Notifications
Clear all

Hydrocortisone Treatment For Post-Accutane Redness

MemberMember
(@somanyquestions)

Posted : 01/10/2014 1:50 pm

Wondering if anyone has experience with using hydrocortisone to treat that dreadful post-accutane redness. I've unfortunately got it on my cheeks now, and it comes and goes in intensity throughout the day. The pics in my gallery are of the absolute WORST pigment that I get throughout the day. I get to that point for a couple hours out of nearly every day. The rest of the time it is just this pinkish mess on both cheeks. Don't seem to really have it as bad anywhere else.

Anyway I have seen vid journals and reports of the healing process on accutane. It seems a lot of people see the red patches going away within a month to three months. I am talking about the erythema here, not the individual red PIH marks you get from after having acne but I mean the sort of general redness that surrounds a certain area of the face. I have this on each side of my face, both cheeks. That is what I'm dealing with now and I have heard a range of reports. Some have reported it still there after a couple years of waiting but without any picture proof of it still really being there. Some people bitch about the redness when it's really like a barely pinkish flush. When I have problems it is RED, man. Like actually red red red. And when it's bad, it's quite dark (see my gallery). And then most have reported it gone, like I said, within a month or two.

Point is now I'm a little past 3.5 months post-accutane, and I'm still seeing this, same as the pics I took a few weeks ago. It has been getting me worried. I called into my derm and he recommended hydrocortisone 1%. Naturally the first thing I do is google the shit out of this, and it has extremely mixed reviews. I saw a thread with lamar highly recommending it (if you know lamar you know he knows how to treat a fucked up face), and then many other posts disagreeing. Then threads started by some who had had success, and of course the warnings of DEFINITELY DON'T USE IT FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS. Some even recommended no more than one week (I think that is what is recommended on the tube). I saw a post that said they used it for one week and broke out with cysts afterwards (although the person said there were other factors at play, specifically two "liver flushes?"). With all of this in mind, I'm shaky at best about putting this stuff on my face. For some it helped, for some it totally fucked them up. Of course I would never use it past the two weeks that my doc recommended I use it for, but damn I don't even know, even if it did work, that it would be a long term solution.

Give me your experiences with using hydrocortisone 1% to treat post-accutane redness or just general redness/erythema. Really want to get as many opinions as possible. I'm already pretty wary of this stuff from what I've read but maybe if I hear quite a few successes here I may try it for a week or so. Mind you I'm 3 1/2 months off accutane. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/10/2014 3:42 pm

Hey I too have bad redness from Accutane although my face always has been red since I started getting acne/ using harsh products. You probably just have very sensitive skin now. Over time it did get better for me after my first course but I started getting acne again so Im back on it a second time. I have used Hydrocortisone a couple time recently and it does help my redness a lot. Its not a long term solution though.

Whats your skin type like right now? Really dry, normal, or oily?

MemberMember
(@somanyquestions)

Posted : 01/12/2014 8:36 pm

Hey I too have bad redness from Accutane although my face always has been red since I started getting acne/ using harsh products. You probably just have very sensitive skin now. Over time it did get better for me after my first course but I started getting acne again so Im back on it a second time. I have used Hydrocortisone a couple time recently and it does help my redness a lot. Its not a long term solution though.

I think my skin has always been relatively normal. There have been periods of my life where my skin was very dry, but ironically at this point, being post-accutane, my skin just seems normal, albeit very sensitive as anyone who has had bad acne's is. I keep it moisturized all the time, though, so I don't really know how my skin is in its "natural" state. I'm hoping to god what you say is true, but I've been reading a shit-ton on this subject and it's quite scary when you read the 3-year post tane stories about a guy who's redness is still terrible. But on the other hand it's like I've never seen pics of these people (why does no one post pics???) so they could be freaking over bullshit. I saw a guy freaking over what he called rosacea that just had a little pink on either side - was totally clear. If a little pink every now and then were my biggest problem I'd be as happy as Herbert, whoever he is. Anyway point is if HC is not a long term solution (and I know it isn't) then what's the point anyway? I could potentially be risking some bad sides. I've read plenty of horror stories about it, even from after a week or two of use. What the hell do I need that problem for? I don't, so I'm not going to do it, unless someone reports significant, lasting results from it. I've never heard of such a report, so I don't get the point in even trying it, since I DO now have a clear face (albeit a red one) to lose.

