Notifications
Clear all

Cystic Acne Is Often A Lifelong Disease

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/07/2014 8:11 pm

Better get used to it, sorry. Knowing what I know working as a receptionist for a laser/cosmetic surgery clinic in the past many people definitely struggle with ongoing cystic acne well into their 20's/30's/40's and beyond. It is not a self limited disease and people do not grow out of cystic acne, it is something that is chronic through a persons life. The owner of this website is not being honest when he states in the information section that acne usually subsides by age 20, this is utterly false and he know it too! Dan is in his mid 40's and still is very acne prone. It is in the genes!

Sorry folks, you will always be acne prone.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/07/2014 9:20 pm

I'm OKAY with being acne free and acne prone. :).

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 01/07/2014 10:47 pm

I can't help but notice the financial incentive lol.

But anyway my acne may not be gone, but I can defenatly say it's gotten much better without doing much exept washing my face with water in when I wake up

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/07/2014 10:58 pm

But anyway my acne may not be gone, but I can defenatly say it's gotten much better without doing much exept washing my face with water in when I wake up

What I'm trying to say is that most people here will likely always be acne prone - granted that doesn't mean they'll always have active acne lesions all over their face in cystic mounds. It only means they'll likely require lots of skin maintenance whether that be from topicals, medications ect. through their life to keep the disorder at bay. It gives people false hope to say they'll just "grow out of it" at a certain magical number when it's clearly not true.

MemberMember
(@themastapeanut)

Posted : 01/10/2014 8:09 pm

I'm curious about your thoughts on hormonal imbalances. Could cystic acne not be caused specifically by certain hormones, such as dihydrotestosterone? Dihydrotestosterone is an androgen that stimulates the sebaceous glands, which increases sebum production. During a person's teenage years, this androgen gains special attention from enzymes and becomes synthesized at a much faster rate. I think it's very possible that when a person becomes sexually developed, he/she no longer requires such large amounts of this hormone, and because of this change, it's possible that their acne may dramatically improve or completely disappear. Of course this may not be the case, but it does leave much to be discussed. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you have any articles or sources to prove your claim?

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 01/10/2014 8:39 pm

Your external health is shown as a reflection of internal problem(s) or an underlying issue within, the sad fact about my statement is that people don't want to believe it. Not always 100% the case for everyone that struggles with acne. But when Derms/Creams/Washes/Pills ex.) Don't work chances are your dealing with an internal problem.

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/11/2014 11:45 am

I'm curious about your thoughts on hormonal imbalances. Could cystic acne not be caused specifically by certain hormones, such as dihydrotestosterone? Dihydrotestosterone is an androgen that stimulates the sebaceous glands, which increases sebum production. During a person's teenage years, this androgen gains special attention from enzymes and becomes synthesized at a much faster rate. I think it's very possible that when a person becomes sexually developed, he/she no longer requires such large amounts of this hormone, and because of this change, it's possible that their acne may dramatically improve or completely disappear. Of course this may not be the case, but it does leave much to be discussed. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you have any articles or sources to prove your claim?

no. most people with cystic acne do not have a hormonal imbalance, they have hormones within the normal range with an increased sensitivity to androgens and overactive oil glands.

A hormonal imbalance does not just exist on it's own or arise spontaneously, it is usually an inborn disease and very uncommon amongst the general population. You'd be surprised how serious the symptoms of a true hormonal disorder actually are, it can literally be fatal.

Your external health is shown as a reflection of internal problem(s) or an underlying issue within, the sad fact about my statement is that people don't want to believe it. Not always 100% the case for everyone that struggles with acne. But when Derms/Creams/Washes/Pills ex.) Don't work chances are your dealing with an internal problem.

All acne is genetic and created by androgen sensitivity as a hormonal by-product. It is also a life long predisposition as once androgen sensitive, always androgen sensitive. It's in your genes.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/12/2014 2:04 am

What about the people that take accutane and are 'cured'. Granted most of them aren't cured but the ones who are rarely/never break out again...what happens to their hormones?

MemberMember
(@nicolacat)

Posted : 01/13/2014 3:15 pm

Hopefully this is a positive post..!

