past.

The anxiety that acne can cause is something I can NOT wait to be a part of my past. I am truly hoping that these combined therapies continue to work to calm things done, move out the old stuff and work on completely clearing me up. That is my goal, that is my hope and I truly believe I will do this. I would love to hear about your story, your experience with Spiro or light therapy!

Peave and Love

L

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/12/2014 9:17 pm

Have patience with the spiro, it takes an EXTREMELY long time to work for most people (usually about 4-6 mo). You might consider stepping up your game with a topical if it is cost effective.

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/17/2014 9:37 am

Jan 17th

Today I am 19 days on Sprio and 25 days on Blue/Red light home therapy

This week has been a rough one for sure. I started the last week of my pills before my period and have been breaking out in more inflammed bumps around my jaw, chin, mouth about 5-6 over the course of the week which is more than when I started on Spiro. I am assuming this is part of the initial breakout/purging of what I know were all previous clogged pores. I saw them and they were tiny, and then BAM they would get inflammed and come out. Mentally I know this is the toughest time, obsessed about my skin and just wanting to see real results. I mean for me, I can handle 1 or 2 at a time, but 5 is out of the ordinary since my teenage years and hard to wrap my head around. The anxiety and depression are the tough internal battle.

The pluses that I have seen

-

so far my forehead, nose, upper cheeks have all cleared up and the poors do not look clogged at this time, so hoping that area will remain clear.

The light therapy has helped reduced scars or any red makes from past or current. My overall skin tone is great. I would look fantastic if I covered my mouth with my hand. What a freaking curse lol

Progress is progress even if it doesn't feel like it.

Have made an appt for a Naturopath doctor next week to discuss cleansing of gut, liver and talk about hormones, anxiety, imbalances. She will be running tests on everything. I also have an appt with a Psychologist to discuss my anxiety, my sleep issues and discuss my feelings around these hormonal imbalances and the acne that has caused me such recent low self esteem. It's hard when everything else in my life is going well and I can't seem to enjoy it because of my face. Would love to hear from anyone on their experience !!

Peace and Love!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/21/2014 9:39 am

Jan 21st

Day 23 of Spiro 50 mg

Day 2 of Yasmin

Day 29 Blue/Red light therapy

Day 6- B5 megadose

Status-

Right side (my worse side currrently)- 2 Recovering inflammed Papules (one popped, the other not), 2 smaller red inflammed on chin, a few red marks, 1 small on jawline that I popped to heal, this area is quick healing and not very scarring for me.

Left side - 1 small clogged pore on cheek has been there for weeks is slowly coming to a head, a few clogged pores that could turn into something, one healing mark that was on my jaw line.

Nose- clear (normal blackheads you can barely see, pores seem smaller)

Forehead- 3-4 clogged pores that I am trying to kill with BP as this usually works for this area. Not very visible to anyone of course except me!

Just checking in and holding myself accountable to sharing my journey. Looking forward to getting through this week to see what 1 month on Spiro will bring. I have noticed a slight reduction in oil and need to change my Cerave skin wash to the Dry vs the Oily so that I don't force my skin to produce more oil to combat any dryness.

My breakout last week was really hard on me mentally, I was severly depressed and full of anxiety and have done everything I can to try and not let it bother me, but it does and so I am owning it. The breakout occurred the week before my period, 3 week of my pill. I was on Kelnor/Zovia and have decided to switch to Yasmin so that it will help my chances with Spiro. I've used Yasmin before which pretty much cleared me up say for the hormonal inflammed around my period. I did have a inflammed friend pop up on the side of my right chin, but am slowly killing it with BP. Trying to clear the two inflammed that were also on my right cheek near my nose and lower jaw line. The rest are more manageble smaller clogged pores that I need to control so they don't turn into big friends.

I truly hate being my worse critic. It is affecting my social life and I am so over it. I don't wear makeup and I think that affects my self esteem as I want my clear complexion back and don't want to have to cover up. But I think I may need to start covering up the spots and getting myself out and about and saying F you Acne you won't ruin my life. I know that Spiro will work and with Yasmin I am even more confident. I say this because I have to... I believe and I have faith. Would love to hear about your ups/down/journey and successes!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/22/2014 8:10 am

Jan 22nd

Day 24 of Spiro 50 mg (Originally 25 morn 25 night) Since adding Yasmin, 50 morning and Yasmin at night. How do you guys doll it out??

