Notifications
Clear all

Back Hyperpigmentation Treatment Options

MemberMember
(@tiff95)

Posted : 01/07/2014 12:47 am

Hi all, I've been checking a number of threads to see if there's anyone out there who's had success with treating PIH on the back with lasers, but haven't found any yet. I used to break out a lot on my back; it started when I was around 14 or 15. I'm 18 now and for the past year or so the breakouts have been much milder, usually just one or two occasional pimples. I used to pick at them (so bad), but even when I don't, they still almost always end up leaving brown marks. My PIH is moderate I'd say, maybe mild in contrast to some other cases. But it's definitely noticeable and there are a lot of spots. All these hyperpigmentation marks have been bothering me for a couple years now, as they don't seem to be fading much at all despite such a long time. Back in November 2013 I decided to see a dermatologist who prescribed me 4% hydroquinone to apply to the marks. He said I should see results in about 2 months. Problem is, it's really difficult for me to apply the cream on each and every mark on my back, especially without getting it on the rest of my unaffected skin. I had been applying it once daily, then reduced it to every couple of days or so as I notice it tends to make me to break out wherever I apply it! So far I see zero change whatsoever in any of my marks...and hydroquinone isn't something I intend on using longterm.

I really miss being able to wear the clothes I could wear in the past but the PIH on my back seems pretty stubborn. I haven't tried chemical peels, because most peels seem to be targeted for the face and I'm thinking the skin on the back is much thicker and more difficult to treat. But do let me know if you have any suggestions...maybe the Vi peel? I read up on laser treatments, but there are so many types of lasers and mixed reviews on what they're each capable of treating, so could someone enlighten me on which laser treatment would be best suited for treating post inflammatory hyperpigmentation marks on the back/shoulders? Please correct me if I'm misinformed, but I was thinking IPL might be helpful. I have olive/medium East Asian skin, I'm guessing Fitzpatrick skin type III or IV.

I plan to make an appointment to see another dermatologist in a couple weeks to ask about laser. PLEASE, if anyone can offer me some advice, I'd be so grateful. Any other information or personal experience would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@y0y0ma)

Posted : 01/07/2014 5:33 pm

I don't have any experience with back PIH, but any type of exfoliation has never worked for me on the PIH on my face, and has only made it worse by damaging my skin.

You should check out my post on PIH.

Now different skin types might have different kinds of PIH, I don't know. Some pics might help me to see if they're similar to the ones I had.

Also another thing you could try is getting a more alkaline (opposite of acid) diet. I'm trying this, and I don't know if it'll work. There are doctors who say that if you get a more alkaline diet, then your scars will go away, and that scars are just a way of your body dealing with an overly acid diet.

Heres a link to a list of alkaline/acid foods.

[Removed]