Btw no offense but what the hell are you doing on a second round? Gonna look into your gallery but at least from the pic shown you seem literally perfect. I know that pic might not be current, though. You remind me of this guy I was watching on youtube today. Even during his first round, first week, dude was 95% clear. Never even had an IB. He comes out, totally clear, then some time later does a SECOND ROUND, the first day of which, you guessed it, he was totally god damn clear. Then he came out looking like absolute perfection. I don't know, maybe that was his goal? But I didn't see a huge difference. He went from pretty god damn clear to like model status, that's all. At that point, who gives a shit, though. Some of us are fighting just for normal, damnit!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/12/2014 8:44 pm

I think my skin has always been relatively normal. There have been periods of my life where my skin was very dry, but ironically at this point, being post-accutane, my skin just seems normal, albeit very sensitive as anyone who has had bad acne's is. I keep it moisturized all the time, though, so I don't really know how my skin is in its "natural" state. I'm hoping to god what you say is true, but I've been reading a shit-ton on this subject and it's quite scary when you read the 3-year post tane stories about a guy who's redness is still terrible. But on the other hand it's like I've never seen pics of these people (why does no one post pics???) so they could be freaking over bullshit. I saw a guy freaking over what he called rosacea that just had a little pink on either side - was totally clear. If a little pink every now and then were my biggest problem I'd be as happy as Herbert, whoever he is. Anyway point is if HC is not a long term solution (and I know it isn't) then what's the point anyway? I could potentially be risking some bad sides. I've read plenty of horror stories about it, even from after a week or two of use. What the hell do I need that problem for? I don't, so I'm not going to do it, unless someone reports significant, lasting results from it. I've never heard of such a report, so I don't get the point in even trying it, since I DO now have a clear face (albeit a red one) to lose.

Btw no offense but what the hell are you doing on a second round? Gonna look into your gallery but at least from the pic shown you seem literally perfect. I know that pic might not be current, though. You remind me of this guy I was watching on youtube today. Even during his first round, first week, dude was 95% clear. Never even had an IB. He comes out, totally clear, then some time later does a SECOND ROUND, the first day of which, you guessed it, he was totally god damn clear. Then he came out looking like absolute perfection. I don't know, maybe that was his goal? But I didn't see a huge difference. He went from pretty god damn clear to like model status, that's all. At that point, who gives a shit, though. Some of us are fighting just for normal, damnit!

I went on a second course because I started breaking out really bad again and my skin was EXTREMELY oily. My gallery pictures dont show the beginning and when I started my second course I was on Bactrim, Epiduo, and clindamycin but I was still breaking out.

MemberMember
(@somanyquestions)

Posted : 01/12/2014 8:51 pm

Yeah I've had experience with bactrim and clindamyacin. Both were bullshit, didn't help. Don't know about epiduo. Seems like the type of product only people with very moderate acne have success with. Shit I don't know your situation but it seems like you're still in a very good spot from what I've seen in your gallery. Like, you could be much more worse off, like myself. It sucks when you look at yourself and you're bad enough to think that there might be no possibility of full recovery. Whatever though. I'll try everything and anything until this is worked out. Number one consistent priority, other than education.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/12/2014 10:47 pm

Yeah I've had experience with bactrim and clindamyacin. Both were bullshit, didn't help. Don't know about epiduo. Seems like the type of product only people with very moderate acne have success with. Shit I don't know your situation but it seems like you're still in a very good spot from what I've seen in your gallery. Like, you could be much more worse off, like myself. It sucks when you look at yourself and you're bad enough to think that there might be no possibility of full recovery. Whatever though. I'll try everything and anything until this is worked out. Number one consistent priority, other than education.

I agree I could be much worse off than I was. Most of those pictures were taken at the best time especially regarding the redness. I just looked at your gallery as well and I see the redness youre talking about. Is it red all the time? My face will look good in the morning then flush like that in the cold, wind, exercise, etc

MemberMember
(@somanyquestions)

Posted : 01/18/2014 7:14 pm

I agree I could be much worse off than I was. Most of those pictures were taken at the best time especially regarding the redness. I just looked at your gallery as well and I see the redness youre talking about. Is it red all the time? My face will look good in the morning then flush like that in the cold, wind, exercise, etc

No that's when I am actually undergoing a full-on flush, which unfortunately happens a couple hours a day. Not always THAT bad, though. That was an absolutely terrible flush, which is why I felt it perfect to record. I figured it only right to post the absolute worst that it gets. Posting myself normal would be pointless. And even then my "normal" face still has its issues - pih (you can sort of see some of it under the redness) and shallow boxcars/rolling. Sucks, man. I really don't know what the hell to do. All of the glory of modern medicine amounts to "just wait for it to fade." Seriously? I know I can treat the pih, maybe, and scarring, but this flushing shit is seriously worrying. Because seriously how do you treat flushing? The messed up thing is it's a direct result of accutane too. On the one hand, I want the changes accutane has made on my acne to stick around, but on the other, I want the damn flushing to stop. I basically just traded one debilitating problem for another. That being said, a few days back I went over my iphone log of my progression on accutane, and I seriously respect my 10-months-ago-self for even going outside at all. I had one of the worst cystic cases I've ever seen. Don't miss that.