I went to school with two people who had the most horrendous cystic acne. I am talking giant boils all over the face and neck. One poor lad took 8 months off school because he could not mentally cope with it ,however, one course of roaccutane and he was clear, I still see him now 20 or so years later and his skin is still clear (he did have laser resurfacing for some scarring). He is married, couple of kids and doing well. My best friend cleared hers through the use of dianette and she is still clear. I know of many other people who have simply outgrown acne over the years, I also know some people (all women)approaching late thirties and forties who have got cystic acne for the first time.I have just started getting acne again at the age of 40 so in a way it is true that for some people it is a lifelong thing but it is worth pointing out I did have nearly twenty years of pretty clear skin after teenage acne.I think it is true that if you are acne prone the tendency for spots will always be there but it does not mean that you will be spending every day of your life acne ridden! For me dianette and BP/ retin A gave me twenty or so years of largely clear skin but now I am approaching middle age (gulp) I suppose my hormones must have shifted again. I am now taking low dose roaccutane (20mg every other day). Don't give up, trust me nothing stays the same!! Your skin changes throughout your life and nearly everyone hits on the right treatment eventually. One good thing, my dermatologist said I had remarkably young looking skin for a 40 year old so don't completely curse that oily skin ( although I have been doing lately!). xx

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/13/2014 5:08 pm

You've nailed it square on the head. As a long time sufferer of cystic acne myself, the holy grail that finally cured the disease was H2O. I now wash my face with ONLY water and drink (and drink more) water. Yes, I do get a breakout from time to time but it doesn't flare up as it used to. I just now need to deal with these scars!

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/13/2014 7:38 pm

You've nailed it square on the head. As a long time sufferer of cystic acne myself, the holy grail that finally cured the disease was H2O. I now wash my face with ONLY water and drink (and drink more) water. Yes, I do get a breakout from time to time but it doesn't flare up as it used to. I just now need to deal with these scars!

Hopefully this is a positive post..!

I went to school with two people who had the most horrendous cystic acne. I am talking giant boils all over the face and neck. One poor lad took 8 months off school because he could not mentally cope with it ,however, one course of roaccutane and he was clear, I still see him now 20 or so years later and his skin is still clear (he did have laser resurfacing for some scarring). He is married, couple of kids and doing well. My best friend cleared hers through the use of dianette and she is still clear. I know of many other people who have simply outgrown acne over the years, I also know some people (all women)approaching late thirties and forties who have got cystic acne for the first time.I have just started getting acne again at the age of 40 so in a way it is true that for some people it is a lifelong thing but it is worth pointing out I did have nearly twenty years of pretty clear skin after teenage acne.I think it is true that if you are acne prone the tendency for spots will always be there but it does not mean that you will be spending every day of your life acne ridden! For me dianette and BP/ retin A gave me twenty or so years of largely clear skin but now I am approaching middle age (gulp) I suppose my hormones must have shifted again. I am now taking low dose roaccutane (20mg every other day). Don't give up, trust me nothing stays the same!! Your skin changes throughout your life and nearly everyone hits on the right treatment eventually. One good thing, my dermatologist said I had remarkably young looking skin for a 40 year old so don't completely curse that oily skin ( although I have been doing lately!). xx

I hate to tell you this but having oily skin that's acne prone actually speeds up the aging process as inflammatory acne destroys collagen which leads to wrinkles prematurely. People with truly inflammatory acne that is persistent age very poorly from what I've seen.

Also my mother is in her early 60's and has used Retin-A for years for both wrinkles and acne scarring however it didn't do anything glorious for her skin over time (lost it's effect), she's now using glycolic acid and seems to be getting better results.

MemberMember
(@nicolacat)

Posted : 01/15/2014 2:21 pm

> Hopefully this is a positive post..!

I hate to tell you this but having oily skin that's acne prone actually speeds up the aging process as inflammatory acne destroys collagen which leads to wrinkles prematurely. People with truly inflammatory acne that is persistent age very poorly from what I've seen.

Also my mother is in her early 60's and has used Retin-A for years for both wrinkles and acne scarring however it didn't do anything glorious for her skin over time (lost it's effect), she's now using glycolic acid and seems to be getting better results.

Oh hell don't tell me that! To be honest I only started to get real cystic acne in my late thirties, before that I would get a cyst maybe once or twice a year. Its a horrid disease but I am staying positive . I think the aging thing is largely due to genetics, also smoking, sunbathing etc play a part. It does make sense that an inflammatory disease would age the skin. Retin A was fab for my skin. I t really did make a difference wrinkle wise, unfortunately it made no difference with the cysts...:(

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 01/18/2014 9:19 am

This post is pretty insensitive to the people coming here to seek emotional support. Also, it's innacurate. Completely false.

Some of us are, indeed, more prone to develop acne than others, but it does not mean we are doomed to deal with it forever. I'm sick of poeple dooming themselves to substandard lives because of their genetics. "I'm overweight because it's genetic." "I have back problems, always will, it's in my genes." "My relatives died of ___ so more than likely I will too, it's genetic."

The human genome is NOT that defective!

Your body is amazing if you let it be. Your diet and lifestyle decide how your genes express themselves, and also how and how rapidly they degrade. If you spend all your time in front of a computer, eating a standard Western diet (even a "healthy" one), feeling stressed, angry and depressed, your genes are lacking everything they need to express themselves in a healthy way. You cannot tell me that a native tribe eating natural, real foods and living an active, low-stress lifestyle doesn't have acne simply because it's not in their genes. Are they less human than you?