Day 3 of Yasmin

Day 30 Blue/Red light therapy

Day 7 B5 megadose

Update on face- There is nothing new that is brewing/inflammed on my face at this time. Just the same clogged pores that could turn any moment and one active double friend on my right side of my chin that is slowly going down. Trying not to kill my face with BP, but I just want to zap those suckers. Even though hydration is the theme of the week. We shall see how oil production is today. What does everyone do for these clogged pores? I don't have any over the counter Retin A or Differin at this time and freaked out to use it, thoughts??

Change in cleansing routine/product-

I was really drying out and think this was causing more oil production. So after research I switched to the Cerave Hydrating Cleanser (weird like lotion) for washing, but many have said after a few days it has helped calm things down. I need to break the cycle of overdrying which can make things much worse. I also started using some epsom salts in the shower, many have said this helps with healing and inflammation. We shall see! I don't claim anything as a miracle fix.

Checking in and documenting progress. Feeling a bit blue today, have been spending nights at home hiding away from going out just because I am so sick of dealing with this recent hormonal outbreak and healing from it. I've got two red spots on my right side and I hate wearing makeup as I feel it is doing more damage and not letting it heal. I did order some product from Sephora last night to have for the weekend. In looking at my skin it really isn't severe, but it is definitely not something I am dealing with very well. I do have a doctor's appt tomorrow with a therapist to talk about my sleep issues, self esteem, anxiety that has recently reared it's ugly head. I know many of you can relate that there is a fear to wakeup and things take a turn for the worst. I feel like things are turning around and I really really really want to have hope that I'm out of the worst or the worst for now.

Affirmations- I am not my acne or my red makrs. I am beautiful inside and out. People can see past the marks on my face and see my personality and my humanity. I will overcome my fears. I will overcome this acne. I will balance my hormones and find stability and peace moving forward.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/24/2014 9:25 am

Jan 24th

Day 26 of Spiro 50 mg (Originally 25 morn 25 before 3pm)

Day 5 of Yasmin

Day 32 Blue/Red light therapy (10 min blue/5 min red- morning and night. sometimes skip red)

Day 9 B5 megadose

Update- Starting Doxy today 100mg 2x a day.

My derm is hoping this will help keep things at bay, as the initial breakout from Spiro was more severe than I had experienced prior to going on it. I know there are no miracles, but I am hoping this can help get me through the next month or so and keeping the inflammation and horrendous breakouts from happening. I know clearing still has to happen and that means there will be some breakout, but I def don't need the last round I went through to happen again.

Emotional/Mental effects-

Decided since I was letting this take over my self esteem, confidence and my life for the time being. That I really needed to stop and evaluate how I am dealing with this. I am not plagued, I am just stuck dealing with a crappy situation that just happens to have effects like showing up on my face as an angry red friend. I think I am way harder on my self than anyone else is. Perhaps I put way too much pressure on myself for people to see me as perfect, that she has things under control. Well guess what, I didn't and now I am at least doing something about it. All of the time I spent last year throwing myself into bodybuilding and my body image, to be judged on stage...makes me sad looking back. It was a major cause of this, I reeked havoc on my body, my hormones and my self esteem. This is a year of healing and finding even more balance. I've reduced all of my training and am focused on gentle practice to my body, yoga, barre, meditation. Perhaps in the spring more hiking and enjoying just being outside with nature.

I started seeing a therapist yesterday who gave me some really great tools and made me really step outside of myself. She was calming and it felt really really good to talk to someone from an outside perspective. I've been sharing with friends what I am going through, but having someone really tell you to dig deep, basically put your big girl panties on and deal with this in a more positive way. I am a strong girl. I have been through many many trials in my life. Acne has been one of the, but no one has ever made me feel bad about it. No one, but ME. How crazy is that? I've had boyfriends that I've lived with, friends that saw me at my worst that I lived with. But I put so much pressure on myself to be perfect. Or perhaps because I can't control this, It makes me crazy. I am working every day moving forward to be kinder to myself. Doesn't mean that it won't be hard, but I will pull through this and come out on the other side a better person and hope to help many other women that are dealing with this same thing.

