Notifications
Clear all

Every Pimple Is Leaving A Red Mark...for Months!

MemberMember
(@gracie25)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so don't really know how this works...but here's my story.

Last year I started using epiduo, after a few months I was 90% clear.

For some odd reason I decided to stop using epiduo. And guess what? I started breaking out again!

I went back to the dermatologist and she put me on atralin.

I used atralin for 6 weeks and it made my acne 1000x worse.

I was so sad and frustrated. I quit the atralin and decided to go back to my old regime which got me 90% clear (epiduo and oracea).

Although my acne is slowly clearing, I have a TON of red spots from old pimples.

They are mostly on my cheeks.

I can't even cover them up with make up.

I haven't left my house in a month...

Does epiduo help or worsen these red spots because some days I seem improvement and some days they look worse...

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to get rid of these ugly red marks?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@interested19)

Posted : 01/08/2014 1:14 am

Sorry to say but all you can do is wait, it will take about 6 months or more if the pimples were severe. Although, I can recommend you to use lemon juice diluted in water as a toner every night, I used it for 2 weeks and I could really see my redness subsided a bit.

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 01/08/2014 2:47 pm

You need to exfoliate, preferably chemically with a chemical exfoliant like gylcolic acid in a facewash (i got mine from sk:n clinic), as this helps renew the skin and shed off the old. You could do it manually with a scrub, but these can irritate the acne you have, plus its tempting to rub hard and irritate the skin altogher.

Sun cream helps stop them getting darker, although theres not much sun atm.

Could use a retinoid, like differin, from the drs as this exfoliates too.

Drink water to help flush them out.

exercise to improve circulation and complexion.

Lemon juice is an acid and if you do use it you cannot go out in the sun (same goes for the acid and retinoid) without suncream as they will cause brown patches on skin.

These are flat marks which are not permanent so please dont worry, they are not scars. They do not hurt either so count yourself lucky.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@kinso89)

Posted : 01/08/2014 3:03 pm

I feel your pain but I'm grateful it don't have it on my face but chest and back there so annoying they show up worse in different lighting and always look 10x worse after you build up a sweat working out I've just started applying hydroquinone 4% mixed with retin a 0.025% I'm not too hopeful it will work though

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/08/2014 4:08 pm

you should fix your diet and find the real cause for your acne internal or else you going to keep getting acne

MemberMember
(@kinso89)

Posted : 01/08/2014 4:23 pm

you should fix your diet and find the real cause for your acne internal or else you going to keep getting acne

It's not as easy as that I've changed my diet I eat hardly any saturated fats no sugar except natural fruit sugars, I eat lots of veg no alcohol I drink 5 litres of water a day and I'm breaking out worse now

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/08/2014 4:49 pm

It's not as easy as that I've changed my diet I eat hardly any saturated fats no sugar except natural fruit sugars, I eat lots of veg no alcohol I drink 5 litres of water a day and I'm breaking out worse now

how about smoking ? oil ? where are you breaking out

MemberMember
(@kinso89)

Posted : 01/08/2014 4:52 pm

I'm breaking out on my back chest and neck the places where they leave stubborn red marks I don't smoke and I'm not sure what you mean by oil?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/08/2014 6:27 pm

I'm breaking out on my back chest and neck the places where they leave stubborn red marks I don't smoke and I'm not sure what you mean by oil?

if you get back and chest it usually from meat and vegetable oil when u cook food

MemberMember
(@gracie25)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:30 pm

I drink water alllll day, work out like it's my job, and eat pretty healthy! I think the atralin broke me out, which led me to use a heavy foundation, which broke me out even more! So, I stopped both and the acne seems to be stopping too, just these stupid flat red marks everywhere!

You need to exfoliate, preferably chemically with a chemical exfoliant like gylcolic acid in a facewash (i got mine from sk:n clinic), as this helps renew the skin and shed off the old. You could do it manually with a scrub, but these can irritate the acne you have, plus its tempting to rub hard and irritate the skin altogher.

Lemon juice is an acid and if you do use it you cannot go out in the sun (same goes for the acid and retinoid) without suncream as they will cause brown patches on skin.

These are flat marks which are not permanent so please dont worry, they are not scars. They do not hurt either so count yourself lucky.

Good luck!

Thank you for all your tips! I know that epiduo has some adapalene in it, but not sure what that is? I read online it was a type of retinoid so hopefully that will help with the exfoliation??

Good luck!

I was also considering getting a gylcolic peel... Not sure if I can while using the epiduo though.

Sorry to say but all you can do is wait, it will take about 6 months or more if the pimples were severe. Although, I can recommend you to use lemon juice diluted in water as a toner every night, I used it for 2 weeks and I could really see my redness subsided a bit.

Ouch the thought of rubbing lemon on my face while it is so red and burnt from the epiduo gives me chills!!! But beauty is pain...I'll give it a try. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:32 pm

The red marks can be faded quicker with certain topicals, the only natural cure is time. Yes, it may take a pretty long time for all of them to disappear but don't fret they will. Just be glad you dont have any real scarring such as indents and wait it out and do some research in your preferred search engine on how to fade red marks.

MemberMember
(@gracie25)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:36 pm

The red marks can be faded quicker with certain topicals, the only natural cure is time. Yes, it may take a pretty long time for all of them to disappear but don't fret they will. Just be glad you dont have any real scarring such as indents and wait it out and do some research in your preferred search engine on how to fade red marks.

Good point, temporary red marks are better than indents! I was wondering if epiduo improved or worsened them though. I heard benzyol peroxide makes them more red, but adapalene exfoliates skin, soooooo....confused.

MemberMember
(@kinso89)

Posted : 01/09/2014 12:48 am

Good point, temporary red marks are better than indents! I was wondering if epiduo improved or worsened them though. I heard benzyol peroxide makes them more red, but adapalene exfoliates skin, soooooo....confused.

I will let you know how my retina a and hydroquinone regimen I'm doing is working in a coue of weeks I've heard mixed reports about it

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 01/09/2014 4:54 am

adapalene is what is in differina and thats what i use to fade my marks, it can sometimes make your skin a bit dry.

retinoids also helped my acne scars, as they promote collagen production.