So I'm grateful to not have large, painful, inflamed pustules all over my face (thanks...), but then I'm pissed my face can't stop getting inflamed and red at random times/instances. That's sort of the summary of my current situation. Fuck it though I'll take what I can get.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/18/2014 7:33 pm

No that's when I am actually undergoing a full-on flush, which unfortunately happens a couple hours a day. Not always THAT bad, though. That was an absolutely terrible flush, which is why I felt it perfect to record. I figured it only right to post the absolute worst that it gets. Posting myself normal would be pointless. And even then my "normal" face still has its issues - pih (you can sort of see some of it under the redness) and shallow boxcars/rolling. Sucks, man. I really don't know what the hell to do. All of the glory of modern medicine amounts to "just wait for it to fade." Seriously? I know I can treat the pih, maybe, and scarring, but this flushing shit is seriously worrying. Because seriously how do you treat flushing? The messed up thing is it's a direct result of accutane too. On the one hand, I want the changes accutane has made on my acne to stick around, but on the other, I want the damn flushing to stop. I basically just traded one debilitating problem for another. That being said, a few days back I went over my iphone log of my progression on accutane, and I seriously respect my 10-months-ago-self for even going outside at all. I had one of the worst cystic cases I've ever seen. Don't miss that.

So I'm grateful to not have large, painful, inflamed pustules all over my face (thanks...), but then I'm pissed my face can't stop getting inflamed and red at random times/instances. That's sort of the summary of my current situation. Fuck it though I'll take what I can get.

Actually there are treatments for flushing out there. Most people are saying to wait it out because it goes away for most people after there course.

Some treatments for flushing are V Beam laser and IPL. So youre not hopeless if it really bothers you and doesnt go away. Of course these cost money to get though.

MemberMember
(@somanyquestions)

Posted : 01/18/2014 7:47 pm

Actually there are treatments for flushing out there. Most people are saying to wait it out because it goes away for most people after there course.

Some treatments for flushing are V Beam laser and IPL. So youre not hopeless if it really bothers you and doesnt go away. Of course these cost money to get though.

You sound like me now. Problem is V-beam and IPL, while they are the standards for actually getting something done about PIH (especially v-beam), are not going to stop flushing. They will, however, stop the general redness or PIH that one has. When I say flushing, I mean an onset darkening of the skin color to a reddish hue. Keyword ONSET. It just happens. It's not a natural state of affairs. Some internal or external stimuli causes it to occur. In a normal state of affairs, one might be totally white. But if they have a significant issue with flushing, then when they go out in serious heat, or if they are embarassed, or just for no reason at all (unfortunately the most frequent cause..), then there is nothing a laser can do to stop that. It is completely onset, not just naturally there all the time. And how it can affect someone as seriously as it does in some people such as myself is a phenomenon I do not know how to explain. The only logical explanation I have heard while doing some reading is that the skin may be extremely thin (which accutane causes), so during periods of higher blood pressure/blood movement, the color of one's face is affected because there is a thinner lining between the epidermis and the blood vessels. Makes sense. Is that reality, though? No idea.

Anyway like I just said in the post before, yes, PIH and scarring are treatable. Totally not worried about that. The thing that worries me is the flushing. You're confusing PIH treatments for flushing treatments. And as far as I know, there is no treatment for flushing, because if you think about it everyone DOES flush, especially white people. We flush like hell in every extremely strenuous situation, because our skin is really the weakest skin there is (vs. black people, indians, mexicans, etc.). The issue is in some it effects them tremendously more than just "Oh I'm red for maybe twenty minutes after I just went for an hour jog in the hot sun." For me it's like, "Oh hey, my cheeks are red and inflamed as hell for no reason whatsoever. I was just sitting at my comp and this randomly happened. Now I get to wait for three hours for it to die down." So seriously what the hell do you do for that? I really don't know. THAT'S what worries me. Other things like scarring and PIH at least have treatments that will give you SOME level of improvement. Flushing is just a natural occurrence in human beings, but the problem is my face's (specifically JUST my cheeks') reaction to flushing is astronomically not normal.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/18/2014 9:50 pm

pretty sure it goes away but it takes years