Peace and love and cheers to getting clear for GOOD!!!!!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/27/2014 8:51 am

Jan 27th- I made it to 1 month on Spiro and still kicking 😉

Day 29 of Spiro 50 mg (Originally 25 morn 25 before 3pm)

Day 8 of Yasmin

Day 4 Doxy 100mg 2x a day.

Day 32 Blue/Red light therapy Not really sure this is working much, cut it down to 1 x a day 10 min blue light

B5 megadose- STOPPED this

Herbs/Supplements- D3, A, E, Reservatol, Zinc, Curcumin, Spearmint tea, Nettle leaf, Kefir non dairy probiotic (coconut water, very good!!)

Well I have to say the last few days were a little bit of personal hell. It was 1 week since being on Yasmin and then the start of Doxy, so all of my ting clogs around my jaw, mouth, chin, cheeks are wanting to come out and purge. Thanks to the doxy I have yet to have a swollen one on my face, I treat them with salcyclic acid, BP and yes I have cleared some that are easy enough once they come to the surface. It cuts healing time down and therefore less chance of scaring my face. I was use the Cerave hydrating cleanser but did not like the way it felt at all. I went back to regular Cerave this morning and happy so far. Still producing oil, still dry in some places. Go figure. It is winter so being inside with dry heat or the freezing cold air never really helps much. I still have anxiety a bit in the mornings when I wake up. I mean I haven't had to deal with acne in so long and now it's an everyday battle. It's in no way severe, but this purging time or whatever one wants to call it is worse than anything I've had since I was a teen. It usually was just one or two around that time of the month and then maybe a few due to bad diet, (dairy, wheat, alcohol, etc). I have made it a month and can't say exactly that time has flown by. But I am proud that I am sticking with it, and keeping my head up and my smile on as much as possible. It's weird, I feel so fragile with this, like I have to be so cautious of everything I eat, touch, washing my face, treating it... I just want to be carefree again. There is so much more to life than acne, and I am tired of it consuming me. I have my second appt with a therapist tomorrow and looking forward to talking through these anxieties and learning to let them go. It's a very personal battle trying to correct my hormones and get my body back in synch after destroying it all bodybuilding. I knew there would be consequences but didn't know it would have such a long lasting impact.

Cheers to another day of fighting the good fight!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:42 am

Jan 28th- 30 days! Finished the first bottle of Spiro, man it's been a long journey and still a ways to go.

Day 30 of Spiro 50 mg (Originally 25 morn 25 before 3pm)

• Woke up to what seemed like less oil, we shall see the trend today. Changed my face product back to Cerave Foaming and lowered my BP from 10% to 2.5% and my face is less angry at me.

Day 9 of Yasmin

• Sore boobs and hungry, please say that this is working. I've had NO appetite for the last few weeks.

Day 5 Doxy 100mg 2x a day.

• Inflammation has been gone pretty much since Saturday (3 days now), praying this continues to keep the inflammation down as clearing continues. The clogged pores are clearing slowly but surely. Will be a few weeks I think.

Day 33 Blue/Red light therapy - 10min Blue, 5 min red, working on practicing meditation while sitting in front. Lights are suppose to boost mode as well, so we shall see.

Herbs/Supplements- D3, A, E, Reservatol, Zinc, Curcumin, Spearmint tea, ginger/turmeric tea, Nettle leaf, Kefir non dairy probiotic (coconut water, very good!!)

