Notifications
Clear all

Facial Masks I Recommend

MemberMember
(@katie789)

Posted : 01/10/2014 10:56 pm

Hi guys!!

I've decided to share my opinions on the face masks I use. I haven't used all that many, but the ones I consistently use are amazing.

1. Aztec Healing Clay (AHC)

This is THE BEST facial mask in my opinion. It is your classic green mud mask. It is completely natural and easy to make (2 or 3 ingredients). Here is the science behind how it works, according to the official AHC website:

"The unique structure of the molecules in Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay carry a negative electron charge. This comes from the valance electron count from the specific minerals found in Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay.

When a spectrographic analysis is done on Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, almost every mineral found on Earth is present. Aztec Secret is volcanic Ash from when the Earth was formed It is the foam residue left as the planet cooled. The foam residue formed a pure clay vein layered between white sand, near one of the lowest parts of planet Earth.

When a facial or clay poultice is applied to the skin it forms a negative charge. Poisons and toxins stored in the epidermis have a positive charge - Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay lifts the pimple and blackheads into the clay bed to cause accelerated healing and nourishment to the skin with over 50 minerals."

Pretty cool stuff. Ask for me, I have noticed that my blackheads are "loosened" by this mask. It truly draws stuff out of your pores. Of course, it is not going to just push all of the deeply-embedded sebum plugs out, but it definitely helps draw stuff to the surface. You can actually feel it pulling and tightening around your face as it dries. My skin always appears more glowy and clean the next day. It is also simply really good for your skin, as described above.

How To:

AHC is loose, dry mud that comes in a container. It is recommended that you mix the mud with either water or apple cider vinegar to form a "paste." I personally prefer ACV, as it dissolves the mud better and makes a nice paste (water makes the mud gloppy and chunky). However, ACV can be strong and irritating, especially with sensitive skin, so another suggestion is to use half ACV and half water.

Something I really like to do is mix the clay with aloe vera gel. The aloe vera is more calming and less irritating, and has great benefits for the skin. I recommend this if you have sensitive skin, are in the middle of a bad breakout and don't want to irritate your face more, or have dry skin from the winter or a prescription topical. (I personally enjoy mixing aloe vera gel and ACV to make a really nice and effective mask.)

However, be aware that the AHC will dry out your skin, so be sure to moisturize afterwards.

You can find AHC at health food stores and such. It is fairly cheap - I paid $10 for about a year's supply.

2. Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Mask

This mask is an amazing find. It is very cheap - about $4 for a large tube, and can be found at virtually any drugstore. It is basically an exfoliating sugar scrub for your face. It works wonderfully, and makes my skin smooth, soft, and glowy for days afterwards.

How To:

I wash my face with warm water and apply the mask directly to wet skin. It is chunky because of the sugar, and not that easy to apply evenly, but this doesn't matter much. I leave it on for about 15 mins. It doesn't really dry or anything. I then splash my face with more warm water and begin gently massaging the mask into my skin to exfoliate, and gradually wash it off.

This mask is definitely not as harsh as the AHC, but I still like to moisturize afterwards.

This can also be used simply as an exfoliating scrub and not a mask. Sometimes, when my skin is super flaky, I use it before I cleanse. However, it does not seem to have cleansing ingredients, so I would not use it in place of a face wash.

So - those are my two favorite masks. I also like the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask, although it seems to be a less-effective version of the Aztec. However, it has beneficial ingredients for acne, such as sulfur. It is also nice because it comes in a tube, so you don't have to mix it. It is gentler than the Aztec, so I sometimes use it when I want a hassle-free mud mask that is not too harsh.

Along the same lines, the Freeman Dead Sea Minerals Anti-Stress Mask is a gentle clay mask - even gentler than the Mint Julep. It is nice, but nothing really special. It does clean out your pores to some extent, but does not seem to have any many beneficial ingredients as the Aztec or Mint Julep. I wouldn't run out and buy it, but it is definitely not a mistake purchase. I do use it occasionally.

A mask I DO NOT recommend is the Freeman Peel-Off Cucumber Mask. It does absolutely nothing, except maybe get off some dead skin flakes. It did not lift out blackheads or anything. It is fun to do, sure, but not effective in regards to acne in my experience.

If you guys have any questions, comments, or facial mask recommendations, PLEASE let me know!! smile.png

I am also currently tracking my progress on my new skincare routine (Taz and Doxy), so check out my log if you are interested:

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 01/11/2014 11:04 am

Katie789, thank you for sharing your favorite masks! I have both the Mint Julep Mask and the Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar scrub and I love them both! (:

MemberMember
(@katie789)

Posted : 01/11/2014 12:09 pm

SunnySarah, thanks for your reply!! Those are both really great masks, I'm glad you also like them!