Notifications
Clear all

Could Eating Healthy Be Breaking Me Out?

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:45 pm

Simple question. Sounds like a dumb one but recently I went on holiday and was eating rubbish the whole time and didn't get one single break out the whole time. Literally once I started my healthy eating again, I started breaking out. Anyone else had any experience with this?

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 01/09/2014 9:18 pm

Acne is one of those conditions that people try to correlate with a certain product, food or regime. Whilst people often swear by very specific factors; 'eating healthy' is a far too broad sweeping statement in order to find justification. Perhaps look at certain food that you have eaten or keep a food dairy in order to specifically find your trigger. All the best

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/09/2014 9:19 pm

It's possible the your breakout is actually from all the bad stuff you ate on vacation. Acne takes some time to form.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/09/2014 10:45 pm

All the above, plus there already lifestyle habits that change on holiday. Does eating healthy stress you? Where did you go on holiday? We're you outdoors? How did ou sleep?

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 01/09/2014 11:01 pm

I used to be all into the diet acne connection. While I think it does help with my skin and cuts down on the inflammation, I do not think it is the root cause of my spots. For the past 2 weeks I have been eating pizza, chocolate, candies. fast food, hot chocolate, wings, cereal, butter, bacon, bad fats, alcohol, cigarettes, milk, processed everything, fried everything etc. and I am the clearest that I have been in 6 months. So, while mine not be food related, yours very well may be.

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/12/2014 11:36 am

All the above, plus there already lifestyle habits that change on holiday. Does eating healthy stress you? Where did you go on holiday? We're you outdoors? How did ou sleep?

I wouldn't say eating healthy stresses me at all. I went to San Francisco, I was outdoors quite a bit. I slept okay, some nights having great sleeps, other's I was waking the next morning feeling like crap.

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/12/2014 7:34 pm

I used to be all into the diet acne connection. While I think it does help with my skin and cuts down on the inflammation, I do not think it is the root cause of my spots. For the past 2 weeks I have been eating pizza, chocolate, candies. fast food, hot chocolate, wings, cereal, butter, bacon, bad fats, alcohol, cigarettes, milk, processed everything, fried everything etc. and I am the clearest that I have been in 6 months. So, while mine not be food related, yours very well may be.

Hmm, interesting. So if yours isn't food related, what else have you done/are you doing to prevent your acne? Or are you just simply not doing anything. Because that's the route I feel like taking!

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 01/12/2014 8:15 pm

Well at this point in time yes, I am doing absolutely nothing besides trying a different round of antibiotics my derm prescribed. I am doing whatever I want and my acne is still just the same regardless of what type of food I am consuming. I am about to start eating vegan again only because since Christmas I've put on 15 lbs and starting to just feel shitty in general from all the toxins in our modern food. I have been on this site for a couple months and have done everything that has ever been mentioned on here to get rid of acne. I have come to accept that I might just have over active glands since I was just diagnosed with serborrehic dermatitis, this might be something I have to deal with my entire life. At this point I am more focused on keeping my acne to a minimal and trying to get some improvement in minor yet evident scarring on cheeks. Best of luck to everyone here as I have talked face to face with people who had acne 100% food related, don't smash someone's theory because yours wasn't caused by the same means..

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 01/13/2014 2:56 pm

I have acne that is 100% food-related. However, just because eating junk does not make you break out does not mean that it's okay for your body. Epigenetics play a role in what food does to our bodies. Food-related acne is the canary in the coal mine alerting the sufferer to the damage that terrible food and nutritional deficiency are causing their body. Similar damage is occuring in those that do not suffer from diet-related acne, but they won't know about it until they have an obvious symptom of chronic inflammation like arthritis or heart disease.

I think I should also note that my idea of healthy food involves lots of vegetables, minimal fruit (sugar) saturated fats and butter, as well as some dietary cholesterol (from organic, pastured sources) which are actually necessary for proper cellular function. I suspect that if someone suffers from acne when eating "healthy", that they are not getting enough sources of dietary fat including the very important omega 3 and omega 6 fats that your skin needs to function normally. For instance, I had a good friend with cystic acne that ate entirely vegan, and her acne only went away when she started eating pastured chicken with the skin, animal organs like liver, cold water fish like salmon, pastured eggs and butter regularly. She also had to omit grains almost entirely, as insulin spikes were causing a large part of the inflammation fueling her cystic acne, and grains made up a large portion of her diet.

I believe that humans can survive (and have survived) quite well on diets with large amounts of fat (the Inuit, for example), and only when we added in large amounts of grains and refined sugars did the diseases of civilization (acne, diabetes, cavities) emerge. If your acne goes away when eating junk, it could be that your body was craving fat as part of your diet. The type of fat that one gets from fried foods and junk is probably not optimal quality, but the body is making do with it in the short term. Try eating healtfully, but avoid dairy and grain and get lots of healthy fats from pastured, wild, or free-range sources (avoid grain-fed factory beef and chicken like the plague). See if that helps. I have also begun adding organic unflavored gelatin to many of my bone broths and stocks as an added source of protein, but this has also helped my skin's appearance and texture overall...