Diet- NO Gluten, Dairy, Sugar, limited alcohol, limited processed foods, fish, lean meats, tons of veggies, limited berries, coconut butter/oil, flax/pumpkin seeds, coconut, almond milk, gluten free oats. Pretty clean diet :)

Overall feeling very hopeful today, and woke up with a bit of my old self back. When I first started this journey to fix my hormones and get some balance back I still had a good hold on things. Then over the last few weeks as I felt out of control, the anxiety and potential depression side effects from the meds, they are slowly calming down. I can see there has been drastic improvement compared to the last few weeks. I've stopped judging myself and realize that yes, my training may have kick started this, but because I am doing something about it I will be in a better place and am in charge of my plan to take care of my health. I am pledging to start practicing yoga again more frequently. I let go of so many things as I became consumed with overwhelming sense of defeat. No longer...each day I will pick myself up and get back on that horse. Looking forward to being clear, worry and care free once again. Living a clean and healthy life, and letting go of that which I can not control.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/30/2014 8:23 am

Jan 30th-

4 weeks and 4 days Spironolactone 50 mg

Day 11 of Yasmin

1 week Doxy 100mg 2x a day.

• Inflammation has been gone pretty much since Saturday

Day 35 Blue/Red light therapy - Not sure how much this is even working, seriously, what else can a girl fit into a day to clear her skin!!!

So there is nothing miraculous to report except that things are not getting worse. I still am producing oil. I added Glycolic toner into my routine last night, I've used this in the past and really helps to smooth out my complexion, clear dead skin and hope to heal the red marks the initial breakout left behind as a nice parting gift. I've got a lot of congestion on the lower part of my face that needs to clear, it's bumpy and I want it GONE. I feel that the doxy helped keep things from getting to inflammed. Now they just slooooowwwllly come to a head and then either I kill it w BP or clear it. I did mess with one pore I tried to clear on my upper cheek and it became slightly angry. I am sure that will be gone in a day and just leave a lil red mark. I HATE wearing makeup, havent for years. So I get stuck trying to cover my red marks with concealer or just spotting on acne clearing foundation as a concealer and it just sucks. That is probably the worst part right now are the red marks. I need to get over it and understand that it will take time and just work on covering as best as I can for now to keep my confidence and looking in the mirror not a buzz kill.

Been sleeping a bit better, still wake up anxious and wondering what I will be facing in the morning. Man does that ever go away? It's hard to remember just a few months ago what it was like not to worry about my face, acne, 24/7. I am over it and really really need to work on knowing I am on a journey towards healing myself and it takes time. I thought I was patient, clearly I am not. Either way I am nearing 5 weeks. I look forward to what the next few weeks have to bring in regards to healing, clearing and balancing.

Have a great day everyone!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/31/2014 9:07 am

Happy Friday 1/31- Headed to the derm today for my follow up Woot Woot!

4 weeks 5 days Spiro 50 mg

12 days of Yasmin

8 days Doxy 100mg 2x a day

Returning for my follow up appt with the derm today. Blood tests to check on potassium and an overall checkin on my progress, talk about Doxy and how long I should be on it. I surprisingly don't want to increase my Spiro if I don't have to. I have become more balanced and stopped having the crazy dry lips, mouth, fainty, light headed feeling and with the Yasmin, it puts me at about 75mg. Yasmin cleared me up years ago minus 1 or 2 hormonal each month or so. I want to believe that the 50 mg will do its job, but leave it to more time and the experts. As of today I feel very hopeful that things are on the right track. Doxy has definitely been working well, no side effects as of yet. The inflammed acne seemed to subside and then all the comedones around my mouth and jaw and cheeks has been coming out for the last week plus. Adding the glycolic toner has helped to even out my skin tone, soften it and help exfoliate without having to use a scrub or anything harsh. I have fair skin, freckled (it hides A LOT) and so very sensitive and turn red easily. The real test will be in the next few weeks as I finish my first pack of Yasmin to see what happens. Right now its all clearing of whats currently clogged, I have not noticed anything crop up that wasn't brewing already. Wearing just a small bit of concealer today on the hyperpigmented areas from my initial Spiro inflammatory breakout. Will take several weeks for that to resolve, but I tend to heal quickly or hides well. Hopeful, thankful, appreciative that I am on this journey and almost 5 weeks in. I remember the first day, praying and wishing that it was 2 or 3 months from now. But you have to live through the hell and the muck. Kinda luck a lotus flower, it's a muddy mucky journey from the waters bottom to bloom on the surface and be beautiful. The beauty always being there, just clouded and hidden. Hope if anyone is reading this gets a little hope in their own journey today. I don't expect perfection, but I want freedom :)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/03/2014 9:44 am

