Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne Woes

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 01/08/2014 8:15 pm

So, I know I have hormonal acne. I have all the signs of excess androgens (acne, excessive body hair, hair shedding on head, excessive sweating). I have been on Accutane several years ago and it took less than two years for my acne to creep back.

I have been on bc for the past year (Alesse, which was terrible, Ortho tri cyclen lo, which was okay, and now Ortho cyclen, which has shown very little improvement).

I asked my derm for spiro. I am going to ask the doctor I see at my uni clinic next week, and see what she says. If she refuses, I feel I have run out of options and think my only option is to get an anti-androgen bc.

I am on my third month of ortho cyclen and it is not doing much for me. I know it is early, but considering I have other signs of androgen excess, I see now that it won't help me enough. I was just too scared of an IB from switching to ortho tri cyclen lo to yasmin or diane 35, so I switched to the similar ortho cyclen.

So, if I can't get spiro, which birth control should I get? I am thinking Yasmin or Diane 35, but I don't know which anti-androgen progesterone is more effective.

Any advice? This effort to stop acne is getting tedious and depressing sad.png

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:19 pm

I'm on Beyaz and it did great things for me. Yasmine is similar to Beyaz, but with more estradiol. I'm not sure about the differences in Yasmine and Diane-35, though.

I did get on Spironolactone about a month and a half ago, and it's doing a great job of keeping the spots at bay during my "no pill" days.

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 01/09/2014 6:17 am

Hi there! Hope I can help you out a little bit. 3 months isn't enough time in my opinion. I've been taking a pill called desogen and it took close to six months to really see results. I would try and hit the five month mark on ortho cyclen before switching. If you can't get Spiro i would go for Yasmin. Diane has terrible side effects from what I've heard. Keep in mind that the progestin in Yasmin has similar effects to spiro. If I were you if ortho cyclen doesn't work switch to Yasmin and add in a small to moderate dose of Spiro. Start with 25 then go to 50 if you feel OK with the side effects. You won't need to jump to 100 mg if your taking it with Yasmin because again the progestin in Yasmin is anti androgenic.

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 01/09/2014 8:29 am

Hi there! Hope I can help you out a little bit. 3 months isn't enough time in my opinion. I've been taking a pill called desogen and it took close to six months to really see results. I would try and hit the five month mark on ortho cyclen before switching. If you can't get Spiro i would go for Yasmin. Diane has terrible side effects from what I've heard. Keep in mind that the progestin in Yasmin has similar effects to spiro. If I were you if ortho cyclen doesn't work switch to Yasmin and add in a small to moderate dose of Spiro. Start with 25 then go to 50 if you feel OK with the side effects. You won't need to jump to 100 mg if your taking it with Yasmin because again the progestin in Yasmin is anti androgenic.

I'm on Beyaz and it did great things for me. Yasmine is similar to Beyaz, but with more estradiol. I'm not sure about the differences in Yasmine and Diane-35, though.

I did get on Spironolactone about a month and a half ago, and it's doing a great job of keeping the spots at bay during my "no pill" days.

Thank you both for the advice! I will think some more about Yasmin. I will try to be patient and give ortho cyclen a chance to work, in the mean time, I will continue to try to get spiro!

MemberMember
(@nuckingfuts)

Posted : 02/25/2014 11:29 am

So, I know I have hormonal acne. I have all the signs of excess androgens (acne, excessive body hair, hair shedding on head, excessive sweating). I have been on Accutane several years ago and it took less than two years for my acne to creep back.

I have been on bc for the past year (Alesse, which was terrible, Ortho tri cyclen lo, which was okay, and now Ortho cyclen, which has shown very little improvement).

I asked my derm for spiro. I am going to ask the doctor I see at my uni clinic next week, and see what she says. If she refuses, I feel I have run out of options and think my only option is to get an anti-androgen bc.

I am on my third month of ortho cyclen and it is not doing much for me. I know it is early, but considering I have other signs of androgen excess, I see now that it won't help me enough. I was just too scared of an IB from switching to ortho tri cyclen lo to yasmin or diane 35, so I switched to the similar ortho cyclen.

So, if I can't get spiro, which birth control should I get? I am thinking Yasmin or Diane 35, but I don't know which anti-androgen progesterone is more effective.

Any advice? This effort to stop acne is getting tedious and depressing sad.png

try 2% lugol's iodine + selenium + sea salt in distilled water.................lugol's helped immensely with my cystic acne and also reduced my hairloss by more than half.

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 03/06/2014 2:20 pm

Try saw palmetto, but give it time. Its my third month with two capsules daily and now i am seeing some progress. Recently i started vitex in combination. I think both are androgen blockers. In the past i was on diane35 (named gynofen 35 in europe) and i was crystal clear, but since i cant take it anymore i went the natural way.

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 03/06/2014 9:45 pm

Try saw palmetto, but give it time. Its my third month with two capsules daily and now i am seeing some progress. Recently i started vitex in combination. I think both are androgen blockers. In the past i was on diane35 (named gynofen 35 in europe) and i was crystal clear, but since i cant take it anymore i went the natural way.

I definitely would, but I am on the birth control pill right now and it seems like it might interact with it

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 03/07/2014 4:47 am

It sure is interacting. If you want to start supplements like sp you have to give up the pill. From my experience its a good alternative. Best of luck!!!

I definitely would, but I am on the birth control pill right now and it seems like it might interact with it