2/3/2014

36 Spiro 50 mg

14 days of Yasmin

10 days Doxy 100mg 2x a day

Derm appt went well on Fri, not going to up my Spiro as of now, blood test results came back fine and my potassium is in a normal range. This is the week before my period so last month was the time when I had my initial breakout on Spiro. Praying to the gods that with the Doxy and the Spiro going on 5+ weeks I will save myself from an upheaval. Right now I have one active friend on my left side near my chin. Not overly inflammed at all, I had messed with a pore near it on Friday and of course caused more damage then if I would have left it alone. Lesson is, LEAVE it alone. The rough spots with smaller bumps seem to be calming down a bit. Not a major reduction in oil. But even when I was clear I still had a bit and my skin always had a nice glow. I am just waiting for Spiro to help dry it up a bit more. Derm said would need some more time. I've only been on Yasmin 2 weeks now which is an additional 25 mg. I guess I did experience the breakout of all of those small bumps during the first week of it. I've removed using any products that could have also attributed to it. There were 2 that I think exacerbated it unfortunately. But really loving the Glycolic acid toner. My skin tone is looking a bit better, still have marks of course from the initial breakout of the inflammed areas around my mouth.chin, cheeks, about 5-6 spots that are noticeable that I dab a bit of concealer on to blend or to at least not see from a few feet away. I still struggle with even having to cover up and wear any makeup, but thats life. So I need to suck it up and keep on trudging forward. I just want my life to not be on hold anymore because of how I feel about my acne. Scared of a breakout, yet very hopeful because I do believe it is working. It has only been getting better, its just not clear and not perfect, that will take patience and time. I look forward to spring when I can say that the hardest part is behind me and then the work to rebuild my confidence is all that's left. Cheers to another Monday, another week of this journey. Anyone even reading this?! :)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/04/2014 2:13 pm

Ok so no major news reports and breaking stories. Just wanted to say how much these boards are helping me in my journey to getting clear and my self esteem, sanity and confidence back. Where are all of you great men and women in this world though? I feel like the whole world has clear skin sometimes but me lol Well I know no one is perfect, but no one talks about it especially in their 30s. I have a few friends that have mild and persistent acne, but they don't talk about it. I finally started to talk to people about it, what I am doing to fix my hormonal imbalance and it has helped. My sister has a similar hormonal imbalance and was really nice to share with her how upset it makes me and she said the same thing. We've NEVER talked about it until now and feels so damn good to get it out and know that people will love you no matter what you look like, but you have to love yourself too. Acne or acne free. I will work everyday on loving myself, loving the girl who looks in the mirror, the girl who sees something besides her acne. I may be in a bit of a wanting to hide phase right now even though things are not bad at all, I just want them to be perfect and I know that is way too much pressure on myself and this world to ask for perfection. It just seems like there are so many people with clear skin not dealing with these issues, why not me? But then I think, girl you are doing something about it. You said hell no I will not let this ruin me or keep taking over my life. So I am 37 days into this journey, and whatever amount of days this journey will continue I will still fight. Day 1 seemed like hell to me, so if I could make it 37 days without the world crumbling around me, actually good things happening for me, what are another 37 days. Secretly I wish clarity LONG before that. I am giving myself a positive outlook, I won't share what that is, but I will believe it and know it will happen.

Enough of my ranting, not sure if anyone is reading, has read, or will read, but have faith. Know if you are just starting your journey, you are at least starting, if you are in the midst of it, congrats for starting and keep on trucking.

As my Aunt loves to stay... Put your big girl panties on and deal with it! xo

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/06/2014 9:16 am

2/6/2014

39 Days Spiro (50 mg)

17 Days Yasmin

13 Days Doxy (100 mg 2 x/day)

Still trucking along on this Spiro journey. It's about 4 days before my inactive week on Yasmin, so normally now would be the time hell breaks lose. Last night I noticed one smaller swollen clogged pore on my jawline, started to mess with it and then backed off. Have to let it be. The left side of my face is looking much clearer, less clogged pores that are aggravated and HP is fading from the initial breakout on that side. I do have some congestion along the lower jaw near my chin and upper cheek that needs to hit the road. It is such a SLOW process not using Rx topicals to clear, but I'd rather not risk it right now. My right side has been the worst this whole time, still have some clogged areas that are coming up to a head on the lower right jaw area and near my mouth. All very small but rough, bumpy and just don't look cute if you know what I mean. I just want my smooth skin back gosh darn it. Either way this weekend will be 6 weeks so I feel like I've made it this far and I've really been the only one criticizing myself. The guy that I am dating probably doesn't even notice, but it's hard to have my full confidence and be carefree right now. With Sprio I haven't been drinking and my socializing has slowed as I feel like I am in a place of wanting to nurture my self, soul and sanity. I know I can't stay this way forever, but it's winter and hibernating and nesting aint such a bad thing. I've been enjoying inviting people over to spend time, cook in the house and be healthy as much as I can be. It's hard being 32 and having to stress so much about health, balance and every damn thing you put into and on your body. I guess this is a blessing in some ways. We are learning to listen to our bodies, we know when it rejects or accepts something well. It seems like such a superficial problem, but when it has plagued you on and off for years due to hormonal issues, there comes a time when you are just over it. I was day dreaming on the way into work today thinking about Spring and how I can't wait for my clear skin, sunny days, carefree evenings and getting back to my happy free self. I am there, I can feel it, I can see it and am doing everything I can in my power to get there.

Some things that I've added to my diet on a daily basis that I hope will help me while on this medication and to care for myself from the inside. I've reduced a lot of extra supplementation and have cut it down to the basics. Here is my routine:

Yasmin before bed

Supplements in the am:

• Coconut kefir probiotic
  • Vitamin A, E, D
  • Turmeric, Ginger for digestion and inflammation
  • Zinc
  • Spearmint tea
  • Wheatgrass shots
  • Turmeric/Ginger tea

Supplements in the pm:

• Vitamin A, E, D
  • Turmeric, Ginger for digestion and inflammation
  • Zinc

Diet on the regular:

Snacks- Carrots, celery, cucumbers, hummus, garbanzo bean flatbread (homemade), udis gluten free bread w coconut butter, brown rice tortillas, pumpkin seeds, flax crackers, julians paleo bread- either coconut or almond

Meals- Salmon, bison, turkey, chicken breast, kale, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, lots of garlic and ginger, pretty much any veggies, brown rice, sweet potatos, beans, black bean pasta, salad, gluten free vegan burgers, coconut oil for cooking and mrs dash

"Cheats" - Vegan/gluten free coconut macaroons, gluten free cereal, no sugar added coconut milk ice cream (makes my belly hurt but a girl has got to live)

I avoid soy, alocohol, most fruit, corn and white rice.

I restrict dairy, eggs, sugar, chocolate, caffeine and gluten.

When I drink or incorporate it back into my life in the coming months, I will stick with Red wine. It has some added benefits and I truly enjoy the taste. Once I am super clear and less worried, I will enjoy beer again!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/07/2014 10:35 am

HAPPY FRIDAY!

40 Days Spiro (50 mg)

18 Days Yasmin

2 weeks Doxy (100 mg 2 x/day)

So it's Friday and I'm happy enough. Am I clear? No not yet, but I am getting there I can see the transformation. It's 3 days before my inactive pills and last month this time things were NOT good. THe clogged pores I had on my forehead are almost gone. Just been doing Glycolic toner and BP. The clogged pores on my left cheek and area near my jaw are slowly drying up or slowly slowly lessening. There are still a few that may cause problems. But they are not inflammed and just need to apply concealer on a few tiny red areas and decent enough. The right side has been the one causing so much trouble. This week some of the clogged pores that had come out the 2nd part of the IB came to a head and now need to heal and probably a good week or two until HP fades. So for now doing my best to spot cover with concealer...doesn't look great but I refuse to wear a face of makeup I just don't even know how to apply it I haven't worn it in probably 10 years. whatevs, if you can see it, oh well. My oil production has slowed from the first month, but still produce a bit. Just gives me a glow and look less dry so it's not terrible. I had semi oily skin before with only minor blemishes, so I don't think I will dry up completely when Spiro fully starts working, but who knows. It is still so early to tell. I'm going to be 6 weeks this Sunday and that is a great feeling. I mean It has been a small hell for me. Still in it, but working to change my mindset about it all.

MemberMember
(@dizzyabby)

Posted : 02/07/2014 10:39 am

I have been on spiro for 10 months and it took ages to kick in. I found adding differin at night to my routine sped things up a bit. I take 50mg a day, and I am now pretty much clear! If I take 75mg I am completely clear but I find i can get dizzy on that.

Good luck with your journey and stick at it!!!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/07/2014 11:09 am

How I feel about this journey...

post-365458-0-00796800-1391789363.jpg

post-365458-0-00796800-1391789363.jpg

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/08/2014 9:20 am

41 Days Spiro (50 mg)

20 Days Yasmin

2+ weeks Doxy (100 mg 2 x/day)

Woke up feeling anxious this morning. Guess I'm just feeling kind of down today, probably just PMS or moddiness from Yasmin and being on my last 2 active pills. Just wishing it was a month from now and clear. I noticed a bit of a difference this morning, less rough when washing, noticing less small bumps from the last IB. I do however have a few actives, 2 small clogged pores that are just coming out and slightly red near it. 2 on my jawline that are a bit more swollen and just wish they weren't there but it is the week before my period. These 4 or 5 actives could be manageble if I didn't have other red marks/HP from the IB still to cover. Grrrr when will they fade darn it, I didn't pick, I;ve been using Glycolic toner and hoping that helps. I know it will take time, I am just sick of wishing it away. I know antibiotics are not the long term answer by any means, but they have really kept any cysts away. I've really had only one or two swollen ones that I messed with and made them that way. Everything else is really small and just a purging. So it's been about 3 weeks since any of them. I also have noticed I shaved 3 days ago and only have baby stubble on my legs. My eyebrows are growing back less as well. Blonde peach fuzz on my face still there as you would imagine, I think that takes the longest on these meds to even see a difference. Still using blue/red light treatment in the morning after I was my face for about 10 minutes. It's slightly relaxing and I guess it can't hurt at this point. One more day on this fighting journey. Hope if you are reading this you are finding some hope or are having a good day. :~)

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 02/08/2014 10:32 am

Im sorry your having a rough time CarpeMomentum, I wish I could help you in some way but I'm here for you if you ever want to talk or rant I'm all ears :) It was pretty rough for me the first 3 months, I was mad, frustrated, moody, crying at what I saw in the mirror, in two words IT SUX! But we are strong and we are beautiful with or without acne!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/08/2014 11:36 am

Thank you SO much. It's just one of those days I guess, a test of my faith and my strength. Reading your story with this medication and knowing that there is a light at the end helps me believe and know that I am in the middle of it now and that means that much closer to the goal. Time will pass by whether I am happy, sad or pulling it together and sucking it up. I hate letting my life pass me by waiting, you know. It's a hard lesson of patience, tenacity, strength, determination, will and faith. But what is life without tests. Your kind words and your support along with everyone on here are truly truly making a huge difference. I'm not alone.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/09/2014 10:37 am

Its 1 and 1/2 months into my Spiro and today is a good day!! It's a good day because I won't let it be anything but. Spent the weekend with my family, good friends and not one drop of makeup on and let myself just be myself and you know it actually felt really good. I was encouraged by another post I read on here. Other people dont' care if I have some red marks or going through this. Yes a love interest might be someone I feel differently about but I am working on that. I had 4 smaller actives Thursday through the weekend that are all going down, healing on the lower jaw line. I will take that as my PMS breakout and will quickly heal I can tell. The PIH is there, but I am dealing with it, being gentle to my skin and treating it good from the inside. All I can do is keep going each day and looking forward to worrying less and less as time continues. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, however today I will not let it be anything but good! Hope you find the same strength as well. Happy Sunday!

MemberMember
(@pilotphase)

Posted : 02/09/2014 4:17 pm

I would love to see some before and after pcitures?

I have recently had the worst breakout of my life, closed comedones all over my face, i'm starting yasmin this week. I hope things will look better, in a few months from now.

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/10/2014 9:46 am

Hi pilotphase! So I was taking pictures during my worst part of my breakout and throughout and it made me feel so crappy. Like it made me more anxious to see it and focus on it. I will take some pictures tonight of my PIH and see if I can get shots. Right now my biggest problem are the tiny clogged pores, closed comedones that are slowly slowly taking their gosh darn time. I've been using BP on them and it shrinks them and turning some into blackheads that then come out. others get minorly inflammed and turn into a whitehead and I remove them. If I didn't have these I would only have a few actives on my jawline and that's all. This is the hardest part, the slow go. Yasmin cleared me up tremendously on its own in my 20s. So I wish you the best with it. Just finished my first pack and so far so good. Have you thought about Spironolactone before?

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:42 am

44 days Spiro 50 mg

23 Yasmin

2 + weeks Doxy 100mg 2x day

So currently 2 days into the inactive week of my pills, hoping that my period comes. The whole reason for being on this Spiro, Yasmin journey was because of the severe crash my hormones took. No period for 10+ months, persistent hormonal breakouts. The next few days will show if my hormones have started to balance themselves out a bit. My face felt a little less rough and bumpy this morning, again its all of the small clogged pores that I am contending with. Some are deciding to dry up and almost turn into a blackhead and others choose to have a party and get a little swollen. Nothing like the IB however. My jawline is healing with 2 bumps that were blind and painful, and I have 1 clogged pore on my chin that could go either way. Trying to kill it with SA and BP. I haven't noticed any "new" clogs forming, just the same old ones, which is encouraging that this whole thing is working and this is part of the process. It's just crazy that my skin was sooooo smooth before I started and all of this gunk has been unearthed. I find the hardest part is the mental part of it all. One minute I'm like suck it up, your in it, you got this. And the other I am throwing a pity party for myself and wishing this never happened or was already over with. In the end I will suck it up, I'm just trying not to destroy my social life by rushing home to wash my face and avoiding going out so I don't have to conceal the red marks. Honestly the active spots I have aren't the hardest part, it's the red marks that constantly remind me of what happened. It's a lot to wrap your head around when you've been clear for so long. Either way I do feel better today. To the normal eye I look absolutely fine with some cover up. It's not like people are up in my face. Again it's all about my perception. Man our minds are a real trip. Well cheers to another day on this journey. Hope you all are doing well and finding some inspiration, support or encouragement. Things do get better, my treatment is working, it's just in the middle of it all and I have tons of HOPE! xo

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/11/2014 7:19 pm

Not to count my eggs before they hatch, but things seem to have calmed down. Noticed the PIH is not as red tonight and face felt even smoother and less bumpy this evening. Just one inflammed pore right now I am killing with BP ;) Sucker better die in the next day or so before my Vday date. I am determined to feel good Friday no matter what.

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/12/2014 9:13 am

45 days Spiro 50 mg

24 Yasmin

2 + weeks Doxy 100mg 2x day

Pretty happy this morning, had terrible cramps last night which means I am finally getting my period after about a year! This is a great sign that my hormones are starting to get back in balance with Yasmin and Spiro. My skin tone looked a LOT better this am, the PIH is slowly fading. Have to use less concealer which is a fantastic thing. The clogged pores are calming down a bit. I have one active on my right chin right now that cropped up yesterday, started as a visible pore then decided to inflame. Treated with aspirin mask spot treatment and SA and BP today. It hasn;t gotten monstourous so I hope it goes down some in the next day or so. Woke up to a bit less oil this morning, haven't needed to shave my legs in 3 days which is an improvement. My eyebrows are growing in slower as well. All good signs that the medicine is working. I'm 6 1/2 weeks in right now so pretty excited to reach 2 months next week. Less anxiety in the morning, feel like I don't need to run to the bathroom to see what the night brought me. Who knows if this streak of clearing will continue, but my confidence is returning. This log has helped me immensely to see the progress and to keep positive. I am looking forward to a bright and bountiful Spring and leaving these struggles behind me.

Valerie44 liked